Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Happy_Camper

Why would I make something like that up?
Those things have claws like curved large raptor talons.
When you pick one up and restrain the head/ neck, they will thrash unless they're body weight is supported. Problem is that if they are further alarmed or defensive, they will hug your arm, insert those long claws, then pull back.

If I would've dropped him, he and I would've ended up on the news like the one in the video.

I had one as a pet many years ago. Not that particular species, but a Savannah Monitor, which, when adult, is near the same size. He eventually outgrew my capacity to maintain a proper living space for him, and I gave him to a much more serious herpetology hobbyist, who already had transformed his property for the purpose of housing these things.

Here's a shot of one from Google Images. Mine was nearly this size when I gave him away.

[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]

GB4

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Rooster7
Originally Posted by Rooster7
I don't know what the woman saw. Perhaps she just needs a little bit of lithium oratate?
Some use it for their hallucinations.

Regardless, there's lots of critters in Florida that some would consider living dinosaurs.

Here's one thats not a baby.
I handled one about this size that ripped my arm open.
No big deal. I didn't drop it.
[video:youtube]https://abcnews.go.com/US/giant-lizard-terrorizes-florida-family-moving-backyard/story?id=57499299[/video]

*cough cough BULLSHIT *cough cough*

What ya choking on, a rooster?

Why would I make something like that up?
Those things have claws like curved large raptor talons.
When you pick one up and restrain the head/ neck, they will thrash unless they're body weight is supported. Problem is that if they are further alarmed or defensive, they will hug your arm, insert those long claws, then pull back.

If I would've dropped him, he and I would've ended up on the news like the one in the video.

Oh. I assumed that it bit you and ripped your arm open and since they're venomous, that would be not so good. My apologies.

No worries. You had no way of knowing.
The saliva of the much bigger Komodo monitors is considered "venomous" , but not technically like a rattlesnake. The saliva is incredibly toxic from the pathogens. They can grab a deer, yet it gets away. Then they sniff it out as it dies from sepsis.

The water monitor, like the one in that news video link, is pretty nasty too. That's the kind that grabbed me after I grabbed it.
Normally, Even the claws are filthy. In the wild, If the food is too big to eat whole, they rip it up with the claws after it gets ripe .
I used mine for the ministry and only fed it smaller lab animals, mainly rats. Someone insisted that I bring it to a big revival meeting. I hadn't handled it for a long time and it wasn't ready or used to the loud singing prior while caged. When I took him out, he reacted, everyone was loud and spooked it more.
That white dress shirt turned red right now. 😄
That's was a highlight, because I don't like boring memories. It bled well and I cleaned it, so no sepsis.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Hawkeye,

That is my favorite monitor!
They are awesome. The pattern on that is incredible. It looks like a white throat. There's a good White Throat breeder in Texas that I bought two from..
You probably know this, but they get the biggest of the Savannahs. Your Savannah sounded like a big boy too.
How tame did he get?

Last edited by Happy_Camper; 06/10/21.
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
If I saw that water monitor in my yard it would have been target practice real quick. I don't care how close the neighbor's house is, it would have been dead. That Mofo would probably eat a small dog.

"Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem."
Ronald Reagan
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by StoneCutter
If I saw that water monitor in my yard it would have been target practice real quick. I don't care how close the neighbor's house is, it would have been dead. That Mofo would probably eat a small dog.

I was bitten by a small dog yesterday. Just an snkle biter. It's owner didn't control it. At the time I would've welcomed the big monitor to shake and smack the bowser against the concrete and toss it to the back of it's throat. Pesky little ankle biters. 😁

IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by dogcatcher223
That actually does look like a dinosaur in the video 😀

You should see them in person.
The crowds love them.
These water monitors are second in size to the largest living lizards, the Komodo Monitor or Komodo Dragon .
The Komodo native version sometimes hunt in packs and will hunt deer as well as the occasional man.
There was a team of researchers who left a team member behind at location to finish setting up cameras or something. All that they found later was his shoe.

The water monitor in the video would eat dead soldiers in their natural range, but are spooked by wild confrontations most of the time.

komodos are venomous, they bite you and follow you till you die.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Hawkeye,

They are awesome. The pattern on that is incredible. It looks like a white throat. There's a good White Throat breeder in Texas that I bought two from..
You probably know this, but they get the biggest of the Savannahs. Your Savannah sounded like a big boy too.
How tame did he get?

I could handle him, but he never relaxed when held.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Deflave has been feeding the iguanas steroids again. He wants to go big game hunting in his back yard.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
My step-son and his wife live in Palm Coast. Maybe it was their corgi, Buddy.

"No good deed shall go unpunished!"
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by stxhunter
Originally Posted by dogcatcher223
That actually does look like a dinosaur in the video 😀

You should see them in person.
The crowds love them.
These water monitors are second in size to the largest living lizards, the Komodo Monitor or Komodo Dragon .
The Komodo native version sometimes hunt in packs and will hunt deer as well as the occasional man.
There was a team of researchers who left a team member behind at location to finish setting up cameras or something. All that they found later was his shoe.

The water monitor in the video would eat dead soldiers in their natural range, but are spooked by wild confrontations most of the time.

komodos are venomous, they bite you and follow you till you die.

I do believe that's the most recent thinking, superceding the "septic pathogens" theory.

Either way, I'd rather not find out personally.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Hawkeye,

How tame did he get?

I could handle him, but he never relaxed when held.

If you ever want another, go for a white throat version that has some size, yet still small. That way, it is less likely to get metabolic bone disorder because it's eating full grown mice. They're behavior is more like a Bassett Hound.
Tegus are a lot cheaper than the bigger WTs, but you have to get the right variety and age .

Pet store Herbie explains care.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Feed time for a little dinosaur.
Btw, if anyone gets a reptile, do NOT feed by hand.
Always use long foreceps or tongs.

Anyway, even dinosaurs have friends.

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Slappy and trh have no credibility. I will wait for master reptile hunter to chime in.

mike r

Don't wish it were easier
Wish you were better

Stab them in the taint, you can't put a tourniquet on that.
Craig Douglas ECQC
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

653 members (160user, 1Longbow, 10gaugeman, 10Glocks, 163bc, 10gaugemag, 69 invisible), 2,599 guests, and 1,408 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,969
Posts18,480,645
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.