Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
G
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
G
That boat will be a smooth ride! The 90 will be fine. My boat is only a couple inches longer and it flies with a 115.

GB1

30338 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Gooch, Thank you, glad to hear it will be enough. Boating newbie here so am glad I may be in the right spot with this boat. It was still covered in factory shrink wrap so hope to get a picture Monday.

G
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by 30338
Gooch, Thank you, glad to hear it will be enough. Boating newbie here so am glad I may be in the right spot with this boat. It was still covered in factory shrink wrap so hope to get a picture Monday.

Which Terrova are you gonna get? I would suggest at least the 80# with 60” shaft on 24 volts. A good onboard charger is a must. Just plug your boat into the wall and you’re good! 24 and 36 volt motors last a real long time on one charge. When you’re fishing from the bow, you’ll wonder why you need a 60” shaft. But if you’re using your iPilot from the back on some chop, you’ll be guaranteed to keep the trolling motor head in the water and still be able to see where your motor is pointing.

30338 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
That is the exact motor I was looking at, 24V and 60". Thinking we'll be trolling for walleye, wipers and crappie yet this summer so going to put in a down imaging Helix 7 in the rear and then next year will add a side imaging unit with transducer on the troller up front. The dealer installed the 24V charger already so that is one less thing I need to do.

Going to use it for a few months and decide on adding the flip up aft seats or just buying to more seats with pedestals. Going back and forth and figured after a few trips, we'd know which we wanted more.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I’m excited to see how your new rig turns out. I too have wanted a Alaskan. Actually there are a few boats that have my eye, namely Smokercraft/Starcraft Freedoms and Polarkraft Outlander. All have the open concept, no bow casting platform that appeals to me.

I habitually look for these, used, but finding a deal seems impossible.

IC B2

30338 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I'd look at Crestliner Fish Hawk, Alumacraft Competitor, as well. I gave up on the Alaskan after looking around and pricing some things. For me, I may be doing some casting for crappie and bass and the Impact seems to be set up good for that. It has a lot of open room as well and should be handy for dragging blue cats into the back.

There were some pretty good deals on Crestliner 2020 models out there and if one had been closer, I may have jumped. I'll throw up a few pics after I get it. A lot of the rigging is backordered of course so troller and electronics will get added as they come in later.

G
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
G
That is the exact motor I was looking at, 24V and 60". Thinking we'll be trolling for walleye, wipers and crappie yet this summer so going to put in a down imaging Helix 7 in the rear and then next year will add a side imaging unit with transducer on the troller up front. The dealer installed the 24V charger already so that is one less thing I need to do.

Going to use it for a few months and decide on adding the flip up aft seats or just buying to more seats with pedestals. Going back and forth and figured after a few trips, we'd know which we wanted more.

The Terrova is great. I even use it with downriggers for kokanee and landlocked coho. As far as the seats, I prefer the jump seats because they are integrated into the casting deck and dont take up deck space. They also don’t require pedestal receivers that I end up tripping on. I can’t imagine them being as comfortable, but deck space comes at a premium.

30338 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Truth about deck space. Wife was leaning towards those jump seats too. Think if dealer who is 3 hours from me shipped those to me, I could do the install? Never seen them up close but wondering if it is just drilling a few holes and mounting it up?

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S

There is a high probability I’ll be putting my Alaskan 1800 on the market this fall or next spring - dam thing is hardly broken in...

I’m not looking forward to rigging. Up another boat, but I can put a bigger catfish style live well in an impact so I’ll get one of those - I’ll likely have to order it though.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Alumacraft makes an equally good boat. I bought a new T-195 with a 200 hp Yamaha, Ulterra 36 volt, Helix 10x on a really nice dual axle trailer for $38k a couple of years ago. Boat will easily run mid to upper 40’s with the wife and I and a fuel tank and all our fishing gear. Built like a tank.
Nothing wrong with Lund, but IMO Alumacraft is at least equal to their quality.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.
IC B3

30338 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Snowwolfe, that sounds like a monster setup. Some great lakes back in Kentucky and Tennessee. Seems like boat prices may have gone up a bit in last 3-4 years.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
We really enjoy the set up and the room. Wife fishes out the bow and me the stern. Pulled out the stock seats except for the driver and passenger. We each have a fold up padded deck chair to move anywhere we like. When I moved here thought a bass boat was in our future but we quickly decided we wanted to be in the boat and not on it.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
ecool good times ahead... the next thing u well hear is ...is is welded.?. the 737 Boeing i flew on was riveted...lol

I work harder than a ugly stripper....
G
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
G
Truth about deck space. Wife was leaning towards those jump seats too. Think if dealer who is 3 hours from me shipped those to me, I could do the install? Never seen them up close but wondering if it is just drilling a few holes and mounting it up?

The jump seats are incorporated into the deck at the factory. You’d have to cut the deck to fit them into it, or replace the whole deck. I think it would be best to test ride it with and without and make a decision before buying.

G
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by Snowwolfe
Alumacraft makes an equally good boat. I bought a new T-195 with a 200 hp Yamaha, Ulterra 36 volt, Helix 10x on a really nice dual axle trailer for $38k a couple of years ago. Boat will easily run mid to upper 40’s with the wife and I and a fuel tank and all our fishing gear. Built like a tank.
Nothing wrong with Lund, but IMO Alumacraft is at least equal to their quality.

This boat is real popular amongst the tournament walleye guys here. I believe Alumacraft and Lund might both be Brunswick products. Crestliner is another good option.

G
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by atvalaska
ecool good times ahead... the next thing u well hear is ...is is welded.?. the 737 Boeing i flew on was riveted...lol

The welded vs riveted thing is a big debate, especially in the PNW. Its like people on the west coast dont think there are waves anywhere else in the world. But hey, my boat is welded!

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
my counter part in Detroit is picking up an Alaskan 1800 with dual console
I am sure I will be in it soon
looks to me like a very solid no frills fishing boat
should be a good one

Hank

Thank You Lord for another day,Help my Brother along the way

When you mature,you realize hospitals and schools are businesses,and the Beatles were geniuses

Live Like A Champion Today

NRA EndowmentLife Member,My Daughter is also a Life Member
30338 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Gooch, I looked via internet at an Alumaweld 18' adventurer. Looked like a really solid boat from the PNW. This one was much more conveniently located so made this decision. Will grab it Monday and get to work setting it up.

The other model that was really growing on me was the Alaskan 2000. The slightly raised floor in that model upfront looked to be just right to me. And its hugely open inside. Nice boat. Kind of much for just 2 of us but would look at it if a guy routinely took 3-4 out.

G
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
G
Alumaweld boats, and many other NW based heavy-gauge aluminum boats are tougher than hell, but don’t have much as far as creature comforts. Things like livewells are upgrades. But, you look at hull thickness and most are around .160 and some more. My lund 1600 was .080.

30338 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Got it home with no issues. Have a Hummingbird Helix 7 and a Minnkota Terrova on order. I think I can handle the Terrova install pretty easy. Never wired a fish locator so that will take some time I am sure. Ordered a stern saver so I can mount a synthetic block on the transom and drill into it for the transducer. Wife is loading it up with all kinds of stuff and we're both pretty excited. Couple of pics as it sits now.
[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]
[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

104 members (10gaugemag, 2ndwind, 44automag, 99Ozarks, 673, 15 invisible), 1,630 guests, and 998 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,118
Posts18,483,484
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.