Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
B
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
B
After the Christensen Ranger 22 I bought a few months ago turned out to be a lemon the dealer traded me into a tikka T1x and a 30 moa rail instead. I wish they would have had a 16" but 20" is all they had.

I took the tikka to the range last night to sight it in. I got there a little late in the evening and light was fading so I set up on a bench on a 50 yard lane and took a couple of rounds to zero it.

I then started with some cci standard velocity stuff that usually shoots well for cheap stuff. The first 5 shot group at 50 yards was under 1/2" one nice well rounded hole. The next group was 10 shots at about 1/2". I tried some Aguila Super Extra 40g lead that shot great too. I then tried my old stand by cheap load American Eagle 38g hp and it shot pretty well but dropped one of the 10 an inch or more out of the group. Stingers did good enough for hunting but were the worst of the bunch. Velocitors, my favorite all around load, managed under 1/2 inch as did some other loads so I was happy.

Overall I was very impressed by the Tikkas accuracy given that I was rushing through several types of ammo in fading light. The only problem I had was I had several rounds not eject well or just drop back down onto the next round and stop the bolt cycle.

I haven't looked it over yet because we left town for the day early this morning. My guess is there's just a little problem with the extractor or maybe ejector. I'm hoping to just fix it myself because the gun shoots well enough that I don't want berretta messing with it.

Have any of you had ejection problems with your T1x? If so what was the issue and how did you fix it? I'll probably start with the extractor and make sure it doesn't have a burr or something.

Bb

GB1

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I own a 2019 made T1x of the same model. My gun shoots well, but not quite as well as yours seems to,

Sounds like you have an exceptional rifle in that it shoots many loads to 1 MOA or less.

With regards to your ejection problems- is sounds like the extractor is doing it's job as it is actually pulling the casings free of the chamber.

The Tikka ejector is a unique wire spring design that shoves the empty case upward ward and to the right almost as soon as it clears the chamber. The purpose of that design (as with spring plunger ejectors on centerfires) is to make the ejection independent of how the operator runs the bolts as opposed to a fixed ejector blade at the end of the bolt stroked kicking out the empty case.

Round up some fired cases and feed them through the gun and watch the election stroke, I think you will find that if the bolt is operated smartly rearward when ejecting. you will have less issues. Speed and inertia seem to ensure that most rimfire repeaters function their best.

The Tikka is also unique in that it only has one extractor hook on the left with only a raised guide rib machined on the left side to force the case against the extractor hook when the round . It is possible something could be amiss there (but it is unlikely).

If your rifle was a brand new gun. it still may need a bit of time for the bolt travel and parts to smooth out a bit so it runs 100 % all the time.

One thing is for sure, you got a LOT better gun in that Tikka than that Christensen you sent down the road.

Last edited by jk16; 06/19/21.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I wish you luck buddy. I've been holding out on the Tikka T1x, but have not bought one based on others failures. Hopefully Tikka/Beretta gets the bugs worked out of the sobs. I may be buying one, if they can get them to work right. Youtube has many many videos on T1x failures. Guys here will get pizzed as hell and never admit such things, but it is reality. In my competitions, I will only use a rifle that functions 100%, 100% of the time. Tikka doesn't do it, as of yet.. Oh, by the way, you aren't the only one with Christensen Arms failures. A new member at my club brought a new Christensen Arms 22LR today and it didn't bode well. Guys think they can just go out and buy a $1,000 rifle and $1,000 scope and be competitive. Oh boy do they get educated... Ha

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
I wish you luck buddy. I've been holding out on the Tikka T1x, but have not bought one based on others failures. Hopefully Tikka/Beretta gets the bugs worked out of the sobs. I may be buying one, if they can get them to work right. Youtube has many many videos on T1x failures.

BSA -can you post any direct links to those videos showing Tikka T1X failures ?

I sure could not find any on Youtube showing the issue the OP outlined. I just did a search for it based on your post. I would honestly like to watch them.

Before I bought my rifle last year I watched (and read) many user reviews on the gun and sure did not see any consistent mechanical failures with the design.

Early on there were some mag feeding issues mostly due to people not paying attention to how they were loading rounds in the 22LR magazines but those seem to have disappeared quickly by the end of 2019.

My Tikka feeds well enough that it will feed an EMPTY 22LR casing from the magazine. VERY few box magazine fed rimfire bolt gun designs out there will do that.

Last edited by jk16; 06/20/21.
B
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
B
JK, does your tikka extract and eject well? I hope I can get mine to. It looks like it's an accurate rifle but I intend to use it hunting small game and hope I can get the reliability worked out.

I just Googled it quickly and it looks like several others have had issues with their T1x not ejecting well. I didn't find a good description of the cause or cure but I didn't spent much time looking online yet. I'll watch it more closely next time I shoot it. I was in a hurry to sight it in and see what ammo it liked the first time out.

Bb

IC B2

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by Burleyboy
JK, does your tikka extract and eject well? I hope I can get mine to. It looks like it's an accurate rifle but I intend to use it hunting small game and hope I can get the reliability worked out.

Bb

Yes- mine ejects and extracts just fine.

C
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
C
I have had no issues with mine ejecting with over 600 rounds thru it, I did see on Snipers Hide a post by a fellow who knows how to correct ejection issues by slightly bending the spring. They are amazing rifles mine is way more accurate than a 500 dollar rifle should be. If you need reduced pull trigger springs I have those available.

Heres some groups fired with el cheapo TAC 22 ammo, 50 yards off a bipod, 24x scope after warm up and sight in, bottom 5 groups measure .305"

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
OP - contact Tikka customer service, I have read of a couple of others who had issues with the ejection and Tikka sent them a new magazine holder assembly to replace the one in the rifle (the wire ejector is integral with the magazine holder).

drover

223 Rem, my favorite cartridge - you can't argue with truckloads of dead PD's and gophers.

24hourcampfire.com - The site where there is a problem for every solution.

G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
I have had no problems with my T1X ejecting spent cases when normally operating the bolt.
I haven’t even had to operate it ‘smartly’ to avoid problems.
When moving it back slowly while observing the target I just shot I have had a few empty cases simply lay on top of the next loaded cartridge in the magazine below.

I have had no issues with ejecting the spent cases when normally cycling the bolt.

K
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
K
I am enjoying my Tikka 22 rimfire. I have replaced the stock with a Bravo KRG chassis and added a bipod rail and clamp. I suggest ordering the replacement trigger spring. With the new spring the trigger can adjusted down close to a pound.

IC B3

B
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by drover
OP - contact Tikka customer service, I have read of a couple of others who had issues with the ejection and Tikka sent them a new magazine holder assembly to replace the one in the rifle (the wire ejector is integral with the magazine holder).

drover

Thanks, I'll give them a call and see what they. That'll be good if they can just send me a part.

Bb

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

652 members (10gaugemag, 160user, 10ring1, 1badf350, 007FJ, 1936M71, 63 invisible), 3,211 guests, and 1,346 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,372
Posts18,469,290
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.