Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
P
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
P
I recently developed a load for my brother’s suppressed T3 Superlite 7mm-08. His previous load, at 2.156”, chronoed 2790. His new load has a different OAL but everything else was constant. The new OAL is 2.306”, and the velocity is 2840. At 2.306” the bullet is .005” from the lands.

Help me understand the relationship between depth and velocity. I always thought that, absent the bullet into the lands, that a smaller combustion chamber created higher velocities. Such is not the case in this instance, unless I’m doing something wrong, which is always a distinct possibility.

P

Obey lawful commands. Video interactions. Hold bad cops accountable. Problem solved.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I can’t add but am curious as well. I’d be thinking the same thing you are.

W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
Just for clarification....

Was previous load development suppressed also?

And what was the round count on the rifle for previous load development vs load development this time?

I always understood it that seating deeper into the case gave you higher initial pressure or spike because of smaller case volume, but lower overall pressure.

Curious myself.

Last edited by WB300; 05/23/21.
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I don't care how fast the bullet is going, I just want it to go where I send it.

I'd rather die in a BAD gunfight than a GOOD nursing home.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

IC B2

W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
Thanks for the link Whttail. Interesting.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
I recently developed a load for my brother’s suppressed T3 Superlite 7mm-08. His previous load, at 2.156”, chronoed 2790. His new load has a different OAL but everything else was constant. The new OAL is 2.306”, and the velocity is 2840. At 2.306” the bullet is .005” from the lands.

Help me understand the relationship between depth and velocity. I always thought that, absent the bullet into the lands, that a smaller combustion chamber created higher velocities. Such is not the case in this instance, unless I’m doing something wrong, which is always a distinct possibility.

P

With the shorter COAL length the bullet is farther from the lands and moves freely before engaging the lands therfore lower pressure.
The longer COAL is much closer to the lands and engages the lands sooner creating higher pressure, thus higher velocity

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Originally Posted by jwp475

P

With the shorter COAL length the bullet is farther from the lands and moves freely before engaging the lands therfore lower pressure.
The longer COAL is much closer to the lands and engages the lands sooner creating higher pressure, thus higher velocity

Yep. The longer "jump" to the lands allows the bullet to accelerate more before being engraved by the lands, resulting in lower peak pressure--which usually occurs shortly after the bullet enters the lands.

Only when a rifle bullet is seated deeper than about 1/4" from the lands (or even more) does pressure--and hence velocity--rise.

I believe that part of the origin of the theory that deeper seating increases pressures is due to assuming handgun and rifle handloads result in the same sort of pressure curve. They don't, for two reasons: Handgun cartridges have relatively little powder capacity, and many handgun powders are not only faster-burning, but not "progressive" powders, like those used in most modern rifle loads.

Progressive means the powder starts burning out slowly, then burns faster as the bullet travels down the bore. Many handgun powders are degressive, meaning they start out burning faster--in order to get pressure up quickly, resulting higher muzzle velocities in shorter barrels. Some are essentially neutrail, meaning the burn at about the same rate during their trip down the bore.

But it's been proven over and over again in pressure labs that seating rifle bullets slightly deeper tend to reduce pressures as the jump to the lands increases--which is why Roy Weatherby started using "freebore" in his cartridges, to flatten the pressure curve.

This also also why muzzle velocities tend to drop a little the farther a bullet's seated from the lands--and rise when they're seated closer to the lands.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
To an extent you are creating an expansion chamber effect. Increase in velocity is not out of the question.....again, to an extent.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
P
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Originally Posted by jwp475

P

Yep. The longer "jump" to the lands allows the bullet to accelerate more before being engraved by the lands, resulting in lower peak pressure--which usually occurs shortly after the bullet enters the lands.

Only when a rifle bullet is seated deeper than about 1/4" from the lands (or even more) does pressure--and hence velocity--rise.

I believe that part of the origin of the theory that deeper seating increases pressures is due to assuming handgun and rifle handloads result in the same sort of pressure curve. They don't, for two reasons: Handgun cartridges have relatively little powder capacity, and many handgun powders are not only faster-burning, but not "progressive" powders, like those used in most modern rifle loads.

Progressive means the powder starts burning out slowly, then burns faster as the bullet travels down the bore. Many handgun powders are degressive, meaning they start out burning faster--in order to get pressure up quickly, resulting higher muzzle velocities in shorter barrels. Some are essentially neutrail, meaning the burn at about the same rate during their trip down the bore.

But it's been proven over and over again in pressure labs that seating rifle bullets slightly deeper tend to reduce pressures as the jump to the lands increases--which is why Roy Weatherby started using "freebore" in his cartridges, to flatten the pressure curve.

This also also why muzzle velocities tend to drop a little the farther a bullet's seated from the lands--and rise when they're seated closer to the lands.

This makes sense.

I must say that it irks me that he has better velocity than I do. I am, after all, the source of ammunition.

Obey lawful commands. Video interactions. Hold bad cops accountable. Problem solved.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
IC B3

D
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
D
If you jam the bullet into the lands, you get higher pressure.

If you seat the bullet far back into the case, you get higher pressure.

In between, there is a zone where you get lower pressure, and hence lower muzzle velocity.

All that said, if the temperature of the barrel and the ammo was not carefully controlled, you might just be seeing the effect of temperature variation.

Be not weary in well doing.
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
The Lyman manual has an article on this. Longer jump equals lower overall pressure assuming all else is equal.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by denton
If you jam the bullet into the lands, you get higher pressure.

In between, there is a zone where you get lower pressure, and hence lower muzzle velocity.

This. As MD said, somewhere around 0.250" off the lands is where the relationship between jump-to-lands and powder capacity results in minimum peak pressure.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Fifty feet per second difference is within the realm of shot to shot variation for a typical (not great) load. A fouled bore can increase velocity 50 fps. Need to test the load more to see what it averages out to be. Any change in components can do this as well, like a different lot of primers, bullets, powder, cases, etc.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
As Bob Hagel would say"You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong."Good words of wisdom...............
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B

All that said, if the temperature of the barrel and the ammo was not carefully controlled, you might just be seeing the effect of temperature variation.

This ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I have shot the exact same loads on different days and got different velocities just from temperature variation, in the OP's original post this was not addressed

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
The variance is more likely due to other factors, possibly a bit of carbon fouling , also a suppressor can add 50 fps

W
WAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Am I missing something here? Case trim length for a 7mm-08 is 2.025” and COAL for Barnes loads runs 2.735 to 2.80”

Seems like the OP length is a wee bit short, but what do I know….

Life Member NRA, RMEF, American Legion, MAGA. Not necessarily in that order.
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B

The USMC ran a test, that I participated in, of seating the projectile progressively deeper in the case and actually pressure testing the round according to SAAMI procedures.

This was done because of a concern that multiple chamberings of a cartridge (think unloading then re-loading) would push the bullet back and create an over pressure situation, ultimately resulting in a catastrophic destruction of the rifle.

We never saw (measured) a pressure increase.

Perhaps it is another case of "Unfortunately, the facts are not supportive of the fairy tale".

This was a test of one type of cartridge (M855). I don't know if other cartridges/propellant types would have similar results.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

614 members (007FJ, 1234, 11point, 10gaugeman, 10ring1, 10Glocks, 61 invisible), 2,408 guests, and 1,239 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,420
Posts18,470,563
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.