Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
P
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
P
Won a del Inspiron 1525 laptop, but it is password protected and they do not know what it is been told I have to pay Del if I want to get it removed or reset, anyone know a way around that, even would work if I could get a recovery disk or memory stick I was told.

"The 375HH is the greatest level of power you can get for the investment in recoil." (JJHack)
79s and losttrail, biggest waste of air.
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'd just wipe it clean, and re-install the OS. You won a used laptop?

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Does your used Porsche also need an ignition system?

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Is it password protected at the bios or the operating system?

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Do a *secure* wipe of the drive.

Reinstall. It is HIGHLY preferable to use Linux. All free and fully functional.

Google will explain everything in great detail.

IC B2

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Originally Posted by OldHat
Do a *secure* wipe of the drive. ... Reinstall. ...

My first thought as well. If you do not know the history of the device, a complete wipe and re-load of the O/S would reduce the possibility of bringing something along from a past life that you do not want to deal with...

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
+1 on a clean wipe
+1 on Ubuntu LINUX-- THis is what I use on nearly all my home machines.

I'm also hesitant to start giving out instructions for defeating passwords in an online forum. Yes, there are ways. I've done it. The problem is that I really don't know the reality of the situation-- whose laptop it is, and why you have it.

A reformatting of the drive and a clean install of the OS pretty much gets rid of all those questions.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I have an article on how to test-drive and then install Linux. I recommend Linux Mint over Ubuntu, but the steps are the same for any Linux OS you choose. Send me a PM with your email address so I can attach the article.

My first thought is that you "won" an obsolete and worn out laptop. The Inspiron 1525 was released in 2008, so it's a pretty old machine. I'd bet that at minimum, you'll need a new battery and a charge cord. You may even need to upgrade the memory and hard disk to gain enough resources to run even a lightweight Linux OS like Zorin or Feren (either of which will be MUCH safer, secure, and faster than whatever Windows is on it now. It came with that godawful Vista Home Basic!) It's a good thing all Linux OS are free because whatever you got that laptop for, you're likely going to need to spend some more.

Edit to add: I had a laptop from 2012 that I gave to Wabigoon when his machine died a few months ago. I shipped it to him with Linux Feren installed on it, and he's doing just fine using Linux. If he can jump right in and use Linux with no transition woes, so can you. It's nothing to fear. Maybe he'll even reply here to assure you.

Last edited by RockyRaab; 06/18/21.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
I've never seen anything about Linux so I'm pretty ignorant about it. I have been thinking lately about getting away from Microsoft though. Are there any downsides to Linux?

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
The only real downside is if you are a heavy gamer or need to run some "Windows-only" software like Adobe stuff that can't be "translated" to run on Linux. If you're an average home user, you'll never miss Windows. Quite the opposite - you'll be so damn glad you're rid of it that you'll bless the day you went to Linux.

PM me with your email.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Online Happy
Campfire Regular
If you want to see what's on the machine before you wipe the disk clean, boot it up using Windows 98, There is no security on Windows 98,

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by RockyRaab

My first thought is that you "won" an obsolete and worn out laptop.

Think also that the laptop may have been compromised/infected, causing the previous owner great grief, leading to donation to get rid of the mess.
A big upvote on the wipe and reinstall.
On the other hand , if it wears the initials "H.B.", it may have great value as is.

Last edited by Border Doc; 06/18/21.

“You must endeavour to enjoy the pleasure of doing good. That is all that makes life valuable.”
Robert E. Lee, in a letter to his invalid wife.
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Here's a 24-minute video about setting up Linux Mint for the first time. Watch it and get a feel for how familiar it is and how easy the transition can be. Then read my article and get started. Trying any version of Linux on a bootable USB stick is risk-free without wiping out your existing system.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I used a USB stick loaded with Linux to break into a dead relative's PC and recover all the files. That machine was running Windows 8.

I don't remember the details and don't know if it still works (on Windows 10), but you might want to look into it if you value the files.

Politics is War by Other Means
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
It’s Pelosi’s!

Last edited by Buck720; 06/18/21.
O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
The only real downside is if you are a heavy gamer or need to run some "Windows-only" software like Adobe stuff that can't be "translated" to run on Linux. If you're an average home user, you'll never miss Windows. Quite the opposite - you'll be so damn glad you're rid of it that you'll bless the day you went to Linux.

PM me with your email.

There are several ways to game on linux. Good games too. With good performance.

Wine is a possibility for some Windows only software. Distributions have it in their repository. That all said, Windows software on Linux is a bad idea overall.
https://www.winehq.org/

I agree most people will never notice Windows being gone. Microsoft sucks.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by rainshot
I've never seen anything about Linux so I'm pretty ignorant about it. I have been thinking lately about getting away from Microsoft though. Are there any downsides to Linux?

The only downside I have found is it's a pain in the ass to get loaded and working, I still haven't got it to load and I'm somewhat familiar with installing OS but it still doesn't want to cooperate on any of the machines I've tried to load it on. I'd love to get it working but have given up on it after many tries. YMMV

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The other thing I might add here is LINUX usually gives better performance than Windows on basic tasks. I have mostly older computers, and I'm running mostly Ubuntu Linux 21.04 (the latest). These machines are mostly from 2012-2017 in vintage. They run faster with Ubuntu than WIN 7 or WIN 10.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Originally Posted by Tyrone
I used a USB stick loaded with Linux to break into a dead relative's PC and recover all the files. That machine was running Windows 8.

I don't remember the details and don't know if it still works (on Windows 10), but you might want to look into it if you value the files.

If you know what you are dong this linux build is invaluable for may many things. It's dirt cheap but well worth the few bucks.
https://partedmagic.com/

Two obstacles may arise when trying to recover a deceased loved ones files.
1) bios password, don't know anything about this so google is your friend here.
2) full disk encryption, you are SOL in this case. Stuff is gone unless you know the password.

Last edited by OldHat; 06/18/21.
O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Originally Posted by RJL53
Originally Posted by rainshot

The only downside I have found is it's a pain in the ass to get loaded and working, I still haven't got it to load and I'm somewhat familiar with installing OS but it still doesn't want to cooperate on any of the machines I've tried to load it on. I'd love to get it working but have given up on it after many tries. YMMV

If you use a mature distribution like ubuntu things usually go pretty well.

There are times when linux causes grief. This is true. Google is very helpful here because there is an enormous amount of info on line to help people.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

445 members (12344mag, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 160user, 17CalFan, 163bc, 45 invisible), 2,389 guests, and 1,268 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,627
Posts18,474,193
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.