-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Tying the front legs like that and leaving over night to freeze allowed one person to skid the deer out with a rope or strap around the neck. Helps when there is snow on the ground.

GB1

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
That first muley is a dandy!!!
Fun to browse the pics.

Bruce
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by TomA
Tying the front legs like that and leaving over night to freeze allowed one person to skid the deer out with a rope or strap around the neck. Helps when there is snow on the ground.

Ole and Sven were out one fall deer hunting. Ole shot a nice 8 point deer, so the two of them were standing over the deer contemplating how to get the deer to their pickup. Ole finally told Sven, "You go to dat pickup and get dat rope in the back and we'll just drag it out". So Sven ambled through the brush and grass to the pickup, grabbed the rope and ambled back to Ole and the deer.

Ole grabbed the rope and tied one end to the deer's tail and proclaimed, "OK Sven, lets both pull and it vell be easy". So they both grabbed the rope, pulled, and the rope slipped off the tail. Ole said "I'd better tie a better knot". So the rope was retied to the tail, and they both pulled. Again the rope slipped off of the tail. Sven said, "You'd better let me tie it on, you's never been good at tying things". So Sven with gritted determination tied the best knot he could-on the tail. "OK Ole--now lets pull dis deer outa here'. Well the rope slipped off the tail again. Sven got mad and proclaimed "OK, dis time I'm gonna tie a knot that vill vork"! Sven retied the rope to the tail while Ole stood watchin and said "I dunno Sven if it'll work even dis time". They both grabbed the rope and with grit and all the determination they could muster pulled only to have the rope slip off the tail again.

There was another hunter standing a short distance away watching all the goin's on, shaking his head. Finally not being able to take it anymore, he walked over to Ole and Sven who were standing over the deer scratching their heads, muttering. "Hey guys" the hunter proclaimed, "I've been watching your efforts and thought maybe I could give ya a little advice". "Ya sure can" proclaimed Ole, "We just can't seen to get the rope to stay on dis deer so's we can drag it to our truck over dare." The hunter looked to where Ole was pointing, which was due south of the rear of the deer. The hunter then advised, "Well why don't you boys tie the rope onto the rack and pull it over to your truck, it won't slip off like when you tie to the tail"? Sven stared at the hunter and proclaimed with all seriousness-"Well ya, if our truck was that way, I'd be fine, but our truck is towards the back end of the deer"!!!!!!!!! grin crazy

RAS Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
That very first picture is a MONSTER buck.

"...aspire to live quietly, and to mind your own affairs, and to work with your hands, as we instructed you, so that you may walk properly before outsiders and be dependent on no one." - Paul to the church in Thessalonica.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
These two young women had a Savage day and got dressed up to have their picture taken. They a descendants if the original homesteaders of our area. The Williams homestead was about a mile from where I set. Because of the high button shoes I’m guessing the picture was taken around 1910 or so. Since they didn’t have cell phones they found other ways to entertain themselves.

Poor picture but can any of you sharp eyed collectors can tell if these are 1895 or 1899 models?
Doc
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." Thomas Jefferson, 1776
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
That is fantastic!

What part of Oregon?

My mom was born and raised on the coast.

Calhoun Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Based on the side panels and forearms, they appear to both be 1899’s. Perchbelly stocks place the rifles between 1904’ish and 1917.

The Savage 99 Pocket Reference”.
All models and variations of 1895’s, 1899’s and 99’s covered.
Also dates, checkering, engraving.. Find at www.savagelevers.com
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by Lightfoot
That is fantastic!

What part of Oregon?

My mom was born and raised on the coast.

Monroe area, South of Corvallis. My great, great grandfather also homesteader here around 1850.
Doc

"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." Thomas Jefferson, 1776
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Couple of fine lookin hounds there...

"You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass"
~Admiral Yamamoto~

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty. ~Thomas Jefferson~
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

555 members (16penny, 007FJ, 02bfishn, 160user, 10gaugeman, 16gage, 63 invisible), 2,493 guests, and 1,302 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,435
Posts18,470,821
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.