Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by downwindtracker2
Here in BC we are losing towns, shutting down main highways and the news media is very ho-hum about it. I guess with climate change, it's the new normal.

You forgot COVID and Systematic Racism to cover all the liberal talking points.

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
How do we know that some towel head isn’t doing all this ? Some food for thought!!

Well we're Green and we're Gold, and we play better when it's cold. All us Cheese heads have our favorite superstar. We love Brett Favre.
673 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
The approach to fire fighting has taken a new turn since I was first involved 40+ years ago. The man used to go into the bar and recruit the willing and the unwilling to go to work. I once saw two Americans living the dream, hitch hiking across Canada get picked up and taken straight to camp, I was there when they got out from the canopy of the truck, they were pizzed.

As stated earlier....they don't try to put these fires out, just manage them and steer them away from structures.
Trouble is the dumbasses who run the forest service is all woke. Loggers with equipment sit idle, hundreds of trained hand fallers who spent a lifetime of steep slope falling sit idle, meanwhile fallers from the Prairie's are working.

Nothing to see here.

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
It is becoming difficult to recall a summer where the trench wasn't filled with smoke. GD

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Here in BC we are losing towns, shutting down main highways and the news media is very ho-hum about it. I guess with climate change, it's the new normal.

downwindtracker2:
Top of the morning to you sir, I hope it's a tad less smoky in your part of the world and all within it are well.

We're pretty much ground zero here for what they started calling the McLean Creek fire, but have now changed it to the Thomas Creek Fire.

It was human caused, but beyond that I can't say for sure how. It started just off the Thomas Ranch property and swept east first, then north and south.

It's now burned south far enough that it's into the same area burned in '03 for the 9000 hectare Vaseux Fire and it being 37° with a stiff wind makes it sporty for sure.

If anyone is so inclined, prayers for the folks manning the fire lines and equipment would be a good thing. Good thoughts would work too, but perhaps sage smoke should be avoided at this juncture. wink

All the best to you all downwind.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

IC B2

673 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Keep us posted Dwayne.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
673:
Good morning to you my friend, I hope you're all well as can be what with all the goings on going on, you know?

We're good so far, but for the first time in our 28 years on the place am now going to look at building a sprinkler system for the roof of the house and one for the garage as well.

Was talking to a firefighter friend and he said it was cheap insurance, not 100% of course as if the power goes out there's no water pressure, but he's seen them work reasonably well protecting houses situated like ours is.

We'll now have to see if any components are available whatsoever anymore as there's not much of - well much - around anymore somehow.

It's going to be a really, really big fire before it's done is my prediction. It's going into a patchwork of clear cuts and Lodge Pole shin tangle jungles up there and might go half way to Highway 33 before it runs itself out.

So far the Good Lord has blessed us with no winds from the east blowing west and honestly that's what's saved all of the buildings and structures on the first and perhaps second day too. They're working the bottom end with some heavy equipment now, but a stiff east wind would drop embers all over in folks' yards.

Some of the people don't clean the Ponderosa Pine needles off of their roofs so that'd be sporty real quick.

That's all for now sir, stay well and keep cool if you're able to.

Dwayne

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Dwayne, at the best of times your area is dry, now it's scary .

Under the old Forestry Act anyone or thing, like cats or planes, could be press ganged into fighting forest fires.

You can hunt longer with wind at your back
673 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Very concerning tonight are the strong winds fanning some big azz fires. Find out in the morning I guess.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
673:
Good morning to you sir, I hope despite all the goings on around us you're all more than less well.

Yesterday afternoon at about 4:30 the sky got strangely dark here, like it was overcast, but of course it wasn't.

My wife and our local daughter let me know that a fire had started north of Osoyoos and it blew right up the side of the mountain in no time.

We went down to the old Fairview town site, but couldn't really tell much of where it was exactly located. Here's a link to the fire.

https://www.castanet.net/news/Penti...ed-photos-of-the-Inkameep-Creek-wildfire

It was surreal however that the sun was a deep orange/red and our motion lights came on when we drove into the yard shortly after 7:00PM, which is a couple hours early for this time of year.

This has been an interesting year for sure, hasn't it?

All the best to you all up north my friend.

Dwayne

IC B3

673 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Very little info coming from the media but....some folks out Douglas lk, Westwold are having a real hard time with that one, I can only imagine with the winds, terrain, bug killed timber, resources spread thin. I have info that every piece of equipment from the local is out there, access is just not there, steep and rocky.

Mabel lk too has some real tough conditions too. One day, there is going to be a fire that rips up the middle of this Province and there will be FA they can do but run.

Twice during my logging career I have seen people protesting us logging dead and diseased timber, protesting even with death threats and booby traps LOL. Both times the next year massive forest fires started where we were logging, burning 300 homes, and in the other about 30 homes were lost. It shows where the logic is and a perfect example of the tail wagging the dog.

After the massive fires we have had previously, then the studies and recommendations...basically FA has been done to build permanent guards on the edge of towns and vulnerable community's. One big wind could push any of these fires into a running for your life scenario.

673 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Horgan and his gang of commie's has declared a state of emergency for the Province, not sure what it means but.....we have a forecast of strong winds for the next several days. Too bad the media didn't ask some of the locals what they think, interesting they ask people who don't live, or work in the affected area's.

W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
Good luck with it men. Stay safe.

Last edited by wabigoon; 07/20/21.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 673
Horgan and his gang of commie's has declared a state of emergency for the Province, not sure what it means but.....we have a forecast of strong winds for the next several days. Too bad the media didn't ask some of the locals what they think, interesting they ask people who don't live, or work in the affected area's.

If you been in BC for any length of time, you have heard the stories of the Forest Service emptying the beer parlour and press ganging them to fight fire. They were there until it was out. They now have to declare a state of emergency. And if I was you, I would stay out of bars considering where you live. Good luck, BTW

You can hunt longer with wind at your back
673 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Anyways.....
Couldn't help notice another fire erupt in Sicamous, fugged everything up............People sure seem to have a problem with not starting fires.
Osoyoos has a big azz fire....not sure how animals have put up with humans for so long. No wonder Grizzlies try and kill everyone they see.

673 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 673

If you been in BC for any length of time, you have heard the stories of the Forest Service emptying the beer parlour and press ganging them to fight fire. They were there until it was out. They now have to declare a state of emergency. And if I was you, I would stay out of bars considering where you live. Good luck, BTW

I refer to the recruiting practice several posts up.
I am all for going and rounding up volunteers, I am just the guy for the job too. I would go down to the coast and go into every starbucks, smack the latte out of the hand of the commie freak with the nose ring and load them on the train for the interior.
Then they can see that there is life outside of their selfish little bubble and then they can see where we work, live and recreate....and we have for years. They will also see why we like guns and what they are for.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Originally Posted by BC30cal
...We're good so far, but for the first time in our 28 years on the place am now going to look at building a sprinkler system for the roof of the house and one for the garage as well.

Was talking to a firefighter friend and he said it was cheap insurance, not 100% of course as if the power goes out there's no water pressure, but he's seen them work reasonably well protecting houses situated like ours is.

We'll now have to see if any components are available whatsoever anymore as there's not much of - well much - around anymore somehow. ...

I was thinking of you when reading of the fire around Okanagan Falls. Hope you're still "intact."

As regards roofotop sprinkler systems, this website has a ot of good information: http://www.onestopfire.com/sprinklers.htm
If you lurk on Canadian Gunnutz, there is an extensive thread on "Fire season is on us again" and around page 7 there is some discussion and some good pictures, about rooftop aprinkler systems. If you have a good supply of water, you can really hose down the area around the house. As regards power, a generator, if you have an electric pump, or a gas trash pump will keep you in business.

After the last bad set of wildfires in 2017 I put roofop sprinklers on my house- one on the end of each gable, and one down on the well house. I have a 2" gas pump which will provide about 50 psi to feed the three Rainbird 1" impact sprinklers. I don't have a lake or convenient stream but I do have two underground water tanks (which I fill from the drains from my metal roof via a diverter) with about 3,000 imperial gallons total. This fall I plan on pumping them out via the gas pump to see how long I can water the area, but I estimate about 3 1/2 hours, which would barely be anough, I suppose. We aren't really in danger of a wildfire down here in Mission in the Fraser Valley (I HOPE) but if there were indications that this might be a possibility with the hotter summers, I could add another 2500 gallon above-ground tank and fill it via the pump/tanks in the fall and spring.

Given the conditions we seem to be facing in the summers now, investing in a good fire suppression system would seem to be money well spent.

Canada: Everything from Eh to Zed.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
We've got 166 active bush fires in NWO !

They are evacuating lots of northern communities & Dryden airport is being used as the hub, for these evacuees.

Need rain desperately, hopefully without lightening !

Stay safe folks.

Paul.

"Kids who grow up hunting, fishing & trapping, do not mug little old Ladies"
W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
Paul, a friend in Wabigoon tells me when the wind is out of the west. you can not see all that far.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by New_2_99s
We've got 166 active bush fires in NWO !

They are evacuating lots of northern communities & Dryden airport is being used as the hub, for these evacuees.

Need rain desperately, hopefully without lightening !

Stay safe folks.

I was looking at the map yesterday. Good heavens !! Several fires right in the area (north of Ignace) where we go wilderness camping/fishing. Prayers for NWO. Prayers for rain and safety.

Wollen nicht krank dein feind. Planen es.
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

121 members (300_savage, 41rem, 808outdoors, 10gaugemag, 16 invisible), 1,765 guests, and 973 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,387
Posts18,469,716
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.