Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
338Rules,

If you'd read the original story, ...

I might need a hint as to where it was most recently published,
Though it does sound somehow vaguely familiar. I could’ve skimmed over it less than a month ago

As it turns out I’m going on gopher safari over the next few days,
reassured by the panache of my principal shooting irons,
a couple of late 40’s BRNO Model 1 & 3 . In .22LR

When I’ve taken time to observe carefully , they clearly are Controlled Feeders !
And I am Re-Assured by that.

History May Not Repeat, But it Rhymes.
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 458Win
Originally Posted by IndyCA35
Complaining about push feed vs. CRF is just baloney. If CRF were more reliable they'd use it for new military rifle designs. They haven't since 1898.

You see all the know-nothings say that PF cannot feed upside down (not true), that PF extractors break (has nothing to do with the PF design), that PF bolt handles break off (same thing), and similar ridiculous things.

I've killed four species of DG in Africa with a push feed action, Several required fast feeding. All with a PF action. The only failure-to-feed was in Wyoming with a Model 98 action.

How about the 1903 Springfield, 1917 Enfield and 303 SMLE ?
They all were CRF, for very good reasons ! The problem was not mechanical, but human foibles

The SMLE is a push feed, and I was informed by a well known Enfield collector the other day that the 1917 was designed to single feed as well
Cat

scopes are cool, but slings 'n' irons RULE!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I suspect at least some of the reported failures with 98s involve ones that have been re-barreled to cartridges “outside the family” without proper fitting. With so many bazillions out there, many made under wartime conditions, some doubtless squeaked through without proper fitting as well. Only had one converted military, and it came with a short follower, but no mag block, so had issues. The smith who sold it to me fixed it right up.

Still, I’ve come to appreciate good push-feeds too. What works works.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
When JB writes an article, you feel you are right there with him testing the rifle, that’s the difference between a great writer and a average writer in my opinion.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
[/quote]

Mule Deer

With your permission I would like to 'steal' that for my sig line.
W/o it I won't.

Jerry
[/quote]

OK!

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
IC B2

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by catnthehat
The SMLE is a push feed, and I was informed by a well known Enfield collector the other day that the 1917 was designed to single feed as well
Cat

The British manuals of the late 1800s/early 1900s were written or approved by senior officers who were trained with single shot rifles as cadets. We are products of our generation, so when Lee Enfields were created, they were fitted with magazine cutoffs. It was a piece of metal that slid over the magazine and prevented cartridges from being chambered from the mag.

Standard training back then was for soldiers to single feed - just like Martinis. It was thought that controlled fire could be maintained with an NCO/jr officer controlling the load/fire sequence in battle. It also prevented wasting ammunition. Feeding from the magazine was for "exigent circumstances only". IOW, when shtf.

Added: "Failures" of push feed rifles throughout history were almost always those of a man, not the mechanism.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
Member - Professional Outdoor Media Association of Canada
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 458Win
Originally Posted by IndyCA35
Complaining about push feed vs. CRF is just baloney. If CRF were more reliable they'd use it for new military rifle designs. They haven't since 1898.

You see all the know-nothings say that PF cannot feed upside down (not true), that PF extractors break (has nothing to do with the PF design), that PF bolt handles break off (same thing), and similar ridiculous things.

I've killed four species of DG in Africa with a push feed action, Several required fast feeding. All with a PF action. The only failure-to-feed was in Wyoming with a Model 98 action.

How about the 1903 Springfield, 1917 Enfield and 303 SMLE ?
They all were CRF, for very good reasons ! The problem was not mechanical, but human foibles

Cat

If you actually understand CRF vrs PF you will recognize that the SMLE most certainly has a CRF mechanism. The large Mauser extractor is not the only way to achieve that !

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
Alaska Hunter Ed Instructor
FAA Master pilot
www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is not effective has either not used one, or else is unwittingly commenting on their marksmanship.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
[/quote]
Mule Deer

With your permission I would like to 'steal' that for my sig line.
W/o it I won't.

Jerry

OK!
[/quote]

Thank You Sir.

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

The lawsuit which resulted in the U.S. paying Mauser royalties mostly involved the Mauser top insertion clip, not the action itself. Though there were certainly some similarities between the actions, there were enough differences to avoid that issue.

The 1917 Enfield was considerably different from the Lee-Enfield action, with more resemblance to a cock-on-closing pre-98 Mauser action.

Well.... I made a few attempts to shorten my sig line but I was 16 characters OVER the limit so I could NOT use your quote.
I tried.

Thanks Anyway

Jerry

Last edited by jwall; 06/12/21.

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
[/quote] If you actually understand CRF vrs PF you will recognize that the SMLE most certainly has a CRF mechanism. The large Mauser extractor is not the only way to achieve that !
[/quote]

Yep, and many people make this mistake. In fact, when the original Ruger 77 appeared, with a "Mauser-type extractor," a few of the supposedly professional gun writers of the era assumed it was CRF--when it was push-feed.

The so-called "controlled push-feed" Model 70 action for the WSSM rounds is CRF, and basically a copy of the M1 Garand's system.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
IC B3

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Originally Posted by 338Rules
338Rules,

If you'd read the original story, ...

I might need a hint as to where it was most recently published,
Though it does sound somehow vaguely familiar. I could’ve skimmed over it less than a month ago

I have written about it more than once, probably first in a story for SUCCESSFUL HUNTER magazine about grizzly hunting, and then again in an article for another magazine about repeat shooting. The first became a chapter in my 2011 book BORN TO HUNT, a collection of hunting stories, and the second a chapter in THE BIG BOOK OF GUN GACK II, titled "Shoot 'Em Again."

John Steinbeck
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
shaman,

A description of the "slap" method is included in the "Shoot 'Em Again" chapter in GUN GACK II. I have described it elsewhere, but that's probably the most available source.

Would also like to comment that it is very possible to jam a typical Mauser-extractor CRF action by short-stroking, contrary to what some shooters believe.

John Steinbeck
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
[/quote] If you actually understand CRF vrs PF you will recognize that the SMLE most certainly has a CRF mechanism. The large Mauser extractor is not the only way to achieve that !

Yep, and many people make this mistake. In fact, when the original Ruger 77 appeared, with a "Mauser-type extractor," a few of the supposedly professional gun writers of the era assumed it was CRF--when it was push-feed.

The so-called "controlled push-feed" Model 70 action for the WSSM rounds is CRF, and basically a copy of the M1 Garand's system.
[/quote]
So how does the SMLE qualifies as a CRF action John, I don't understand .
Cat

Last edited by catnthehat; 06/12/21.

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
For me it has been Gary Sitton and Ross Seyfried, hands down.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D

Cat

It actually can do both. Feeding from the magazine, as you push the bolt forward the bottom edge of the bolt face pushes the cartridge forward out of the magazine and the case head slides up the bolt face, under the extractor, as you drive the bolt home. If you stop before the bolt goes all the way forward, and pull it back, it will bring the round with it and eject it. This is CRF.

It will also function as PF, if you drop a round on the follower (or cutoff for those rifles that have one). When you push the bolt forward it pushes the round into the chamber, and as the bolt closes the extractor snaps over the rim. This is something an unmodified Mauser 98 won't do, as the extractor is not designed to snap over the rim.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by dan_oz

Cat

It actually can do both. Feeding from the magazine, as you push the bolt forward the bottom edge of the bolt face pushes the cartridge forward out of the magazine and the case head slides up the bolt face, under the extractor, as you drive the bolt home. If you stop before the bolt goes all the way forward, and pull it back, it will bring the round with it and eject it. This is CRF.

It will also function as PF, if you drop a round on the follower (or cutoff for those rifles that have one). When you push the bolt forward it pushes the round into the chamber, and as the bolt closes the extractor snaps over the rim. This is something an unmodified Mauser 98 won't do, as the extractor is not designed to snap over the rim.

My push feed Savage will eject if I pull it put before fully chambering as well, interesting fir sure.
Cat

Last edited by catnthehat; 06/13/21.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
That'll sometimes work with PF actions.

I mentioned earlier that it is indeed possible to jam a CRF action by short-stroking. Saw one example of this around 15 years ago, when custom gunsmith Charlie Sisk started an annual field-shooting school for his customers on a ranch in South Texas. I was invited to show up early (along with several other "industry" people, including guides) to help set up and tweak the shooting stations, and because I shot the initial "dangerous game" station quicker than anybody else, was chosen to improve it, and be the instructor.

Eventually the event grew big enough that I improved the "charging Cape buffalo" station to a life-sized target run on rails, using an ATV to tow it from behind some bushes about 50-60 yards away. The target ran closely past the shooting station, and it was rare for anybody except very practiced shooters to get three shots off before the target came past. (I managed to do it twice in a row with Finn Aaagard's old .375 H&H, which Berit brought to the event. The action was pretty slicked up by long use!)

The event also offered various prizes, which eventually included a Tanzanian safari as first prize. There were also no restrictions on cartridge or rifle--or who would shoot. As a result, the last year one of the contestants (who owned a nice airplane, with a hired pilot) chose the pilot to shoot the contest. He was a guy about 30, who was a good shot--and the rifle his boss chose was a CRF .308 Winchester, which in theory would be faster to use due to lower recoil than, say, a .375 H&H.

Obviously the young guy was under a lot of pressure, perhaps almost as much as during a real buffalo charge. He short-stroked the action on the first run, which partially picked up another round due to friction, despite that theoretically not being possible, and jammed it tight. So he did not even place. (Do not know whether he retained his pilot job.)

But he was using the standard method of grabbing the bolt-knob in a death grip. I suspect if he'd used the slap method (or practiced more) he might have done better. But have seen the same thing happen now and then with other CRF actions, especially where the hunter hasn't practiced much--or is under pressure.

John Steinbeck
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
We've had this conversation before, but it is worth noting (again) that the "slap" method seems to be one which only has currency in the US. Here, and in Europe (including Britain) the ball and socket grip on the bolt knob seems to be the go. In fact in military training here the "palming" of the bolt was actively and vigorously discouraged.

You don't want a "death grip" though - the wrist in particular needs to flex, so that the opening and closing consists of two movements, not four: One more or less diagonally up and back, and one forward and down. You work it like you mean it. There's a lot less lost motion than with palming or the "slap" method. You see it in videos of Stanskyting competition, where often they'll also use another technique I learned as a kid: keeping hold of the bolt knob in the ball and socket grip and tripping the trigger with the middle finger each time the bolt locks closed.

I suppose the main thing though, regardless of which method you use, you need to practice it, so that it is a matter of muscle memory and so that you can do it reliably under pressure. No doubt you have seen many examples of people fumbling this under pressure, as I have, because they haven't practiced.

Here we are fortunate to have plenty of opportunities to practice. As well as service rifle competition, using bolt actions, which has such things as double snap and rapid serials (a lot of fun) we have lots of ferals, with no closed season and no bag limits. Knocking several pigs out of a mob before they make cover is a good test of how slick is your rifle handling. I've dropped as many as eight out of a mob, including stuffing additional rounds in as I ran to keep them in view.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Dan,

I have seen the competition shooting where one finger remains on the trigger, and have practiced it myself--with short-action rifles, especially rimfires. Can also see how it would work with my shorter-action rifles.

But cannot compehennd how it would with, say, the .375 H&H or similar length cartridges. If you have any insights on this would appreciate them.

John Steinbeck
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
The middle finger doesn't need to remain on the trigger. Indeed, as you've noticed, with a long throw action you can't do it, even if you have hands as big as mine. The point to it is that thumb and forefinger stay on the bolt knob the whole time, and in order to do this the middle finger trips the trigger, as soon as the bolt knob reaches the end of its travel.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

76 members (35, 257 mag, badwolf, benchman, BDR1, 7 invisible), 1,436 guests, and 953 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,623
Posts18,474,058
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.