Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Ideally I want a safety catch which is close to my thumb, locks the bolt, and releases silently. The one on the Browning A-Bolt fills the bill nicely, though there are others as good.

If you need the safety catch to be on in order to open the action safely, perhaps there's room for improvement in your technique.

GB1

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Rustyzipper

Read an African hunter and PH write that some PHs would still be alive if they hadn't needed that extra second to reach around for the safety. Ganyana was his nickname. Be Well, RZ.

Sounds more like ineptitude or panic.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
I have four Savage rifles with a tang safety. They are faster. Browning superposed have tang safety’s

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by greydog
I don't know. I wear a bag over my head whenever I am shooting mine but yes, they have a good tang safety. . . . . ... GD

How's the accuracy with that bag over your head? laugh

FWIW, the only rifles that I own with tang safeties are Ruger 77s.

I never thought I'd grow up to be a grumpy old man, but I did, and I'm killin' it.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Husqvarna has a tang safety that locks the bolt down. I believe their stocks are also known for splitting at the tang. Not sure if the two are related.

IC B2

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Most of my rifles are M70's and in my opinion the safeties are the most functional ones out there because they block the firing pin instead of just the trigger. That being said, a tang safety is a lot more convenient to use. I wish someone made a tang safety that blocked the firing pin, a tall order I know.

All safeties should be on the tang, it's the most natural place.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by dimecovers5
Originally Posted by vapodog
IMO the M-70 style of safety is as convenient and functional as any tang safety....and I prefer it.

y
Can't say I'd want one on an over/under so why would I want one on a rifle?

Couple of reasons for me: I'm often wearing gloves when deer hunting and the tang safety is more cumbersome, at least for me, than the M70 wing safety. Secondly, I' seldom need gloves during dove season so the tang safety works great. Also, one can break open an over/under or SXS, without the issue of emptying a magazine with the safety off. To each his own. YMMV.

Last edited by southtexas; 05/30/21.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I like either tang safeties or the M70 type without much preference one way or the other but slightly prefer the M70 type for the reason mentioned above. Most of my big game hunting involves wearing gloves. No gloves and I’d prefer a tang safety. Next to a cross bolt safety the 700 safety is my least favorite.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by K1500
Husqvarna has a tang safety that locks the bolt down. I believe their stocks are also known for splitting at the tang. Not sure if the two are related.

Z1R who used to be a Husky expert told me the wood shrinks in the tang area and you either have to trim the metal tube the trigger guard screw slides through or you have to remove the tube altogether and that will stop a Husky from splitting there. Once the wood stock shrinks the trigger guard and the tang will bottom out on that aluminum collar and that's when they split.

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
I love em, have had Ruger tangers in 338 and 458 WM's, just last year bought Wife an unfired, except at the factory, 7x57 Ruger tanger, it's a dead nuts hole puncher with old style 175gr Hornady round nosed bullets at 2408 fps i loaded more than 25 years ago, it wears a little gloss 2-7 Leupold in Ruger rings, so damn light, so quick to point, it's going to be fun to hunt with for hopefully many more decades to come.

Trump Won!
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by gunner500
I love em, have had Ruger tangers in 338 and 458 WM's, just last year bought Wife an unfired, except at the factory, 7x57 Ruger tanger, it's a dead nuts hole puncher with old style 175gr Hornady round nosed bullets at 2408 fps i loaded more than 25 years ago, it wears a little gloss 2-7 Leupold in Ruger rings, so damn light, so quick to point, it's going to be fun to hunt with for hopefully many more decades to come.

Ruger really got the stock dimensions and barrel profile right. Ruger M77’s handle just right IMO.

bcp Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Waiting for a modern bolt action with a hammer.

smile

Bruce

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by TheLastLemming76
Originally Posted by gunner500

Ruger really got the stock dimensions and barrel profile right. Ruger M77’s handle just right IMO.

Yes Sir they did, didn't bed or float, just installed an Ernie The Gunsmith spring, it's a little rag-holer, love it when that happens.

Trump Won!
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by southtexas

Couple of reasons for me: I'm often wearing gloves when deer hunting and the tang safety is more cumbersome, at least for me, than the M70 wing safety. Secondly, I' seldom need gloves during dove season so the tang safety works great.

I missed this yesterday ^^^

Originally Posted by jwall

In cold Wx I hunt & shoot with thin gloves .... I DON'T like tang safeties.

Jerry

I've hunted 77s a lot in the past. When you wear gloves.... the cloth over the web of your hand between thumb and index finger 'CAN' inadvertently push the safety OFF. I noticed that a 'few' times....when wearing gloves.

In all honesty whether a 2 position or 3 position I don't notice any diff in speed or effectiveness WHEN hunting.

I will not have a tang safety on a hunting rifle now.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Many years back I used a Model 99 Savage in .303 savage. It had the safety under the stock that locked the lever.....I'm sure many here remember that. When I traded for a new Model 99 in .308 Win, it had a tang safety. On this particular gun it was a huge improvement IMO

That said, I still want to unload any firearm with the safety engaged and the action locked while in the lock position.....the three way safety is still something I look for in a gun.....at least bolt rifles.

All my side/side and over/under shotguns are quite the different story. They all have tang safeties but I can unload them with the safety engaged as the action opening lever acts as a third position while opening the action.

I dismiss any discussion of the Ruger tang safety as there are no Ruger firearms of any kind in my house.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A Tang Safety Savage made me lose a deer..... ,it is an older one with the flat sliding switch ,no raised hump in middle like some now ,,Was hunting in West Virginia ,it was 6 degree;s out (Weatherman report) even with gloves my hands were so frozen i could not put enough pressure with frozen thumb to slid safety forward ,thumb and other fingers just slide across safety ,deer just walked away . got home wearmed up hands ,could work safety like normal

Last edited by rem shooter; 05/31/21.

NRA Life Member
T
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
T
To me they're a matter of execution. The 77 is a really well done example of the breed. I've used one off and on for 30 years now with no problems. This would be in conditions ranging from extra sweaty to very reluctant to move my hands away from the warmer in my coat pocket. Gloves, heavy or light, weren't a problem.

The Savage 110 series would rank as so atrocious I find them difficult to operate under ideal conditions. The mid 80's 243 that is our camp loaner rifle hasn't had the safety engaged in years. Don't load it until you're on stand, chamber a round, lift the bolt handle up until it stops out of battery, and place the rifle in the rack in the stand. If a deer appears, grab the rifle and lower the bolt into battery. Waaaayyyy easier and more positive than the weensie safety, especially in cold WI weather.

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by vapodog
Many years back I used a Model 99 Savage in .303 savage. It had the safety under the stock that locked the lever.....I'm sure many here remember that. .

I have two old 99’s like that, a .22HP and a .303. I don’t really use the.22HP, just to play with. The .303 I occasionally hunt with. I have to say, that lever-catch set up is probably my least favorite type of safety.

Mathew 22: 37-39

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Nothing quicker to me than a tang safety, also noted on the many snap shots made on dangerous game with tang safety double rifles by Professional Hunters and Clients alike for the last 125 years, and the stark remembrance of me standing there thinking about putting a shot together on a quail that just jumped up or dove that flew over the instant my Gramps had already slide his tang safety forward and fired his double shotgun, it was stupid fast.

Trump Won!
D
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
Seems llke most folks liked the 77 tanger. What's different about the Hawkeye besides the safety?

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

145 members (2500HD, 2UP, 405winash, 6mmCreedmoor, 10Glocks, 13 invisible), 1,747 guests, and 932 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,495
Posts18,472,127
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.