Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by kaywoodie
We had northern boys in boot that had never seen okra.

I first encountered a grit in jump school, Ft. Benning, Ga.. 1966. Saw some Okra but was not tempted.

mike r

Don't wish it were easier
Wish you were better

Stab them in the taint, you can't put a tourniquet on that.
Craig Douglas ECQC
GB1

W
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
W
In 1971 Central Highlands , the best part of C's was mixing the Pound Cake with the peaches.

[Linked Image]
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by OrangeOkie
Originally Posted by Redneck
Other than one or two weird offerings, we had the best food in the Navy.. First month I was on the sub I gained about 20 pound.. Hadda quit eating.. smile

I figured you sub guys ate good. I only once visited a sub, below decks, and the first thing I noticed was all the food stored in the centerline passage ways (you had to walk on the boxes of chow) and also stuffed into the torpedo tubes. grin
Yep - on a main patrol we had to literally 'eat our way outta the room'... One one patrol I ate an entire case of canned pineapple that was stored in the after torp room.. I still love it.. laugh

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
W
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
I learned to like greens. all I can find now are seasoned.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by wldthg
In 1971 Central Highlands , the best part of C's was mixing the Pound Cake with the peaches.

Bingo and AMEN!

What you think about, you do ... what you do, you become.
In a nation where anything goes ... eventually, everything will. We're almost there.
IC B2

W
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
Napoleon said, "An army travails on it's belly".

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by lvmiker

I first encountered a grit in jump school, Ft. Benning, Ga.. 1966. Saw some Okra but was not tempted.

mike r

So you've never had stewed tomatoes and okra over grits I take it? Lol

Yeah, it's a delicacy down here. I remember all the northern boys faces the first time they'd try grits and okra at Benning. Stewed okra, picked okra, friend okra ... we ate a lot of okra.

I think the mess halls used to get a lot of produce the public wasn't eating .... baby heads was another one. I really developed a taste for baby heads with butter and Worcestershire ... still love'm to this day.

You know .... baby heads.

[Linked Image from plantinstructions.com]

In a nation where anything goes ... eventually, everything will. We're almost there.
B
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
B
Always wondered where they come up with so many Lima beans

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by aboltfan
Started off with C rats. I didn't care what the meal was a long as it had canned fruit. Hated that dry azz cake. Yes Rene, I still have my P-38 on my key ring as well.

ol me to .......ives aid it on here many time ..c rats ...it was like 81 or so ..i got beef and boulders...so i was told a beef stew with the round white taters ... the cow an taters was in the can 4 years b4 i was born... eek...weird as hellll

I work harder than a ugly stripper....
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
This dude Swofford ( a cool little jarhead) and I busted ice on "the Worm Pit" (RIP) one morning in a tie. We got to "volunteer". We volunteered for mess dumpster duty where the dudes would hand you their trays and you would scrape the scraps into the dumpster and stack the trays. We gorged ourselves on breakfast leftovers!

IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Did you ever put one of the shoe polish size cans of peanut butter inti a burning Yukon stove so that it would blow up and out the stove pipe, taking the soot out with it? Nothing like getting splattered with molten peanut butter.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by 260Remguy
Did you ever put one of the shoe polish size cans of peanut butter inti a burning Yukon stove so that it would blow up and out the stove pipe, taking the soot out with it? Nothing like getting splattered with molten peanut butter.

Can't say I ever put anything "inside" of a Yuk Yuk ... lots of things on top; the few times we used Yuk Yuks. Winter Warfare School up in Alaska and then once or twice during winter warfare training deep up in the Italian alps.

We would use empty coffee cans to cook rabbit stew on top of the Yuk Yuks with melted snow and CRats salt.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
When I was stationed in England in the late 1970s, every quarter they served C Rats to us in the chow hall to rotate the stock.

I still have a John Wayne (can opener) from back then. Loved the three cigarettes in each package. They were so dry one pull burned them almost to the end and you had a nicotine buzz for a while.

We thought the dark brown MREs were inspired by God…

Through the years, the MRE meals have gotten better. We keep a few cases around for hunting and to give to the Girl Scouts and Boy Scouts, who still seem to devour them with glee.

I spent many a freezing morning in a blind eating a MRE for breakfast using the chemical heater waiting for a moose or deer or ‘bou to come by.

“Live free or die. Death is not the worst of evils.” - General
John Stark.
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
^^^^^ I don't know when MRE's came out (early to mid 80's?) We had LRRP's along with C-rats , late 70's. The long range patrol packet had a main meal , dried, that one would add water to and heat up. I never heated up my chow , but as a 60 gunner, I really liked not having to carry around 5 days worth of cans in my ruck! ( We usually got a re-supply after that....)

Last edited by troublesome82; 05/31/21. Reason: wording
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The first MREs came out in 1981.

https://www.defensemedianetwork.com/stories/ready-to-eat-30-years-of-the-mre/

I’m all about mountain house (the company that made LRRPs) or backcountry meals for backpacking. Freeze dried meals have gotten much better over the years.

John Stark.
79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
MRE’s have come a long ways when I joined to the day I retired. I remember the ham slice, 5 fingers of death (hot dogs) they were like Vienna sausages.the lb cake in those old mre’s were the best. The new ones as of 2019 when I ate them last had pizza, fajitas etc
https://www.mreinfo.com/mres/mre-menus/mre-menus-2019/

Last edited by 79S; 05/31/21.

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
During and after the invasion of Iraq 2003. Our rations were case of mre’s and case 6 pack or 8 pack of water (big bottles) per soldier, I don’t know what the thinking was on it. We had so many mre’s we had them stacked to the roof in a room we had had to be 200 cases 🤪.

Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Calls what you want but the west coast boy never heard of grits until I got to ft sill Oklahoma. Ph uck I thought it was cream of wheat. Drill sergeant private you out sugar on your grits?? Me what are grits? Drill sergeant walks off shaking his head. To this day I don’t ph uck with grits they are disgusting. I give a ph uck how people say to eat them. Far as okra pretty sure Army chit canned them back in 59 lol. Because I never seen them served in a army chow hall. Now korea they do serve kimchi which is pretty much okra lol..

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The UGR’s when went go to the field are a gift from god! Steaks, fried chicken etc..

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
UGRs?

John Stark.
Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

637 members (01Foreman400, 17Hunter, 007FJ, 10Glocks, 1936M71, 10gaugeman, 69 invisible), 2,675 guests, and 1,308 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,602
Posts18,473,624
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.