Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by navlav8r
Originally Posted by lvmiker
People that enjoy learning soon realize that most folks embrace the average and simplify their comms around average people. A great communicator can simplify complex thought to influence the proletariat. A learned clear thinker can appreciate both complex and simple language and concepts and apply them appropriately to real life.

When you quit learning you start dying.

mike r

Being a flight instructor requires being able to say the same thing several different ways. Hopefully, somehow the switch is flipped and the lightbulb starts glowing. 💡

Well duh...you need to be able to understand everything. It's just stupid to expect other people to . That seems to be the goal sometimes though.

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
GB4

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Dem thar .75¢ words are for the highfalutin types. We don't allow dat hogwash round here😁 if'in ya cain't say it clear din don't say it at all!

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by ltppowell
Why would anyone use big words when they could use little words that people understand?

Maybe because they’re publishing a paper in some peer-reviewed Journal of Education, more long words signifying not much of anything than I’ve ever seen.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Nuanced words that are used properly, will typically enhance the symmetry of the idea being described.

🦫

Curiosity Killed the Cat & The Prairie Dog
“Molon Labe”
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Beaver10
Nuanced words that are used properly, will typically enhance the symmetry of the idea being described.

🦫

Thas whu um tockin bowt ^^^^^

LOL
IC B2

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Why would anyone use big words when they could use little words that people understand?

Big words sometimes carry more precise information with less effort .. but only to an intelligent / informed listener. If someone is using words that are too big, it is possibly because they have overestimated the intelligence of the person they are talking to. It happens.

Tom

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by MPat70
Dem thar .75¢ words are for the highfalutin types. We don't allow dat hogwash round here😁 if'in ya cain't say it clear din don't say it at all!

Big words only for teachers and lawyers.

"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man."
Thomas Jefferson

GeoW, The "Unwoke" ...Let's go Brandon!

"A Well Regulated Militia" Life Member

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher

Maybe because they’re publishing a paper in some peer-reviewed Journal of Education, more long words signifying not much of anything than I’ve ever seen.

I have heard that referred to as "edubabble" by an educator acquaintance seeking his masters..

Me solum relinquatis

Molon Labe
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter

ltppowell;
Good evening to you sir, I hope the weekend treated you all fine and all who matter to you are well.

Since it's me and we've conversed enough that you'd expect this, I'll begin with a personal story.

My late father's first language was Plot Deutsch or Low German and he made it to Grade 8 before going to work somewhere else besides the Saskatchewan farm he grew up on.

That said, he encouraged us to read and learn, purchasing a set of "World Book Encyclopedia" for us kids when he really couldn't afford to do so.

As I grew and developed a passion for western history, he began to read the same books as I was and we'd discuss various things that we'd learned about the area or people we'd been reading about.

He used to tell me, "If you're not learning something Dwayne, best look around - as you're likely dead!"

All that to say sir, I read and continue to read a whole lot and have grown to love journeyman level usage of our language.

When I entered the work force, I wasn't the biggest, brightest or fastest ever sir - but - I could articulate what I knew about the subject at hand in such a way that the listener could understand and that ability served me well throughout various jobs.

At one point among my daily tasks were corresponding with medical staff, various government agencies and different professionals. In doing so, I quickly learned that if I communicated in a precise way - sometimes using words specific to that trade and situation - the company I worked for received markedly better results. Startlingly so in fact at times sir.

In summary then, I'd respectfully turn the question around and ask, "Why would anyone not want to expand their vocabulary and learn new words?"

If someone posts a word or phrase I have to look up, I personally think that's a high point as I get to learn something and then I can remember Dad and his favorite phrase for me.

As always sir, there's many roads to Mecca and this was just one Canuck's way of attempting to navigate through life, nothing more.

All the best to you and your fine family.

Dwayne

Last edited by BC30cal; 06/13/21. Reason: better wording - maybe???

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Yes it’s egregious here.

IC B3

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
GOFUCKYOURSELF hows that for big word?

Its all right to be white!!
Stupidity left unattended will run rampant
Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Huntz
GOFUCKYOURSELF hows that for big word?

That’s actually 3 words, you retard.

Grins

🦫

PS

No better 3 words ever said here on the Fire...But, I digress.

Curiosity Killed the Cat & The Prairie Dog
“Molon Labe”
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Not everyone can be a sophistical rhetorician, inebriated with the exuberance of their own verbosity…

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
While many here may not have an extensive vocabulary, there’s definitely several gifted with an egotistical imagination that can at all times command an interminable and inconsistent series of arguments to malign an opponent and to glorify themselves…

H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
Yep

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Around here I will try not to use big words and speak slow .

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by FOsteology
While many here may not have an extensive vocabulary, there’s definitely several gifted with an egotistical imagination that can at all times command an interminable and inconsistent series of arguments to malign an opponent and to glorify themselves…

By God.

"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man."
Thomas Jefferson

GeoW, The "Unwoke" ...Let's go Brandon!

"A Well Regulated Militia" Life Member

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by roof
Try to get it done in as few words as possible. Beer whiskey, sex, food.

Fixed it... grin

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Never use aa big word when a diminutive one will do as well.

Be not weary in well doing.
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Because some strive beyond the level of a rap lyricist.

Page 3 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

558 members (1936M71, 10gaugeman, 1minute, 160user, 1234, 1Longbow, 61 invisible), 2,178 guests, and 1,314 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,930
Posts18,479,895
Members73,953
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.