Print Thread
Hop To
L
ldg397 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
L
I picked up a pre 64 model 70 fw in .270. It looks pretty original but is probably shooter grade. Has old but not original recoil pad, stock is cut, and missing original sling loops. The bolt handle is drilled and then bluing and bore are really remarkable for the age. Serial numbers matching and dates to 1960.

Here is the kicker original owner scratched a cursive symbol in the floor plate and action on the right side in two places. One barely visible and one pretty promo at. Floor plate is really prominent. Looks like it was engraved pretty crisp and clear would think it is just a weird scratch if they didn’t all match.

I paid shooter grade price so I am fine on price but it is a really nice rifle. Considering adding an aftermarket wood stock with some figure. But the floor plate and action is there anything that can be done to improve or fix the appearance other than a complete reblue?

GB1

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Floor plates are easy to change. Also pictures would seem fitting in a thread like this

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
L
ldg397 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
L
I am terrible at uploading pictures. This should be the whole album.

Winchester 70
Pic 2
Pic 3
Pic 4
Pic 5

Last edited by ldg397; 06/18/21.
E
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
E
Stating the obvious, either live with it or polish it out and reblue. If you change out the hinge plate there is still the scratching on the action to be dealt with. Appears to be a nice rifle and IMO certainly worth a reblue. I am pretty certain you would cover the cost of a reblue on a resale.

L
ldg397 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
L
So would you have to reblue the action and barrel or can you just reblue the action and keep Barrel original?? Who would be recommended to do something like this.

I will try to find a different bottom metal to correct that issue should be easy enough.

Can I put a red pachmyer on it or does it need to be replica red pad? I assume bedding it won’t hurt value anymore than stock already being cut?

IC B2

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Shaking head here on why some dumb fu ck would do that to a rifle like that. To answer your question, yes you can install a red pachmayr recoil pad. I'd do that before any repro pad. The repro pad does not add any value to the rifle at all. Repeat, even though some here think it does (topic for another discussion), the reproduction pad DOES NOT add value to that rifle. Yes, at this point you can glass bed it and it won't hurt the value of the rifle, but undoubtedly will help with achieving consistent accuracy. If done properly. Also, I could personally fix that rifle and no one would be the wiser.. Oops, did I say that on an open forum??

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
That mark looks like a brand. I have seen branded M94's that were ranch property, wonder if your M70 was ranch property at some point in time? I scratched a M70 receiver on a bolt in a tree stand once, touched up the blue and it blended in pretty well in the matte finish area. Get a Presto Gun Blue Pen and see if you can diminish it somewhat. Nice old rifle to hunt with at any rate.

One of the sanest, surest, and most generous joys of life comes from being happy over the good fortune of others.
Archibald Rutledge

L
ldg397 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
L
Quite possibly a brand. I checked the brand registry for the surrounding counties and didn’t find a match. Don’t feel like searching all the counties in texas. Don’t have that kind of time. Ha.

I will try to get a replacement hinge for the floor plate, get it bedded and new pad. It really is a beautiful rifle. The barrel blue isperfect and the bore looks amazing. I got $650 in it. Maybe put a gloss M8 in S&k mounts

P
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
P

I’d just fit a red pad to the gun. The bluing does not bother me and to my eye it looks far better now than it will when touched up.

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
[quote=Poconojack]
I’d just fit a red pad to the gun. The bluing does not bother me and to my eye it looks far better now than it will when touched up.

+1

IC B3

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I think the brand on it is kinda cool and would not do anything with those portions.

I didn't see the pad situation but pads are easily changed and once a rifle has a pad there's no going back, so might as well just put what you like on there and move on.

"Miss Jean Louise, stand up. Your father's passin.'"
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by BKinSD
I think the brand on it is kinda cool and would not do anything with those portions.

I didn't see the pad situation but pads are easily changed and once a rifle has a pad there's no going back, so might as well just put what you like on there and move on.

Like I always tell the gunshop owners selling rifles. "That recoil pad turned a $400.00 stock into a $150.00 stock"... The same can be said for something that has been re-chambered. However, with that being said, I actually like the ones that have had an aftermarket recoil pad installed. That means its fair game for a good glass bedding job now. All bets are off at that point..

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
There's a lot of truth in that BSA. Totally agree.

"Miss Jean Louise, stand up. Your father's passin.'"
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Honestly, why are you worried about the marks... I would certainly claim they are a brand... you "fixing" the marks is not going to increase the value of the gun and might even hurt it more... put the pad you like on it and glass bed it and go hunting....

The worst thing ever to happen to cops is the personal video recorder... Now people can see the truth
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

This one used to have the original owners social security number engraved on the receiver, below the stock line. Zoom in on the picture if you want. Its not there anymore...

BSA MAGA
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Repro pads are horrible at reducing recoil, a red Pachmyer is the way to go. As far as glass bedding goes, I've owned dozens of M/70's and never felt the need to glass bed any of them. As far as rebluing just the action that is certainly possible. Just prepare the action and the barreled action can go in the bluing tank as a unit. I've done several that way, no harm to the blued parts.

Last edited by gunswizard; 06/30/21.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

527 members (1OntarioJim, 007FJ, 1Longbow, 1moredeer, 160user, 10Glocks, 47 invisible), 2,313 guests, and 1,183 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,398
Posts18,470,039
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.