Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
U
Uncas Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
U
I have bought sold and given away things for better than 25 years on 24 hour classifieds. In that time only once was there an issue...this fellow thought I should send him a $300 ADL and IF HE wanted to keep it he would (then) pay me.I declined his offer and sold it to the next buyer in line, He threw a fit online, and so it goes...
In the last several years my success has been dismal. People inquire with no intention of buying.

A few days ago I listed the same two guns I have listed here on GUN BROKER at higher prices to cover fees and general bother. Sold the .375 in two days. The better gun a 9.3X74 R I feel will sell as well.

There, you have it.
Any other long time Campers find a different attitude in buyers in the last few years ?

Watch 'Yer Topknot!
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The community and demographics have changed over the past decade IMHO.

It seems to me, in the past most of the members buying and seller here on the campfire to one another were doing so to "scratch an itch", try something new, or chase the latest greatest thing.

Now, it just seems that there's far too many "Classified Cowboys". Only interest as far as I can tell is to find bargains, low ball in hopes of getting something for cheap for the sole intent and purpose of tripping elsewhere for a few more bucks.

S
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
S
While not a long time Campfire member, I think your experience echoes the general approach of all virtual shopping environments such as 'the fire', Facebook MarketPlace, etc. People are perfectly willing to open a line of inquiry on your item, but they'll die before they grow the balls to say, "Thanks for answering my questions, but it's not what I'm looking for...".

I like to think I've served every person I've approached on here by closing that loop. But, there are different categories of questions. I understand someone asking a question because a post failed to include a small relevant detail in the large variety of information people normally find when they are holding the item in their hands. The person that asks what caliber the rifle is, or they ask for a price, because the lister failed to put it in the ad, isn't necessarily a buyer, but they could be viewed as serving the person that listed the item by prompting them to correct their ad.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
To ship a gun or anything else for that matter without prior payment is absurd. Asking for a three day inspection period at the seller's discretion is ok in my book. I have bought and sold here with NO problems.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
There are also many that ask questions that could be answered if they read the ad.

IC B2

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by DANNYL
There are also many that ask questions that could be answered if they read the ad.

Or those asking how many rounds down a brand new barrel.

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C

It has to be the "bargain of the day " to sell anything on here any more.

Lotsa bad buyers , lotsa goofy questions and lotsa questions asked and NO REPLY ever comes. yes , if they read the ad they wouldn't have to ask.

However, I have been very pleased with buyers and sellers of small non- firearms items lately.

The goofs just start typing , with no intention doing anything else.

I have a lot of members on ignore as they have already been sussed out.

Y'all have a good day.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Please also understand that over 200,000 people per day visit Gunbroker.

That's a much larger audience for whatever you're looking to sell than you'll get here.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by cisco1

I have a lot of members on ignore as they have already been sussed out.

That's what I do to help remember those I won't ever do any business with.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I have had extremely good experiences, although not alot compared to many of you. I guess there are always some bad actors. Having said that at 65 I have noticed some decline in character in general. When I see reasonable prices and people giving things away it is a testament to the majority of good people on this sight.

IC B3

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
I think as well as all the other points made by previous repliers that there are just WAY too many items in the market for your particular item to find a buyer.
GB brings more serious buyers as well as the ability to target what you wany.
24HR might show you a few Leupold scopes for instance but probably NOT the ONE you are looking for.
Larry in Reno

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by Uncas
I have bought sold and given away things for better than 25 years on 24 hour classifieds. In that time only once was there an issue...this fellow thought I should send him a $300 ADL and IF HE wanted to keep it he would (then) pay me.I declined his offer and sold it to the next buyer in line, He threw a fit online, and so it goes...
In the last several years my success has been dismal. People inquire with no intention of buying.

A few days ago I listed the same two guns I have listed here on GUN BROKER at higher prices to cover fees and general bother. Sold the .375 in two days. The better gun a 9.3X74 R I feel will sell as well.

There, you have it.
Any other long time Campers find a different attitude in buyers in the last few years ?

I would never send a weapon to someone that never paid for it.
Depends but if they pay up front, get it for a day or two and don’t like it (unfired), I would refund the money minus my FFL cost for me $25).
If they fired it or has damage...no refunds.

Drink and be merry for soldiers die for your freedoms.

Semper Fidelis!
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by GSPfan
To ship a gun or anything else for that matter without prior payment is absurd. Asking for a three day inspection period at the seller's discretion is ok in my book. I have bought and sold here with NO problems.

I have sold a lot of things and shipped before I received payment. I just have one question for you, why should a seller be trusted more than a buyer?

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by dakota300rum
I have had extremely good experiences, although not alot compared to many of you. I guess there are always some bad actors. Having said that at 65 I have noticed some decline in character in general. When I see reasonable prices and people giving things away it is a testament to the majority of good people on this sight.

This

pal Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by mirage243

I have sold a lot of things and shipped before I received payment. I just have one question for you, why should a seller be trusted more than a buyer?

That is simply not the point.

Tradition demands that a firearm be paid for before it is shipped. The inspection period and return policy should be made clear. A seller does not incur the great expense of shipping a firearm before he has payment in hand.

"There's more to optics than meets the eye."--anon

"...most of us would be better off losing half a pound around the waist than half a pound on our rifle."--dhg

U
Uncas Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
U
Also I have had many dealings on eBay...100% good selling and buying. As late as last week. However buyers and sellers can see feedback. People do not change.

Watch 'Yer Topknot!
D
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
D
I’ve bought and sold a lot of stuff on this site. Never have had an issue. When selling, I require uspsmo, and tell the buyer I’ll ship and send tracking number when funds arrive. On occasion, on lesser value, <$100 I ship before the funds arrive. And others have done the same for me.
Having said the above, I’ve had a couple issues, but they were with usps, not the other party in the transaction.

NRA Patron
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by pal
Originally Posted by mirage243

That is simply not the point.

Tradition demands that a firearm be paid for before it is shipped. The inspection period and return policy should be made clear. A seller does not incur the great expense of shipping a firearm before he has payment in hand.

I beg to differ, it is the point. Once again, explain to me why the seller should be more trusted than the buyer.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
That's the entitled generation

Live and die by the Browning...
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by HoosierHawk
Please also understand that over 200,000 people per day visit Gunbroker.

That's a much larger audience for whatever you're looking to sell than you'll get here.

Of course you're not real likely to get many in the way of bargains at GB mostly because the nature of the sellers are regular businesses who usually need to get a certain minimum price to stay in business. Even with some of the "best" pricing there you can usually do better if you know where to look. Adding shipping, CC fees and sales tax means no bargains. I would never buy a scope there.

OTOH this place is more like a garage sale site where people usually unload stuff that they no longer need, maybe bought in error or are upgrading. Also it is so hodge podge in listing and in organization that it almost seems like dumb luck to find something useful. hat being said I've done both buying and selling here [usually preferring no fee paypal] and can't say that I've been disappointed by the quality of folks here.

He who laughs last is slow-witted.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

496 members (12344mag, 160user, 10gaugeman, 17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 01Foreman400, 46 invisible), 2,249 guests, and 1,126 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,509
Posts18,490,747
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.