-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 9 of 11 1 2 7 8 9 10 11
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
While I like McM products better than any other, they are gonna leave the door open to the competition with their 6 month wait and their policy of going back to the end of the line with a change once an order is submitted. It really DOES NOT take 10 weeks to finish a stock once the order actually gets started.

Dick Davis is a stand up guy for sure & w/o a doubt, but I think they need some real help in coming into the new age of manufacturing planning, JIT and lead times.

They need to change how they do business & their excuses just don't jibe to me.

Having said that, I plan stuff w/o a tight timetable as a matter of course and will continue to make McM my 1st choice by a big margin.

MM

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by MontanaMan
While I like McM products better than any other, they are gonna leave the door open to the competition with there 6 month wait and their policy of going back to the end of the line with a change once an order is submitted. It really DOES NOT take 10 weeks to finish a stock once the order actually gets started.

Dick Davis is a stand up guy for sure & w/o a doubt, but I think they need some real help in coming into the new age of manufacturing planning, JIT and lead times.

They need to change how they do business & their excuses just don't jibe to me.

Having said that, I plan stuff w/o a tight timetable as a matter of course and will continue to make McM my 1st choice by a big margin.

MM

Well, if they're going to move into the 21st with updated manufacturing, they can also update some of their designs.

sk

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
And THAT is a prime example of why they DON'T change.

"Problems, excuses, no QC, gotta change, etc, BUT... I'll still use them as my first choice." crazy

If I was a business owner that heard my customers basically say that I can screw up in any way imaginable, pizz them off, charge them a premium, make them wait, and they'd STILL stand in line for my stuff, what incentive would I have to change anything??

Unbelieveable.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I will continue to take my chances with McMillan.

Me too, but (and thats a BIG but) as stated above, my return rate over the last several years is high, actually totally unacceptable. When I have to accept what would normally be unacceptable in a market with competition, thats sad!

FWIW, we are underpaying for stocks or the competition would be there.....

WGM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Dick has talked about the stock patterns/styles before ... I can't recall the exact number(s), but according to Dick it costs quite a bit of money to create a new mold ...

long story short, I think the reason they don't update the stock patterns is because they've got such a wide selection already, and it would cost quite a bit to create some new molds that might or might not boost sales ...

I too would love to have someone from McM come back here and talk to us about some of this stuff ... lots of questions have been asked ... lots of comments have been made ... and it would only be right for someone (Dick or Kelly) to come in and respond ...

-WGM-
IC B2

D
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
D
Nobody from MexMillan will respond because I am the only with problems. crazy

More like battered women syndrome, people are too scared to speak the truth, and too scared to leave because they "love them".

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Hi Guys

I am an Unfortunate on the opposite side of the 'Pond' who has waited the usual time to receive a McSwirly, and when it arrived it is defective. Now that is bad enough, but can anyone tell me how or what it takes to speak to a member of the human race at McMillans, instead of going around their electronic switchboard endlessly and to no useful purpose. A Lifetime Warranty is all well and good, but if you can't speak to the manufacturer how on earth does one invoke the warranty ?

Any info gratefully received

T260

D
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
D
Ironically...on this board, it is a status symbol to own a McMillan. Just like in the getto, it is status to have 20" spinners on your car.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by WGM
Dick has talked about the stock patterns/styles before ... I can't recall the exact number(s), but according to Dick it costs quite a bit of money to create a new mold ...

long story short, I think the reason they don't update the stock patterns is because they've got such a wide selection already, and it would cost quite a bit to create some new molds that might or might not boost sales ...

I too would love to have someone from McM come back here and talk to us about some of this stuff ... lots of questions have been asked ... lots of comments have been made ... and it would only be right for someone (Dick or Kelly) to come in and respond ...

Fair enough. For now. But someone will catch up - if they're outdated now, what'll they be in five to ten years? And you know something, after even the hardest head continues to bang his head against the wall, eventually it hurts - and folks will begin looking elsewhere. Great product, I concur. If I could really warm up to the checkering, I'd have McMillans instead of Brown's and Banser's. I was in the process of deciding on a color combo for the Camo Edge as well as a McSwirljob - due in part from the lovefest here with the McStocks, (even with my distaste in the checkering) but they're to go on guns that'll likely see the inside of the safe for the next year so perhaps I'll wait awhile. Second thought, maybe I'd better order now. laugh

Tell ya what, if Leupold's CS sucked, or scopes you purchased came out of the box flawed, or you had to wait six months to get one, would they still be the most kick-azz thing on the planet or would some other glass begin to be a hell of a lot more attractive?

sk

D
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by SKane
Tell ya what, if Leupold's CS sucked, or scopes you purchased came out of the box flawed, or you had to wait six months to get one, would they still be the most kick-azz thing on the planet or would some other glass begin to be a hell of a lot more attractive?

sk

Quit making sense.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by ColdBore
And THAT is a prime example of why they DON'T change.

"Problems, excuses, no QC, gotta change, etc, BUT... I'll still use them as my first choice." crazy

If I was a business owner that heard my customers basically say that I can screw up in any way imaginable, pizz them off, charge them a premium, make them wait, and they'd STILL stand in line for my stuff, what incentive would I have to change anything??

Unbelieveable.

That's fair & mostly true comment.....also speaks to the lack of real competition. Until that changes, not much else will either.

At this point, I'd rather put up with their issues than buy inferior products.

Maybe the best answer is whenever they screw up, just take the refund & move on........

It would be relatively cost effective for them to improve systems & manufacturing but as for changing designs, making new molds requires capital as well as a stock designer or other new models for them to copy.

Unless molds are worn out or defective, replacement is not likely until that point.

MM

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
The problem is McMillan is the only game in town when it comes to getting a custom fit stock.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
6 months.Add another shift.Myself I think Serengetti or Wildcat stocks from Edmonton blow them away very easily.The problem Canadian stocks have; like wildcat is they get no air play like a mickey.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by BWalker
The problem is McMillan is the only game in town when it comes to getting a custom fit stock.

True.

How much business is there for another company to be doing the same? How many people does McMillan employ, what is their gross annual sales? Relatively speaking, they are just a small business in a market with an ever decreasing consumer base.

And that's just talking about the sales projections. Anybody want to invest several hundred thousand or more to start up a company whose products are specifically marketed to a consumer base made up primarily of very anal and/or grumpy men who demand perfection in the slightest details? And then get the word out somehow among that same very clannish and opinionated base that your products are superior to McMillan's?

I think I'd rather invest in a home mortgage company.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
They dont get any air play because most people form the states have never seen one.
How many patterns do they sell?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Offhand not sure.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
got a link to their webb site?

I may not be smart but I can lift heavy objects

I have a shotgun so I have no need for a 30-06.....
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

[Linked Image]
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks Jason.

I was looking for it to post up.

I love their moto No Gimmicks No Marketing No Bullchit.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I have a number of McMillan stocks,a Bansner,and a Wildcat.I like them all.The Wildcat is on a custom .280AI,and I find it to be very light and stiff,compareable to my McMillans but lighter.I wish they made them with cheekpeices tho'! Monashee

Support the BC Wildlife Federation
Page 9 of 11 1 2 7 8 9 10 11

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

480 members (19rabbit52, 007FJ, 222Sako, 308xray, 29aholic, 12344mag, 33 invisible), 1,742 guests, and 1,190 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,011
Posts18,520,664
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.