Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
The Interlock is one of the best cup and core bullets for holding together. In informal testing shooting them into a clay bank they were the closest cup and core bullet to the Nosler partition in performance. The core might slip but still stayed in the jacket. One of the faster kills on moose I have seen was with a Silver tip in a 250 Savage, too quick the moose was in three feet of water. The interlock is one of the most consistent cup and core bullets but if there is ever a need for a premium bullet moose would be it. Their ribs can be bigger than a deer fore leg and a big one is truly massive. I would have no issue using the Hornaday but if loading with moose in mind I would load a Barnes or maybe a 160 grain Partition. It would give me added peace of mind.

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by mainer_in_ak
200 grain Hornady on a smallish bull moose from 358 win. Impact velocity was probably 2500 fps. Massive loss of bloodshot meat. Shallow wound. May as well been a hollowpoint varmint bullet the way it blew apart:

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

338 RCM 225 sst factory load my buddy's cow moose. He is disabled, so I tracked it for him, packed it out, and processed it for him. Shallow wound bout all of 6 inches. Massive loss of bloodshot meat. May as well have been a varmint bullet the way it fragmented. Impact velocity of about 2600 fps.

Using mostly 358 win, 9.3x62 and my 41 wildcat off the ole nine-three using woodleigh, nosler partition, and swift A-Frames, I've had some of the most boring, dead where I need em bull moose right beside the river.

Medium to Large Alaskan moose, they stop 300 grain 9.3 and 41 cal 350 grain A-Frames:

So in other words, you have no experience with the 150 gr. Interlock out of a .270, right?

Todd

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I personally wouldn’t hesitate to use them. I as well have no experience using the 150 interlock on anything, but based on my experience with the 165 out of a 30-06, and 154 out of a .280, all on elk, the 150 is what I have loaded for my wife to use in her elk hunt this year. All that said, if she was going bull moose hunting I would probably have her shooting a 150 partition as well.

Todd

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My daughter killed couple of moose using the 140 hornady out of her 270. Kills em dead, last year she used a 150 partition in her 270. But I’m not in a nat geo tv show so what the hell do I know😁

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
John, that hunt footage you shared of your daughters last moose hunt, I believe that young woman would be deadly with any bullet from any centerfire. Way to keep those youngsters in the woods, hunting and fishing!

One of the upper Yukon bush gals, has shot more moose with a 270 using whatever ammo is in stock, for many years.

Another fella in the village of deering, runs a 270 Ruger mk ll. He's been taking moose and caribou with that rifle for almost three decades. Moose bear and caribou are taken all over Alaska with the 270 every year.

IC B2

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
The vary reason John Nosler came up with the Partition design was failures of cup and core bullets on moose, at least that's the story.

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
John, that hunt footage you shared of your daughters last moose hunt, I believe that young woman would be deadly with any bullet from any centerfire. Way to keep those youngsters in the woods, hunting and fishing!

One of the upper Yukon bush gals, has shot more moose with a 270 using whatever ammo is in stock, for many years.

Another fella in the village of deering, runs a 270 Ruger mk ll. He's been taking moose and caribou with that rifle for almost three decades. Moose bear and caribou are taken all over Alaska with the 270 every year.

Michael majority of the time that’s what I lug around here in alaska model 70 in a 270 Winchester.

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Justahunter
200 grain Hornady on a smallish bull moose from 358 win. Impact velocity was probably 2500 fps. Massive loss of bloodshot meat. Shallow wound. May as well been a hollowpoint varmint bullet the way it blew apart:

338 RCM 225 sst factory load my buddy's cow moose. He is disabled, so I tracked it for him, packed it out, and processed it for him. Shallow wound bout all of 6 inches. Massive loss of bloodshot meat. May as well have been a varmint bullet the way it fragmented. Impact velocity of about 2600 fps.

Using mostly 358 win, 9.3x62 and my 41 wildcat off the ole nine-three using woodleigh, nosler partition, and swift A-Frames, I've had some of the most boring, dead where I need em bull moose right beside the river.

Medium to Large Alaskan moose, they stop 300 grain 9.3 and 41 cal 350 grain A-Frames:

So in other words, you have no experience with the 150 gr. Interlock out of a .270, right?

Todd

I think his point is that cup and core bullets will sometimes fail and a heaver premium game bullet will up your odds.

It is not about what you kill, it is about the hunt....
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by WMR
Sorry if this is too far off topic, but how about the 270 with the 150 Partition? Mine shoots it at 2970 with Reloader 26. I’m considering taking it to AK for moose. I’d be unguided so bears are a bit of a concern. Would a 30-06 be better? Thanks.

YES TO YOUR QUESTION !

Dirty Harry

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I'd take that combo without hesitation.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
IC B3

Dre Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
If I were to take my 270 it be with 130 ttsx.
These things are deadly accurate and will go through bone and then some

All of them do something better than the 30-06, but none of them do everything as well.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Am currently shootin' the CnC Speer GS 150 gr., but have shot the HDY in the past.

W/ a muzzle velocity of ~ 2800 fps, and commensurate impact velocities, they hold up well enough.

GR

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Having killed a half dozen moose your 150 Hornady will probably work. Having said that, a Partition or Barnes would be a far better choice.

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
I have an uncle who lives in northern British Columbia. He and his sons all use 270 Win for moose and they collectively shoot several every fall IIRC, they use 130 grain garden variety Core Locks. His daughters and wife us 243 Win and he says they all kill fast and efficient.

My wife uses a 30-06 with 150 gr TSX on moose and deer. Pretty much the same.

"Keep thy heart with all diligence; for out of it are the issues of life." (Prov 4:23)

Brother Keith

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I’ve never shot a moose let alone one with a 277” 150 hornady. I have shot many deer with a 270 and 130 hornady bullets. It’s killed every one I shot very quickly but I’ve had a few of them blow to pieces on deer…. If I used a 270 with 150 IL hornady I’d for sure be careful with my shot and place it in the ribs. But if I was going to all the trouble involved in a moose hunt and a 270 is what I had to use, I’d definitely try to find some 150 partitions, Aframes or 130tsx/TTSX to shoot out of it. Good luck on your hunt. I hope y’all have success with whatever you choose.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've experience with two interlocks, 150 .30 caliber, 129 .26 caliber, all on deer. Both at around 2700 fps muzzle velocity, shots inside 300 yards. Good bullet, but in my experience they open fast. If I went after larger game, I'd choose a tougher bullet. But I wouldn't stay home if that's all I had.

Last edited by 300_savage; 09/06/21.
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I can't say about moose, but I do have a .264 140g interlock that hit a railroad ty at ~3000 fps. It stayed together and mushroomed back to the interlock. Perfect performance if you ask me. I would bet the 150g out of a 270 would do just as good.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by szihn

I am 100% sure you can kill moose with them, but I would add that I would use a 150 or 160 grain Partition, Swift A-Frame or a Barnes TSX instead if I had a choice. In the last 50 years I have seen only 4 moose killed with 270 Winchesters and I for one have never killed a moose with a 270. But I did kill horses and cattle with a 270 several times when I was a kid.

Moose are similar to their thin skin cousins in the deer family. That being said, I saw an Elk shot in the spine (broke her back) while the second shot went through her neck. The rounds were factory SST's. The third shot bounced off her cheek just below her right eye. The forth, and final shot, shot went through her eye socket.

I took a deer with a Barnes 130gr TTSX at around 80 yards. The round penciled through the buck but damaged the heart and lungs before exiting.

What I'm trying to say is shot placement is important but shot placement with a bonded or mono-metal bullet is better.

Remember lead and lead core bullets have been killing animals for decade's. Fortunately, technology has given us better tools.

Remember, not everyone has a happy ending, so be happy when you can
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

84 members (35, Akhutr, 10gaugemag, akrange, 15 invisible), 1,658 guests, and 852 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,628
Posts18,492,940
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.