Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Lots of people have been hurt or killed by wild 'pets', everything from deer to snakes to junk yard women. If an animal with less obvious weapons, like a deer, can do you in, one with very obvious weapons, like gators and women, are extra dangerous. They're natural predators.

šŸ˜‚
AughOh! Now we're bringing in crazy ex girlfriends into the picture?

No comparison IMHO.
Gators are like sleepy basset hounds compared to some pit bull crazy gal who'll chop up her man and mix you with the fish guts.

Steve Irwin worked with Salties and Nile crocs.
Gators can grab you if you let them, but like girlfriends and pet dogs, you got to learn what your critters are like. šŸ˜‰

MAC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
When he gets big enough turn him into a pair of boots

You get out of life what you are willing to accept. If you ain't happy, do something about it!
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by 12344mag
Originally Posted by Hastings
Someone has been feeding him. While he is small everything will be OK for a while, then you will have to kill him. His brain is very small and concentrates on only one thing besides breeding.

Eat him now while he's young and tender.

Don't be eatin' my lizard.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
He is eyeing you for food. Lizards arenā€™t like dogs or cats. They donā€™t attach themselves to people for anything but food.

Make sure you have your 44mag handy when your ā€œfriendā€ is close and keep small children away. I would drive him away with rocks or a long pole so problems donā€™t happen.

[Linked Image from ]
J
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by stxhunter
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
^^ full of chit^^

You will have to be more specific.

happy crapper.

I lost that bet. I had the OP and dirty camper!

IC B2

O
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by jmdriver
^^ full of chit^^

happy crapper.

You do seem like a loser.

The degree of my privacy is no business of yours.

What we've learned from history is that we haven't learned from it.
J
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by Old_Toot
^^ full of chit^^

happy crapper.

Seeming like a loser is one thing. You leave no doubt you are a loser. Thatā€™s special. You are special.

O
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
O
^^ full of chit^^

happy crapper.

Seeming like a loser is one thing. You leave no doubt you are a loser. Thatā€™s special. You are special.

Thanks for your input. It means so much.
Please know that.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by gunzo
Ya gotta name him

Phideaux

LOL

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~MolɔĢ€Ėn LabĆ© SkĆ½la~
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
CHOOTIM !

IC B3

O
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by GAGoober
CHOOTIM !

Ole CHOOTIM, Landry has a pretty good little restaurant there in Pierre Part. Excellent turtle sauce piquant.

Good daily lunch specials too.

Iā€™m told itā€™s his familyā€™s restaurant.

C
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
C
Nearby here some woman visiting in a "senior community" defied everyone's warnings and got up close to an 8 or 9 foot gator on the bank of the retention pond to take a picture. Someone warned her that they'd recently seen it grab a deer and pull it in. Her response: "Well....I don't look like a deer." Sure enough, the gator grabbed her and started dragging her in. Couple guys ran out and tossed her a rope, but it was no use. Her last words before the gator rolled her under: "I guess I won't be doing that again."

Mathew 22: 37-39

O
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
O
Someone here a while back posted a short video clip of a really big one going up to then over a 6ā€™ chain link fence and then continuing on about his way.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Wondering if yā€™all have seen this before.

I bought a camp recently down in the swamps south of Pierre Part, home of tvā€™s ā€œSwamp Peopleā€. Lots of gators in the area my camp is on an access bayou to the main lakes and bayous areas. The whole greater area is beautiful Spanish moss laden cypress and live oaks

The camp that I bought hasnā€™t been used in over a year and Iā€™ve had a lot of outside cleaning and work to do, going twice weekly.

For the past 4 visits Iā€™ve had a young gator thatā€™s about 3-4ā€™ long come up and just follow me around while Iā€™m working. Heā€™s not a problem, heā€™s not aggressive, just seems curious and is almost like a dog following me around. Itā€™s the same gator as he has a chunk missing off the top tip of his tail.

When I go under my cook shed and turn on the floor fan to sip a cool one and rest a bit he comes and lays about 2-3ā€™ away from me and then follows when I get up and go back to work.

I know theyā€™re curious but have never seen this type behavior before.

If he comes back Friday Iā€™m gonna name him Gator McCluskey.

Dog?

Reminds me of an old joke.... Guy goes into this biker bar where the patrons love their pit bulls and rottweilers..... He has a short legged yellow dog on a leash and the bikers immediately start in on him and that "stupid yellow dog" of his....

Guy says wait a minute, "He's tough, bring out your best dog and $100 and we'll see......"

So the bikers bring out this big mean ole Rottie and say "sic'em"...... well, that little yellow dog gave the rottie one big bite and the fight was over..... the bikers are amazed.. they want a dog like that...."What kind is it?"

So the guy collects his $100 and says... "Well, before we cut his tail off and painted him yellow, he was an alligator!"

The tax collector said: ā€œLord Jesus, have mercy on me, a sinner.ā€ Jesus said he went home ā€œjustified.ā€

B
BLG Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Happy Camper has got to be related to Timmothy Treadwell.

Clyde

The liberal mind is an endless black hole of stupidity.
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by Happy_Camper
Wondering if yā€™all have seen this before.

I bought a camp recently down in the swamps south of Pierre Part, home of tvā€™s ā€œSwamp Peopleā€. Lots of gators in the area my camp is on an access bayou to the main lakes and bayous areas. The whole greater area is beautiful Spanish moss laden cypress and live oaks

The camp that I bought hasnā€™t been used in over a year and Iā€™ve had a lot of outside cleaning and work to do, going twice weekly.

For the past 4 visits Iā€™ve had a young gator thatā€™s about 3-4ā€™ long come up and just follow me around while Iā€™m working. Heā€™s not a problem, heā€™s not aggressive, just seems curious and is almost like a dog following me around. Itā€™s the same gator as he has a chunk missing off the top tip of his tail.

When I go under my cook shed and turn on the floor fan to sip a cool one and rest a bit he comes and lays about 2-3ā€™ away from me and then follows when I get up and go back to work.

I know theyā€™re curious but have never seen this type behavior before.

If he comes back Friday Iā€™m gonna name him Gator McCluskey.

Yes sir,

It sounds like an awesome camp a lot of us would enjoy if we had that same honor.
I've raised a couple of those critters . I've never liked how the gator people series treated the fine animals even though I hunt and eat game. It just seems a little too sensational with no educational benefits to the rest of us who may have opportunity to enjoy those Cyprus rivers.

It varies from gator to gator, much like people, but they can be very intelligent. I've exposed thousands of people to my gators. I followed safety rules so there's never been anyone exposed to any risks. Perhaps some little boy raised him as a baby like they do box turtles around here. Maybe he is just curious and for whatever reason, friendly.
Whatever the reason he's taken a liking to you, this is my opinion.

IF he bothers you, or you are concerned about possible future behavior, you have two good options.

1. Relocate it to a distant waterway far from roads and homes that has plenty of food and little competition from big gators. It might take someone with experience and a gentle hand, like a zoo keeper of a reptile exhibit. Most people that catch gators don't know how to properly do so without killing them or breaking the spine leading to death. Second thought is that this is not a good option.

3. Carry a long straw broom with you. When he approaches, gently shoe it away. Just carefully push it away in the direction you want it to go...back into the closest line to water. If you do this use much caution and I'd wear heavy leather boots just in case..
They are smarter than they look, usually....
It will eventually get the idea and should quit bothering you. Just be consistent and gentle. It'll learn.

If you enjoy it's company and want it around, then treat it like you would any other wild animal. Don't trust it 100%, and keep a broom handle nearby. Don't let grandchildren too close with supervision. Never allow children around it without supervision. Never feed it, or let anyone else feed it. That includes neighbors. The only way you can prevent that is by talking to them about the fact that he adopted you and one thing you'd like is a friendly around instead of a mean one. Teach them how he will get acclimated to being fed if they ever do that or leave meat scraps out....then your friend might have to be destroyed......Remind them occasionally since they might be tempted. Show them how you direct him with the side bristles of a long straw broom. I'd buy them a broom like that if he gets friendly with them too. Teach them by demonstration when he's over there so they can try for themselves supervised the first time. This might prevent a future unfortunate experience with them. You just use it with the bristles to the ground like you were sweeping her away. Keep it between you and it as a barrier and sweep in the direction it should go but extremely sloooow. Be patient. They are more like sleepy basset hounds than a Chihuahua.

Animals and humans CAN live in harmony even if they aren't dogs. My late Dad was extremely blessed by one of my gators. He liked him as much as any dog. That made for some good memories. They both liked each other and spoke to each other. Yes, they communicate. You'll learn the different tones of grunts, hisses, etc. They are very interesting modern day "dinosaurs."

Holy fuuuck

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Family comes from old pioneering stock grew up around their farms.
Gators were never in the mi, but other predators were.

If it would kill chickens,
eat eggs,
threaten cows or hogs of any size,
or pose any risk to humans. It died.

They mostly didn't like any snakes. They died too.

And gator that got too friendly?
"He was just too friendly!"

"But now he's tasty."

Are fish cleaning stations on the bayou, near the camp,
A good idea?

Thinking maybe put the crap in a bucket, and move it away.

Hillbilly here.
Things in the water that can eat me are foreign,
And creepy.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
O
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck
Family comes from old pioneering stock grew up around their farms.
Gators were never in the mi, but other predators were.

If it would kill chickens,
eat eggs,
threaten cows or hogs of any size,
or pose any risk to humans. It died.

They mostly didn't like any snakes. They died too.

And gator that got too friendly?
"He was just too friendly!"

"But now he's tasty."

Are fish cleaning stations on the bayou, near the camp,
A good idea?

Thinking maybe put the crap in a bucket, and move it away.

Hillbilly here.
Things in the water that can eat me are foreign,
And creepy.

The fish cleaning stations are 50 yds away, some a lot closer. The birds really like like the offal as do the turtles.

The gators are just a regular fact of life in the whole area. Problem gators are handeled quickly with just a phone call. Itā€™s not uncommon to see dead ones along the highways that have been hit by vehicles.

Itā€™s part of the ambiance.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
You got grandkids that may visit this camp? Yes/No. Kill it anyway.

You got dogs that may visit this camp? Yes/No. Kill it anyway.

Last edited by AZmark; 06/16/21.

Life (and forums) is like a box of animal crackers----There's a Jackass in every box
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I had a Rattlesnake do that . He started following somebody else one day and we never saw him again.

FUGK CCP

Itā€™s time to WAKE UP
GOD BLESS THE USA
WWG1WGA
THERE ARE NO COINCIDENCES
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

554 members (17CalFan, 160user, 1beaver_shooter, 1badf350, 12344mag, 10gaugeman, 62 invisible), 2,352 guests, and 1,308 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,702
Posts18,494,272
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.