Hop To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
G
gunzo Online Content OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
I'm convinced guys, they seem to work just fine on game. That's great, & with good long range manners too.

Good point on any bullet failing from time to time. Some things still puzzling, but that ground's been plowed. I suppose I shall remain puzzled.

GB1

W
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
W

Originally Posted by 4th_point
Not good. Any chance the bullet impacted something before hitting the doe?

Just air and open prairie from one high spot to another. , I bought these thinking the 8" exit holes from the bergers were a bit excessive. but I guess , that is minor compared to no penetration. I may mess with the 143 gr ELDX when I see a box , but the the JLKs and bergers still get first pick.....

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by gunzo
I'm convinced guys, they seem to work just fine on game. That's great, & with good long range manners too.

Good point on any bullet failing from time to time. Some things still puzzling, but that ground's been plowed. I suppose I shall remain puzzled.

For me personally, I like being able to load one bullet and use it for everything. Most of the bullets get shot at paper and steel for fun, so I want an accurate, high BC bullet that also performs good on game at my velocities. These 147 (& 140) eld-m’s are affordable enough and usually readily available, so I don’t have to worry about double loading and having different zeros and trajectories. The 147 and 140 meet all requirements. The largest animals I’ve used them on is Caribou.

Last edited by mod7rem; 06/26/21.
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
147's do a number on hogs. Great for deer and antelope too.

Shot two cow elk with the 123 amax and quite a few deer. I wouldn't take a hard quartering away shot with the amax. Broad side. every day

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Originally Posted by JGRaider
Originally Posted by huntsman22
It's not macho chit.... He's telling you he HAS done it. No guessing, and he disclosed fully. Why keep asking?

"Why keep asking"

To try to address my opinion vs. hurt feelers for folks using match bullets to kill with.

Only a complete idiot has an opinion on something he's never owned or used.

Last edited by ribka; 06/26/21.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Wow, interesting thread. Loading the Nosler 142 ABLR to 2750+ over R17 w/210M in the CM. Absolutely hammered a big deer but at less than 100 yds. Many groups cloverleaf. Supposed to expand to 1300 or so fps and is bonded so should hold together. If this is your cup of tea. Otherwise, you can't have your pudding if you don't eat your meat and YMMV.

IC B2

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by beretzs
Originally Posted by gunner500
It's a hell of an accurate bullet in my 7.5 twist 6.5 Swede over H-1000 for 2960 fps, only hit two coyotes with it, one at 588, the other sitting beside a bush with 2 inches of neck and head visible at 302, center punched the side of head, it's a great little bullet.

Told you you’d hate it grin

LOL, those coyotes sure hated it, i may need to bring it along on a doe antelope and doe mule deer hunt in Wyo this fall, Bud put me in for a draw, i'll have two girls to haul back to the freezer.

Trump Won!
P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
It's difficult to understand how there are still people questioning the effectiveness of ELDM/Amax construction bullets for hunting in the face of decades of available evidence. They work and they work well. I have been using pretty much nothing else for over 10 years and well over 100 big game animals with zero failures. It doesn't matter what it is labelled, Match, whatever - they shoot well, have good external ballistics, are cheap, and kill things really really effectively very reliably. There is no debate to be had on the subject.

Last edited by PathFilmsNZ; 06/29/21.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by PathFilmsNZ
There is no debate to be had on the subject.

LOL

Let's Go Brandon! FJB
G
gunzo Online Content OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by PathFilmsNZ
It's difficult to understand how there are still people questioning the effectiveness of ELDM/Amax construction bullets for hunting in the face of decades of available evidence. They work and they work well. I have been using pretty much nothing else for over 10 years and well over 100 big game animals with zero failures. It doesn't matter what it is labelled, Match, whatever - they shoot well, have good external ballistics, are cheap, and kill things really really effectively very reliably. There is no debate to be had on the subject.

Yet the horse is still beaten.

But, does Ribka's pig indicate proper hunting bullet performance? Just asking?

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
WTF is 'proper'?..... dead is fugging dead.

IC B3

G
gunzo Online Content OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G

I ask, & didn't even offer my opinion. And that's all you got ? Dead is fugging dead. It is the final word I guess, so's a hand grenade.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
what's the BC on a hand grenade?

I finally got primers and 4350 powder so loading up a bunch of 123 amax for whitetails. Have a few doe tags

I ask, & didn't even offer my opinion. And that's all you got ? Dead is fugging dead. It is the final word I guess, so's a hand grenade.

Last edited by ribka; 06/30/21.
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M

This.

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R

You shoot from 50 to 500 yard or beyond, as the bullets shoots very accurately out of just about any rifle. I was shooting gongs at 400 yards the other day (longest target at my range) and it almost boring with eldms and because they shot so well.

Out west not uncommon to hunt in 40 mph winds and the high bc works well. High shoulder shot, Boom, they tip over. No pencil holing, no chasing or wondering if you hit them. They are reasonably priced, can use for year round banging gongs long distance, target shooting etc which obviously helps one be a better hunter

But shooting deer from a baited tree stand at 37 yards, a .22 lr solid to the head would suffice

G
gunzo Online Content OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
Thank you ribka.

FWIW, I've hunted in the west, the Colorado Rockies 5 different years & Montana once. Shot prairie dogs, jacks & coyotes on the Co. Ne. border 5 or 6 seasons. Doesn't make me an expert at all, but I've seen what the weather can do & have managed to to conquer the distances at times.

Sitting in a tree like a buzzard, staring at a couple hundred bucks worth of corn isn't my thing, never hasn't been. But not saying there's anything wrong with it. 37 yards? my 6" 629 Smith with a Keith load. It, a 7.5 Redhawk, a 6.5" 29, & a 5.5" SBH have all been there, done that.

The hog kill with the blown out shoulder is great, DRT. But it would be kinda ugly on a nice meat doe. Two ways of looking at that I guess, a good bit of meat loss, or,,,,,,,,,,,,, the thing is anchored, secured & no chance of it running off. All depends on the objective.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
If a guy don't want meat loss, he don't shoot them in the meat..... This stuff is only as hard as you make it.

G
gunzo Online Content OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
Seems like I read this in a gun magazine some 30 or 40 years ago. thanks for reminding me.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
look at the eldm meat damage on this buck shot at around 275 yds

this antelope doe shot at 360 yds

my friend's buck

deer and antelope

antelope

doe at 500 yds in 40 mph winds. hence the low shot

antelope in 40 to 50 mph winds

I shot the hog running away at a sharp quartering away angle hence the extra damage

Thank you ribka.

FWIW, I've hunted in the west, the Colorado Rockies 5 different years & Montana once. Shot prairie dogs, jacks & coyotes on the Co. Ne. border 5 or 6 seasons. Doesn't make me an expert at all, but I've seen what the weather can do & have managed to to conquer the distances at times.

Sitting in a tree like a buzzard, staring at a couple hundred bucks worth of corn isn't my thing, never hasn't been. But not saying there's anything wrong with it. 37 yards? my 6" 629 Smith with a Keith load. It, a 7.5 Redhawk, a 6.5" 29, & a 5.5" SBH have all been there, done that.

The hog kill with the blown out shoulder is great, DRT. But it would be kinda ugly on a nice meat doe. Two ways of looking at that I guess, a good bit of meat loss, or,,,,,,,,,,,,, the thing is anchored, secured & no chance of it running off. All depends on the objective.

Last edited by ribka; 07/01/21.
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
more horrific meat damage from eldm/eldx. occasionally they'll cause a bit more damage but accurate and lethal

Last edited by ribka; 07/01/21.
G
gunzo Online Content OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
Well dang, no wonder some folks paying 60 -$70 a hunnert. A mistake on my part for not having a shelf full before all this crap. Other bases are covered, just one gap.

But wait, you say more horrific meat damage from ELDM/ELDX. The difference between the two was a part of my original questioning, & why Hornady chose to offer them both & rate them differently. ???

Now they're thrown together in this group of fine kills, it gets more confusing.

But yes, I've agreed, they do seem to kill well. And the horse is still dead.

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

650 members (160user, 1badf350, 007FJ, 10gaugemag, 1936M71, 1234, 64 invisible), 2,780 guests, and 1,322 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,371
Posts18,469,237
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.