Hop To
Page 7 of 12 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 11 12
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
Come on now...what the fugg are you gonna do with someone who doesn't shower but once a week?

Leave me oughtta this.

What do I recall from the 70’s? Alcohol mostly, Johnny Winters on the 8-track, hanging out down by the railroad tracks, girls who's kisses tasted like cigarettes. Bell bottoms, hot pants and halter tops. Weed in plastic bags.Siphoning gasoline. Was it the Saturday Night Special music show? Chiller Theater (“chiiillllerrrrr”), dial phones on the wall with them long cords. Did I mention alcohol?
Forgot party lines, phone booths and ash trays in stores and restaurants.

GB1

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Dayum. Miss those days. Especially with the schitt we deal with on this day and age.
Everyone knew their gender and acted appropriately
Most of the trucks in the school parking lot had a shotgun and rifle hanging on a rack in the back window. And guess fuqqing what. There was no.such thing as mass shootings at schools in the 80's
Your removed your hat, stood proud and put your right hand over your heart for the Pledge of Allegiance and the National Anthem
And you respected your elders and each other.

Just because you're offended doesn't mean your right.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Torqued
Your removed your hat, stood proud and put your right hand over your heart for the Pledge of Allegiance and the National Anthem.

And you respected your elders and each other.

This is exactly what is missing in the current generation.

Paul.

"Kids who grow up hunting, fishing & trapping, do not mug little old Ladies"
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J

I was married in early 70s and we had three kids by 1980...

What do I remember most about the 80s and 90s?

Working every day I could to provide for them.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Boomer454
Looking from the outside in, I view the pre-WW1 neutral America as the zenith of American society and culture.
Being in the world spotlight as a superpower and having to combat communism really didn't do America much good, as the former Frontier Spirit was replaced with a certain obedience to authority (be it governmental or corporate). The same thing is happening in my country, as I see desperate attempts at trying to cling to infinite economic and population growth at the cost of society at large.

It got even worse after the cold war when there was no common enemy anymore and the factions of the west started eating their own as a substitute.

Good observations

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Blackheart
Originally Posted by TheLastLemming76
My best friends dad would give us a $10 and a note to ride our bikes up to the gas station giving us permission to buy him Marlboros and spend the rest on pops and candy. In HS we’d walk to a restaurant that had a vending machine for cigarettes. My first bar served me and my friends at 18 and would keep serving us drinks as long as we tipped well and could keep sober enough to not draw attention.
My dad would call down to the hardware store and tell them I was on my way down to buy shotgun shells or .22's with his permission when I was 13-14 years old.

Was that a New York Law??

Pretty sure it was federal law that you can't buy ammo till you're 18.

Don't know about that, all the little country stores sold shot shells and .22 rf to anybody with cash. Late 60's through the 70's for sure. The big box stores started running the small country stores out of business by then.

Some of the store owners would sell individual shells. July through Christmas most had all kinds of fireworks, loved me some M80's.

We fished with M80's when all else failed. We hardly knew what a game warden/possum cop looked like unless it was opening day of dove season.

Sure there were a few missing fingers and the occasional blind eye. Just part of the deal.

I believe a lot of kids today are cheated out of growing up. I see so many that have zero common sense and screw up as soon as they're out from under the helicopter parents. I'm sure a lot the folks that post here know that and raise their kids right however I think that number gets smaller all the time.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by blindshooter
Originally Posted by TheLastLemming76
My best friends dad would give us a $10 and a note to ride our bikes up to the gas station giving us permission to buy him Marlboros and spend the rest on pops and candy. In HS we’d walk to a restaurant that had a vending machine for cigarettes. My first bar served me and my friends at 18 and would keep serving us drinks as long as we tipped well and could keep sober enough to not draw attention.
My dad would call down to the hardware store and tell them I was on my way down to buy shotgun shells or .22's with his permission when I was 13-14 years old.

Was that a New York Law??

Pretty sure it was federal law that you can't buy ammo till you're 18.

Don't know about that, all the little country stores sold shot shells and .22 rf to anybody with cash. Late 60's through the 70's for sure. The big box stores started running the small country stores out of business by then.

Some of the store owners would sell individual shells. July through Christmas most had all kinds of fireworks, loved me some M80's.

We fished with M80's when all else failed. We hardly knew what a game warden/possum cop looked like unless it was opening day of dove season.

Sure there were a few missing fingers and the occasional blind eye. Just part of the deal.

I believe a lot of kids today are cheated out of growing up. I see so many that have zero common sense and screw up as soon as they're out from under the helicopter parents. I'm sure a lot the folks that post here know that and raise their kids right however I think that number gets smaller all the time.
It was part of the GCA of '68 that required ammo not be sold to anyone under 18.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
"It was part of the GCA of '68 that required ammo not be sold to anyone under 18."

Every time that gets mentioned all I can picture is Ted Kennedy and that red drunks nose of his.

Hell, it took days to get sunshine to us. I'm sure it took years for the word to filter down about not selling ammo to kids.

And then nobody gave a chit anyway.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Apparently it takes decades for some States to hear about new federal laws. Pretty sure most folks in some States still can't read.

J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
Yep. Where you live is much cooler.

Bringing a permission slip to buy ammo. Freedom baby.

I am MAGA.
IC B3

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Apparently it takes decades for some States to hear about new federal laws. Pretty sure most folks in some States still can't read.

Could be that some of those "states" said F-U to federal laws they disagreed with and turned a blind eye.
Certainly not the case in the NE states, I'm sure.

FJB & FJT
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Raeford

Could be that some of those "states" said F-U to federal laws they disagreed with and turned a blind eye.
Pretty sure an FFL in any State who got caught selling ammo to minors would be subject to fines and/or loss of license. Can't blame anyone for not wanting to risk it.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B

No permission slip needed to buy ammo here dick head. Enjoy your crummy food and weekly baths.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R

Pretty sure an FFL in any State who got caught selling ammo to minors would be subject to fines and/or loss of license. Can't blame anyone for not wanting to risk it.

I was buying ammo at every country store around by the time I was 14 or so[mid 70's]

FJB & FJT
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
[quote,=FatCity67]Skinny girls in tube socks. Laws yes that was a damn good era to growup in. Even most heavy girls would be normal weight by todays standards.

[Linked Image from ]

[/quote]
in '84, '85 you had full blown AIDS going around and nobody knew nothing about it. Thought you could catch it off a toilet seat or shaking hands with a dude who wore fluorescent clothes.

You didn't want to have sex with skinny girl, you wanted a girl that was "healthy"

Last edited by KFWA; 06/09/21.

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B

I was buying ammo at every country store around by the time I was 14 or so[mid 70's]
There was only one store in my town that sold ammo when I was 14. As previously mentioned they would sell ammo to me because they knew me and my parents. I have no idea what the policy of other stores in other towns was at the time. I do know Jamesway and Sears would not sell ammo to minors here in the 70's.

J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J

No permission slip needed to buy ammo here dick head. Enjoy your crummy food and weekly baths.

What did your pappy send with you to the store?

A 50 dollar bill and a note saying that you were an orphan?

I am MAGA.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B

What did your pappy send with you to the store?

A 50 dollar bill and a note saying that you were an orphan?
Nothing you dumb fuuck. Can't you read either ? And you stupid ass holes wonder why I get nasty. This conversation is over now JC. You're a stupid, fat, dirty cock sucker and I'm wasting no more time with you.

J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
Hahahaha!

Retirement has really improved your personality.

I am MAGA.
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R

lol

Bought hundreds of boxes of 22 cal, shotgun ammo from the age of 8. Never needed a note from mommy or daddy to complete the purchase.

Page 7 of 12 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 11 12

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

127 members (300s, 01Foreman400, 2UP, 257 mag, 35, 13 invisible), 1,510 guests, and 949 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,623
Posts18,474,067
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.