Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
pal Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 1minute
...[Linked Image from d247nfungkrxrr.cloudfront.net] ...

Great photo.

"There's more to optics than meets the eye."--anon

"...most of us would be better off losing half a pound around the waist than half a pound on our rifle."--dhg

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Not one of my images, but pirated from elsewhere on the web.

1Minute
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Used to do that, but woke up one day and had more than I'll ever use. Kinda like casting bullets but I've still got 1,000# of lead I need to melt.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
been doing a bit with the feathers that I find locally...
don't come across much bright stuff..wonder if I could dye some white feathers.
maybe a sharpie or highlighter would work?

-OMotS

"If memory serves fails me..."
Quote: ( unnamed) "been prtty deep in the cooler todaay "

Television and radio are most effective when people question little and think even less.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
OldmanoftheSea:

been doing a bit with the feathers that I find locally

Yes. Lots of my materials are indeed roadkill. A near last straw for Cookie occurred one day when I began backing up the highway to scavenage a partially flattened but still attractive Persian cat. I went as far as opening the driver's side door, but left the poor beast in place.

Last edited by 1minute; 06/14/21.

1Minute
IC B2

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
OldmanoftheSea:

Yes. Lots of my materials are indeed roadkill. A near last straw for Cookie occurred one day when I began backing up the highway to scavenage a near flattened but still attractive Persian cat. I went as far as opening the driver's side door, but left the poor beast in place.

LMAO
One of my friends that ties flies told me I would start scavenging road kill when I start tying flies.
I told him I didn't think I would be doing that due to the amount of road kill I ate when I was young and lived with my hillbilly relatives in Arkansas.

Just because you're offended doesn't mean your right.
pal Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
OldmanoftheSea:

Yes. Lots of my materials are indeed roadkill. A near last straw for Cookie occurred one day when I began backing up the highway to scavenage a near flattened but still attractive Persian cat. I went as far as opening the driver's side door, but left the poor beast in place.

Ha! smile

"There's more to optics than meets the eye."--anon

"...most of us would be better off losing half a pound around the waist than half a pound on our rifle."--dhg

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Torqued
OldmanoftheSea:

LMAO
One of my friends that ties flies told me I would start scavenging road kill when I start tying flies.
I told him I didn't think I would be doing that due to the amount of road kill I ate when I was young and lived with my hillbilly relatives in Arkansas.

hmm never thought about tying a cat-tail...I find eagle, gull and osprey feathers kayaking and the occasional wood pecker or song bird wandering about the woods..

side note:
a pocket full of songbird feathers makes for warm hands on a cold day..

-OMotS

"If memory serves fails me..."
Quote: ( unnamed) "been prtty deep in the cooler todaay "

Television and radio are most effective when people question little and think even less.
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
simple pattern

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

chamois worm under an indicator. Simple and effective

crystal meth egg pattern

Last edited by ribka; 06/14/21.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
As a kid I got a Ned Grey's fly tying kit and had plenty of game bird feathers and various animal hair to use.

I was never good with a fly rod, catching mostly bushes, trees, my hat, and my ears. I did do a lot of dabbling in small trout streams with good success.

My favorite producers were smaller sized green body mosquitos and Adams.

Ned Grey founded Sierra Tackle in Montrose, California after World War II. It grew into a large distributor of fly tying materials. The Ned Grey kits were popular in the 1960s.

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

IC B3

S
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
S
I like natural materials the best, but will try anything…once. We used to have a cat that looked like it had mange, it’s multi colored fur made some good flys.
Bucktails, squirrel tails,etc. Have been having good luck with turkeys lately so my pheasant tail nymphs are now turkey tail nymphs.
When we lived in Florida I tied Clouser minnows mostly, they worked in the salt for everything.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Wet wading the Gulf is a lot of fun, just blind casting can lead to some strange, but interesting results.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by SS336
I like natural materials the best, but will try anything…once. We used to have a cat that looked like it had mange, it’s multi colored fur made some good flys.
Bucktails, squirrel tails,etc. Have been having good luck with turkeys lately so my pheasant tail nymphs are now turkey tail nymphs.
When we lived in Florida I tied Clouser minnows mostly, they worked in the salt for everything.

Wet wading the Gulf is a lot of fun, just blind casting can lead to some strange, but interesting results.

What is that?

Well we're Green and we're Gold, and we play better when it's cold. All us Cheese heads have our favorite superstar. We love Brett Favre.
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by SS336

What the hell is that thing ?

Just because you're offended doesn't mean your right.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Huntz
I usually just zip my fly.

Anymore that seems to be optional for me.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
What we throw for Big Stripers compared to what local fly guys catch.

Proud NRA Life Member
L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
I prefer gill net - got better things to do than endlessly flail the water, but you boys have at it.

There are moments of amusement tho.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

S
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
S
Torqued asked “What the hell is that thing ?”
It’s a Striped Burr Fish, a kind of puffer fish. Actually a pretty big one. Just another of the goofy fish in the gulf.
Kind of fun for a minute because they blow up and you think you have caught something good…..then the disappointment. 😂

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Been tying for the better part of a decade now, although I haven’t done much the last year and need to get back at it. Mostly bass and panfish with some trout and salt mixed in. Probably tied more flies for my old man than me. Apparently retiring means you get to fish a lot. Maybe I’ll get there one day eek

Just found a photo of the first fly I ever tied…done at the free weekly tying class at a local shop. All the blue hair fell out, I caught a white bass on it and then retired it.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

545 members (204guy, 06hunter59, 1beaver_shooter, 1OntarioJim, 222ND, 160user, 49 invisible), 13,319 guests, and 1,000 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,195,128
Posts18,542,349
Members74,057
Most Online21,066
May 26th, 2024

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.