Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
whatever you buy extended warranties are cheap with todays junk options on appliances and i would highly recommend the purchase of them on anything over $500.00 dollars
i have yet to not get my moneys worth out of them with todays junk

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I also would like to buy a non-Chinese refrigerator/freezer. There are NONE available from the appliance stores I can find. But I know a lot of people in Germany, Austria, Italy and Norway. Having spoken to them about what is available in their countries I find that good refrigerator/freezer are available in Europe, but are wired for 240 volts. So if you were to knowledgeable on hot to convert American DC 240 to their machines it may be possible to buy something that will still last 30+ years, but you can forget getting any long lasting merchandise out of the Chi/Comms.
My friends tell me that such things cost about 2100 Euros which would convert to over $2500, but if you did get one it would likely last most adults the rest of their lives. As opposed to spending 1/2 that on a POS that is doing very well to last 6 years with 4 years being more the average.

So far my wife and I have not found a way to buy one and ship it over, but we are investigating the possibility now.

Last edited by szihn; 06/02/21.
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Maytag was bought out in the early 2000’s by whirlpool. The first thing they did was to shut down all of the Maytag plants. Maytag in name only. I worked for Maytag for 8 years until they closed our plant.

CK
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
It's not the voltage that's the issue, but the frequency (50 Hz in Europe vs. 60 Hz in USA). It's easy to wire a 120VAC circuit to 240VAC in your breaker box, but 60 Hz 240VAC will put more stress on an electric motor than 50 Hz 230VAC, which is the "official" EU household electrical supply voltage. You could easily burn up motors if they aren't rated for the amperage resulting from the higher frequency source.

Be careful if you import a Euro-spec electrical appliance. Examine the motor electrical limitations closely.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Not only are they chit but hard to find right now.

Got two slightly smaller ones than the dead one. Gonna stick one in the shop somewhere amongst that jungle of junk.

That'll make 3 freezers and 2 refrigerators to keep running after the next hurricane.

Might have to buy another generator.

It never ends.

IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by blindshooter
Kenmore made in China.
Seems they all are made there now.
Gonna buy 2 of the turds from Lowes.

That's freezer hoarding !

Paul.

"Kids who grow up hunting, fishing & trapping, do not mug little old Ladies"
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Hoosier hawk said:
It's not the voltage that's the issue, but the frequency (50 Hz in Europe vs. 60 Hz in USA). It's easy to wire a 120VAC circuit to 240VAC in your breaker box, but 60 Hz 240VAC will put more stress on an electric motor than 50 Hz 230VAC, which is the "official" EU household electrical supply voltage. You could easily burn up motors if they aren't rated for the amperage resulting from the higher frequency source.

This is something I am told by others far more knowledge than I am and I don't know if such system can be converted to American power, or if American power can be converted to 50Hz.
I am the LAST person to try it myself. I make fire with electricity pretty well, but if you don't want blue arcs and a lot of smoke I am not the guy for the job.

Anyone out there know if this is possible.

Here is a link to a good review of our situation and how the public is sold down the river today.
See the first line in the last paragraph, which pretty much confirms what I thought was true.
https://consumersane.com/most-reliable-refrigerator-brand/

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by gene270
whatever you buy extended warranties are cheap with todays junk options on appliances and i would highly recommend the purchase of them on anything over $500.00 dollars

Lady at China Freight tried her best to sell me an extended warranty for "only $20" on a $80 Bauer pole saw last week.

FJB & FJT
L
las Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Originally Posted by HoosierHawk
My son in law owns a business that is appliance-based. He has four techs that all travel to people's homes and repair their appliances. He's been doing this either as a tech or business owner for fifteen years. Still makes calls himself when he has to.

If you ask him what brands of "affordable" (under $2,000) refrigerators and freezers to buy, he has one simple answer - "Maytag, Whirlpool, or Amana. The rest are either overpriced, junk, or both."

Exactly opposite our consumer experience. We won't buy any of those anymore.

Probably why he has so many repairmen working full time.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Stickfight
This is the inevitable outcome of the boomer focus on the cheapness of everything.

I know it's difficult, but try to step into the world of accepting responsibility for your own life and actions.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Is asking a repairman which one to buy anything like asking a barber if you need a haircut?

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Raeford
Originally Posted by gene270

Lady at China Freight tried her best to sell me an extended warranty for "only $20" on a $80 Bauer pole saw last week.

Yep, stopped at the Horrible Freight for another furniture dolly for the extra freezer.

The nice lady worked hard to sell me the extended warranty for a $15 dolly. I think she said it would be $7, not sure, she was mumbling through a face mask.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by local_dirt
I know it's difficult, but try to step into the world of accepting responsibility for your own life and actions.

I’m familiar with pathetic boomer attempts to deflect culpability.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Just find a used 70's freezer, it will out live us all.

"Life is tough, even tougher if your stupid"
John Wayne
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

Maybe you should focus on accepting responsibility for yourself, instead of blaming everybody else who came before you for your shortcomings.

Funny. My generation, the generation before us, and the Greatest Generation never blamed those who came before them.

It's all the younger cry babies who just can't cut the mustard and never grew any grit.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by 45_100
Is asking a repairman which one to buy anything like asking a barber if you need a haircut?

Not if he's your son in law giving you advice. His recommendation is based upon frequency of breakdowns, cost of repair, and parts availability, and warranty claim rate.

They just bought a house. The kitchen has a new Whirlpool refrigerator, stove and dishwasher, and they have a Maytag washer and dryer set in the laundry room.

He looooooooves Samsung refrigerators. One could make a fairly good living doing nothing but reparing them, according to him. People are willing to spend $1,200 to fix a $3,500 refrigerator. Not so willing spend $400 to fix a $700 GE dryer, however.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by HoosierHawk
Originally Posted by 45_100

Not if he's your son in law giving you advice. His recommendation is based upon frequency of breakdowns, cost of repair, and parts availability, and warranty claim rate.

They just bought a house. The kitchen has a new Whirlpool refrigerator, stove and dishwasher, and they have a Maytag washer and dryer set in the laundry room.

He looooooooves Samsung refrigerators. One could make a fairly good living doing nothing but reparing them, according to him. People are willing to spend $1,200 to fix a $3,500 refrigerator. Not so willing spend $400 to fix a $700 GE dryer, however.

HoosierHawk, Thanks for posting this advice. Some of us here actually appreciate it.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
We had a side x side for about 20 years, we bought it used so I'd guess it was at least 30 years old, worked good but we wanted a bigger one. We bought a new frigidaire side x side and first thing I noticed was our electric bill dropped near $30 a month. Gave the old one to a nephew and it's still going strong, same with ours and it's been near 10 years. Freezer is set up in the house if that makes a difference.

Last edited by DANNYL; 06/02/21.
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by Blackheart
My Frigidaire is 15 years old, still works fine and has never needed repair.
Lucky you.The older models must be better than the current JUNK that GE is putting out.

G
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G

Maybe you should focus on accepting responsibility for yourself, instead of blaming everybody else who came before you for your shortcomings.

Funny. My generation, the generation before us, and the Greatest Generation never blamed those who came before them.

It's all the younger cry babies who just can't cut the mustard and never grew any grit.

Kinda funny(odd) ain't it? All my years of everybody responsible for their actions & bucking up to responsibility, only to live long enough to see & hear folks, Karens, snowflakes, constantly, consistently blaming chit on others.

Boo fugging hoo.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

558 members (1936M71, 160user, 1234, 06hunter59, 1Longbow, 007FJ, 61 invisible), 2,378 guests, and 1,276 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,532
Posts18,491,244
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.