Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
L
LFC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
I have read Henry Davis personal hunting diary...very little in there about turkeys he killed the ones I recall he shot out of trees. The stories were mostly about deer he shot with blue whistlers....not sure but I figure it was a local name for buck shot.

After reading his personal hunting diary I looked at Henry Davis as more of a rich kid, lawyer, writer that wrote a book on turkey hunting.

The better turkey book "The Wild Turkey and Its Hunting" by Edward Avery McIlhenny, Charles L. Jordan. It was written 30 or 40 years prior to the Davis book not much doubt Davis leaned heavily on the Mcllhenny/Charles Jordan book for his information..

Henry Davis authored another Samworth book better than his turkey book it's titled "Hunting with a .22" great book and talks about and pictures some of his custom .22s.

A story that comes to mind is a Sunday afternoon ride that yielded 60+ hawks he shot...I recall it was 67 or 69 hawks shot out of his vehicle.

Henry Davis killed more hawks than DTT.

Last edited by LFC; 06/27/21.
GB1

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
I think you might have another author.. He did hunt deer but not seriously from what he said in the turkey book..

Molon Labe
W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
On second thought, he did a lot of varmint shooting with the .22 hornet.. No doubt he was a wealthy man.. His discussion of shotguns for turkey indicated that...

Molon Labe
L
LFC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Like I said I read Henry Davis's personal hunting diary....not very many Turkey kills in his diary.

To qualify the witness...

l also called and killed a Turkey with Henry Davis's personal hunting call...the man that owned the call and the diary paid $55,000.00 dollars for them both. He handed me the call and said "take it out and kill a turkey with it".
He also sent me a copy of Henry Davis's hunting diary.

I've studied Davis for 30+ years and read his book many times....not much you're going to tell me about Davis.

Several years ago before Art Carter of Sporting Classics magazine died I had a talk with him about guys that write hunting articles....what I took away from our talk was you dont have to be able to walk the walk to write about the walk....to quote him when I mentioned one well known turkey author...."he's a good writer"

Kinda like finding out there is no Santa Claus.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Couple of fall hunts in Wyoming I used a Win 43 in the 22 hornet. Thought it was a perfect set-up.

IC B2

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
.36cal flintlock longrifle is pretty sporty.Could probably use my .54 with a light load.

" It ain't dead.As long as there's one cowboy taking care of one cow,it ain't dead ! "
Monte Walsh
W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
I can see no one is telling you much. Good day..

Molon Labe
V
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
V
Originally Posted by WyoCoyoteHunter
I can see no one is telling you much. Good day..

Thats right....lmao!....Hb

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by LFC

l also called and killed a Turkey with Henry Davis's personal hunting call...the man that owned the call and the diary paid $55,000.00 dollars for them both. He handed me the call and said "take it out and kill a turkey with it".
He also sent me a copy of Henry Davis's hunting diary.

I do believe I've had occasion to talk to this gentleman. He is a TREASURE to students of the sport !!!!

Wollen nicht krank dein feind. Planen es.
L
LFC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Not sure what you mean ?

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by LFC
Not sure what you mean ?

I believe I have spoken to the gentleman who owns/owned the Henry Davis call.

L
LFC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
The man that owned it when I hunted with it was Bill Jones.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My bad, then. I was thinking it was another fellow from Charlotte. Mr. Bill Jones must be an outstanding individual as well. Ain't just everybody would let you hunt with a call that valuable.

L
LFC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
The fellow fron Charlotte bought the call from Jones

P
Campfire Tracker
Online Happy
Campfire Tracker
P
I have killed more Turkeys with a Remington 722 in .244 Remington than any other rifle. It’s not that I set out to use it but it just seemed to be in my hands when I saw Turkeys

Guns don't kill people, it's mostly the bullets
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by LFC
The fellow fron Charlotte bought the call from Jones

10-4

Awesome deal that you got to hunt with it !!!!

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Turkey hunting is about calling them in, getting them close. Shotgun is the way to go.

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
HB, says who..??? I don't like someone telling me how to hunt or what to use.. Just because you like something doesn't mean I have to.. These pricks from the Wild Turkey
Fed// seem to think they are God and their way is the only way.. I can tell you something, call a gobbler in to say 50 yards and TRY and get it with a rifle.. Plus if it is legal , still hunting is far more difficult than calling.. I get sick and tired of hearing how difficult it is to kill a turkey with a shotgun.. It is far easier than with a rifle...

Last edited by WyoCoyoteHunter; 07/06/21.

Molon Labe
L
LFC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
That's true

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by WyoCoyoteHunter
HB, says who..??? I don't like someone telling me how to hunt or what to use.. Just because you like something doesn't mean I have to.. These pricks from the Wild Turkey
Fed// seem to think they are God and their way is the only way.. I can tell you something, call a gobbler in to say 50 yards and TRY and get it with a rifle.. Plus if it is legal , still hunting is far more difficult than calling.. I get sick and tired of hearing how difficult it is to kill a turkey with a shotgun.. It is far easier than with a rifle...

Your point is very valid and well-taken. However............

To a man, ALL the guys (except one) I know who use(d) rifles to hunt turkeys............ set up, overlooking a field or a big wooded hillside and just jacked them as they fed, ala shooting a groundhog. Only thing involved there is the same skill it takes to shoot the groundhog and it seems a bit disrespectful to the turkey. But if that's what gives those guys a sense of accomplishment, then whatever. The OTHER guy used a .22LR to roost shoot his birds.

I just ain't a fan.

Last edited by Yoder409; 07/07/21.

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

569 members (10gaugeman, 1lessdog, 1minute, 160user, 10gaugemag, 1badf350, 53 invisible), 2,507 guests, and 1,325 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,474
Posts18,471,489
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.