-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
For those that do not know, the short end of the string is usually where to start. Not always, but usually. miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
GB1

W
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
W
Thanks Miles! I've forgotten so much. laugh

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I've been a feed manufacturer all my professional career and sold many thousands of bags of feed to our customers. However, I have fed very few bags of feed to our own livestock and poultry, almost all was bulk. So I didn't know that there was a proper method to pulling the strings on bags. The few times I did open bags I just tried one end, and if that didn't work the other end always did. Thanks for the education. Better late than never.

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Thanks for the hint to pull the short end. I only open one or two bags a week (chickens), but couldn’t figure out a consistent method for string pulling. For the last couple years have just been cutting off both string-ends and pulling any string I can get a grip on. Usually works, but still once in awhile nothing works, so just use a knife to cut the &@$?!&$ open!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Have been opening near a ton of 50# and 25kg sacks per week for more than a few years.

The string bags ain’t so bad. You quickly recognize which side to start on. The worst was a malting house that didn’t sew their bags, but glued them. At some point they got some chatty glue and half the bags on a pallet would be failing at the seems before you even started to down stack them.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by MadMooner
Have been opening near a ton of 50# and 25kg sacks per week for more than a few years.

The string bags ain’t so bad. You quickly recognize which side to start on. The worst was a malting house that didn’t sew their bags, but glued them. At some point they got some chatty glue and half the bags on a pallet would be failing at the seems before you even started to down stack them.

I hate that, I have three pallets of stitched bags right now I’m working through that we’re stitched poorly. Two with the tape, one without (different manufacturers). Some let go when you pick them up, some when they hit the bed of the pickup. A giant mess, either way. And at $35 to $40 per bag, enough to just make my day every single time.

Sic Semper Tyrannis
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
To me, the old way is grabbing the end of the closure and just yanking up hard. The whole thing will just rip right off if your yank it hard enough.

Montana MOFO
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
When we were combining oats many years ago, we would sack the oats in burlap bags as they came out of a chute on the combine. It had two openings.While one was filling, we took the filled bag off and tied off the end with Miller's knot.No fancy stitching.I can remember what it looked like,but can't remember how to tie it.I do remember it came loose with just a pull of the string . Anyone ever use them?

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
As usual youtube is ones instructional friend

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_IQpqzD2iyI

Some spelling errors can be corrected by a vowel movement.
~ MOLON LABE ~
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

266 members (16penny, 280shooter, 29aholic, 204guy, 2ndwind, 300_savage, 35 invisible), 2,417 guests, and 1,208 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,366
Posts18,488,235
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.