Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Bishop urges Christians to call God 'Allah'
Catholic leader believes it would help ease tensions between religions

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Posted: August 15, 2007
3:28 p.m. Eastern

Bishop Tiny Muskens (Courtesy Radio Netherlands Worldwide)
Catholic churches in the Netherlands should use the name Allah for God to ease tensions between Muslims and Christians, says a Dutch bishop.

Tiny Muskens, the bishop of Breda, told the Dutch TV program "Network" Monday night he believes God doesn't mind what he is called, Radio Netherlands Worldwide reported.

The Almighty is above such "discussion and bickering," he insisted.

Muskens points to Indonesia, where he served 30 years ago, as an example for Dutch churches. Christians in the Middle East also use the term Allah for God.

"Someone like me has prayed to Allah yang maha kuasa (Almighty God) for eight years in Indonesia and other priests for 20 or 30 years," Muskens said. "In the heart of the Eucharist, God is called Allah over there, so why can't we start doing that together?"

Muskens thinks it could take another 100 years, but eventually the name Allah will be used by Dutch churches, promoting rapprochement between the two religions, he said, according to Radio Netherlands.

However, a survey published today in the Netherlands' largest newspaper, De Telegraaf, showed 92 percent of the more than 4,000 people polled oppose the bishop's view, the Associated Press reported.

Some letters to the paper were filled with ridicule for the bishop.

"Sure. Lets call God Allah. Lets then call a church a mosque and pray five times a day. Ramadan sounds like fun," wrote Welmoet Koppenhol.

The chairman of the Protestant Church in the Netherlands, Gerrit de Fijter, told the Dutch paper he welcomed any attempt to "create more dialogue," according to the AP. But he said, "Calling God 'Allah' does no justice to Western identity. I see no benefit in it."

A Muslim spokesman, for Amsterdam's union of Moroccan mosques, said Muslims had not asked for such a gesture from Christians, the AP reported.

Tensions with the Netherlands' 1-million-strong Muslim community have been high since the 2004 murder of filmmaker Theo Van Gogh by a Muslim avenging a film critical of Islam.

Last week, politician Geert Wilders talked about banning the Quran, shortly after the head of a group of former Muslims, Ehsan Jami, compared Islam's prophet Muhammad with al-Qaida leader Osama bin Laden.

Muskens made similar remarks several year ago about using the name of Allah, Radio Netherlands reported. He also suggested replacing the national Christian holiday Whit Monday � celebrated the day after Pentecost � with an Islamic religious day.

The bishop also has offended Muslims, saying in 2005 Islam was a religion without a future because it has too many violent aspects.

Back in the heartland, Thank God!

GB1

B
BMT Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
The idea really ain't bad.

The problem is it came as a result of terrorism and fear -- as opposed to ecumenical good will.

Caving in to those who threaten to eliminate your church and your country is unwise.

BMT

"The Church can and should help modern society by tirelessly insisting that the work of women in the home be recognized and respected by all in its irreplaceable value." Apostolic Exhortation On The Family, Pope John Paul II
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
That fella must be a regular customer of the Amsterdam drug trade. crazy crazy

HBB

Member: Clan of the Turdlike People.

Courage is Fear that has said its Prayers

�If we ever forget that we are one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under.� Ronald Reagan.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Looks like Bishop Tiny has a tiny brain. I suppose under his scenario the Pope should be called the Caliphate of Catholicism.

And to think there are idiots out there who might listen to Bishop Tiny Brain. frown

Don't vote knothead, it only encourages them. Anonymous

"Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups." Anonymous

"Self-reliance, free thinking, and wealth is anathema to both the power of the State and the Church." Derby Dude

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My old priest is, I know without a doubt, right now spinning in his grave like a top. He'd of had some fire or brimstone for them..... JMO, Dutch.

Sic Semper Tyrannis
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by BMT

Caving in to those who threaten to eliminate your church and your country is unwise.

Agreeded +1000

Please don't feed the trolls!
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Maybe he could suggest that Muslims use God or Yahweh instead of Allah. No, I guess that wouldn't work, since they'd probably, like, want to kill him for it or something. Damn fatwas.

Proudly representing oil companies, defense contractors, and firearms manufacturers since 1980. Because merchants of death need lawyers, too.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
As a Roman Catholic let me just state:

What an idiot!

rb

"What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives every thing its value. Heaven knows how to put a proper price upon its goods; and it would be strange indeed if so celestial an article as freedom should not be highly rated." Thomas Paine
I
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I
I think Steve No is a fairly bright guy Rick....grin

The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
William Arthur Ward

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by BMT
The idea really ain't bad.

Not Bad? I'd hate to explain to God why I called him by Satan's name.

Dick

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
grin

rb
Originally Posted by isaac
I think Steve No is a fairly bright guy Rick....grin

grin

"What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives every thing its value. Heaven knows how to put a proper price upon its goods; and it would be strange indeed if so celestial an article as freedom should not be highly rated." Thomas Paine
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Sure and change Christ to Mohamid then we can just all say we are good muslims.

This bishop needsa to go back to molesting alter boys

Declaration of Independance, in ENGLISH
U.S. Constitution, in ENGLISH
U.S. Bill of Rights, in ENGLISH
If you cannot or don't want to learn ENGLISH, go back to the third world cesspool you came from
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
That is just plain stupid talk. I do beleive someone needs to find a new day job and give up the religion gig.

CK

CK
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Well he did say he was planning on retirement soon....

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Christians in the Middle East also use the term Allah for God.

If they do, it's probably 'cause they don't wanna end up looking like a Pez dispenser.

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive." - C.S. Lewis
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Now that's an image.... I hadn't thought about a Pez dispenser in a long time....

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Christians in the Middle East also use the term Allah for God.

they do that because the arabic word for God is Allah.

the dutch word is God
the french word is Dieu
the spanish word is Dios
the Persian word is Khoda
The Swedish word is Gud
the Russian word is Bog
and the Arabic word is Allah

it would be no more appropriate to use an arabic word in a dutch speech than to use the russian word while speaking japanese.

many moslims in the english speaking world correctly use the word "God" to refer to God in a standard (non-religious) english language conversation.

Poole

Last edited by Bill Poole; 08/15/07.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
While I'm quite sure that the average Dutchman is upset over what Bellhop Tiny Muscles has said, I'm unconcerned.
I feel roughly the same about Arch Bellhop Pezman Pu Pu over in Africa.

abusus non tollit usum
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Nuts or not, it certainly proves that the christian Church in the Netherlands is accepting its Dhimmi status without a fight.

Sam......

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
What it proves is that the Christian church in the Netherlands is no longer Christian.

Dick

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

675 members (1234, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 06hunter59, 10ring1, 160user, 75 invisible), 2,303 guests, and 1,282 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,520
Posts18,530,673
Members74,033
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.