Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
W
wy0ming Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
W
Would a "micro compact" (Shield plus, Ruger Max-9, Sig P365) be a bad choice for a first non-rimfire handgun? I know that smaller handguns are said to be more difficult to shoot well and not as fun to shoot and therefore not as likely to get practiced with. With the capacity of these small guns getting so large, it is awfully tempting to make my first handgun one that I can comfortably concealed carry.

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I shoot my Sig P365 as well as my larger pistols. A P365 XL would be a good choice for a concealable micro. Both the barrel and grip are slightly longer. I like the 12 round mags in my 365 and that is the standard grip length on the XL version.

Let's Go Brandon! FJB
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by douglasfir
Would a "micro compact" (Shield plus, Ruger Max-9, Sig P365) be a bad choice for a first non-rimfire handgun? I know that smaller handguns are said to be more difficult to shoot well and not as fun to shoot and therefore not as likely to get practiced with. With the capacity of these small guns getting so large, it is awfully tempting to make my first handgun one that I can comfortably concealed carry.

I don't know why not. My first handgun, in 1980, was a Ruger Speed Six in .357 Magnum. Of course, I started shooting target wadcutters through it.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J

Originally Posted by NVhntr
I shoot my Sig P365 as well as my larger pistols. A P365 XL would be a good choice for a concealable micro. Both the barrel and grip are slightly longer. I like the 12 round mags in my 365 and that is the standard grip length on the XL version.

This ^^^^^^^^^^^^
The Sig P-365's are as easy to shoot well as a full size pistol

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
When you say 'Micro' I think of Kahr PM sized guns. I see the general class of Hellcat/P365 pistols as subcompacts.

I do expect the class of pistols being discussed here will eventually divert sales away from the G19 and its close competitors.

Last edited by SargeMO; 06/18/21.

Direct Impingement is the Fart Joke of military rifle operating systems. ⓒ
IC B2

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I have a P365 standard size. I have smallish hands so the 10 round magazines aren't too short for me. I just got two 12 round magazines and they come with the grip extensions for the standard size 365s. I found my pistol points better with the longer grip of the 12 rounders. It all depends on how you plan to carry your pistol. Using the 12 rounds mags pocket carry won't work well for me. I plan to get a paddle holster for my 365. My primary carry pistol is a S&W EZ 9 and I carry it in an OWB holster. The EZ 9 is the same length and over all height as a Glock 19 but has a thinner grip (8 rounds) and the mags are easy to load without a magazine loader and the slide is far easier to pull back than may other pistols. The Glocks with staggered column mags are to fat for my hands. Since it's your first pistol I suggest one with a manual safety.

The Karma bus always has an empty seat when it comes around.- High Brass

There's battle lines being drawn
Nobody's right if everybody's wrong
D
dla Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D

Unless you are super serious about concealed carry, you'd be much happier with a full-sized pistol.
A lot of folks "talk", "dream" of carrying concealed. But all they really do is go to and from the range. The fact is that a guy can easily conceal a full-size pistol - you don't need a girly gun.

Last edited by dla; 06/18/21.
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
If I can’t get three fingers on the grip, I don’t feel like I have control of the gun.

A G19 is easy enough to conceal for me, but I’m seldom in shorts and tank top, even in summer.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
I love my P365's, but let's not kid ourselves here. Get yourself a Glock 19.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I have a 365XL and a Shield Plus. I will be the odd man out here and pick the Shield. I like the 365XL but I shoot the Shield better

I may not be smart but I can lift heavy objects

I have a shotgun so I have no need for a 30-06.....
IC B3

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by SargeMO
When you say 'Micro' I think of Kahr PM sized guns. I see the general class of Hellcat/P365 pistols as subcompacts.

I do expect the class of pistols being discussed here will eventually divert sales away from the G19 and its close competitors.

I usually think of micro as Ruger LCP or kel tec type size

W
wy0ming Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
W
Didn't mean to throw anyone off with the "micro compact" thing. It's just the term I've seen used for these pistols most often in magazines and on youtube.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by hikerbum
Originally Posted by SargeMO

I usually think of micro as Ruger LCP or kel tec type size

"Pocket Guns" to my age group LOL. Creating new terminology is a marketing strategy to get people interested in buying something a little different than they already have. In this case they seem to have actually offered a package that a seasoned shooter can use about as well as the midsize pistols.

In my mind, this and the LC9 class of pistols is where the 9mm really makes sense.

Direct Impingement is the Fart Joke of military rifle operating systems. ⓒ
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Known as an “ubercompact” in some circles. 🤣

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Gopherit....

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Like has already been said the only reason to own a small gun is to carry concealed. Take a class to learn proper handgun fundamentals and with regular practice you can shoot any handgun effectively. I do own a G43 which I like OK but is only used in the backcountry to save weight. My EDC is a G19. which I wear aiwb summer and winter.

mike r

Don't wish it were easier
Wish you were better

Stab them in the taint, you can't put a tourniquet on that.
Craig Douglas ECQC
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by lvmiker
Like has already been said the only reason to own a small gun is to carry concealed. Take a class to learn proper handgun fundamentals and with regular practice you can shoot any handgun effectively. I do own a G43 which I like OK but is only used in the backcountry to save weight. My EDC is a G19. which I wear aiwb summer and winter.

mike r
Why not just train harder and carry a full-size or the aforementioned G19?

My SIG P938 is very small, but it shoots nicely too. Maybe not as nice as my current "service-sized" Security 9, but it's pretty good. Seems like some smallish guns just don't recoil badly. Then there's the Kel Tec P9...

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by EthanEdwards

mike r

My SIG P938 is very small, but it shoots nicely too. Maybe not as nice as my current "service-sized" Security 9, but it's pretty good. Seems like some smallish guns just don't recoil badly. Then there's the Kel Tec P9...

Not surprised that you didn't comprehend my post. To simplify, if you master the fundamentals you can shoot any hand gun competently. Small guns are for those willing to compromise which I will do in the backcountry to save weight. When around humans I maximize my potential.

you are welcome

mike r

Wish you were better

Craig Douglas ECQC
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by EthanEdwards

mike r

Not surprised that you didn't comprehend my post. To simplify, if you master the fundamentals you can shoot any hand gun competently. Small guns are for those willing to compromise which I will do in the backcountry to save weight. When around humans I maximize my potential.

you are welcome

mike r
lol Exactly what do you think I didn't understand? It seems more like you didn't understand my question. If you think a full-size or compact (Glock 19) is significantly better, wouldn't it be better to have that backpacking if there is no downside? If you can "train the downside out", why not do that rather than carry an inferior choice?

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
EE, for the 3rd time, the G43 is more than 8oz lighter than the G19. This is of value for some when spending a day moving on your feet in an environment mostly free of humans. I shoot both like a boss. When the threat level increases w/ population density I prefer the higher cap gun and carry more reloads. Pretty simple in concept and execution.

mike r

Wish you were better

Craig Douglas ECQC
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

546 members (1badf350, 1936M71, 160user, 17CalFan, 12344mag, 10gaugemag, 56 invisible), 2,647 guests, and 1,380 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,704
Posts18,475,294
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.