Nothing even close to it for good gin.

B
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by rem141r
how much $$ is that?

i love gin in the summer. its my go-to but i am not too picky. i get whatever the liquor store has on sale usually. seagrams is good and there is a PA distillery called Faber that is good. i usually mix with tonic but lately i been mixing with ginger ale. if you haven't tried it, you should. i may lose the tonic from now on. something about gin agrees with me and i don't get a sick hangover from it. if i drink a quart i will just feel numb the next day, unlike brown liquor, which sickens me. half a quart of gin and i am fine and dandy. but in the summer it is waaaay too easy to start drinking it early on a hot saturday afternoon and the next thing you know the bottle is empty and i'm talking like joe biden.

It was about $35 for a 750ml here.

I'm the same way with gin. I can drink it by the gallon with minimal side effects.

MAGA
B
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
Due to this thread, I had to crack open that Tanqueray Rangpur Lime. Made a Gimlet...

2 oz gin
Juice of 1/2 lime
1/4 oz simple syrup
over ice in a chilled glass

Oh...my. This is a dangerously smooth and delicious drink.

Seen that on the shelf but haven't had it. Isn't it really orangey?

Originally Posted by NDsnowman
Monky 47:

https://monkey47.com/

Nothing even close to it for good gin.

I've been close to grabbing a bottle of that many times, but haven't yet.

MAGA
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I have read most of Ruark's books but I don't recall reading what kind of Gin he preferred, except maybe just plenty of it !

And with the Boodles, those little cans of Donald Duck brand, unsweetened grapefruit juice is, what peanut butter is to jelly !

Writing here is Prohibited by the authorities.
IC B2

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
yes, gin and grapefruit is a very good drink. when we do our beach vacations, i will usually start my day off with a few of those if i know i won't need to drive. then head down to the beach with a cooler in hand full of gin, tonic, limes and ice. mmm, mmm.

My diploma is a DD214
B
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
B
I recently discovered Bloody Mary's made with gin.

Been missing out on the best breakfast all my life till now.

MAGA
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by Borchardt
Originally Posted by BillyGoatGruff
Originally Posted by Borchardt
Boodle’s

Couldn't remember if I'd had that before, picked up a handle of it to try too.

Travis McGee's choice.

No, Travis McGee preferred Plymouth Gin.

Mathew 22: 37-39

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by lvmiker
Nappy Head or Beefeater. Fever Tree tonic makes the drink for me.

mike r

Yeah the fancy tonic water absolutely makes a better drink. Had it in Canadia 7-8 years ago, didn't know there was anything besides Schweppes/Canada Dry. smile. But I'm too cheap a bastard to get it very often.

Gotta have good tonic water...made with cane sugar. That schitt made with high fructose corn syrup is disgusting.

Mathew 22: 37-39

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
Due to this thread, I had to crack open that Tanqueray Rangpur Lime. Made a Gimlet...

2 oz gin
Juice of 1/2 lime
1/4 oz simple syrup
over ice in a chilled glass

Oh...my. This is a dangerously smooth and delicious drink.

You're making my mouth water.

Last edited by mathman; 07/01/21.
IC B3

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Haven’t had a lot of fun but would like to try. Was just about to ask for a recipe and Rocky posted his. Sounds delightful

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Valsdad
Originally Posted by Valsdad
Yeah, , that's a normal first impression for some.

But, it did seem to work on hot days.

I can still remember the first time I ever had one. Was 19, working in Jellystone. The trail crew guys were cool as hell, and we'd hang out in the bar and they'd buy my drinks for me. I didn't pick what, just paid and they got me one of whatever they were drinking. I have been a fan ever since.

My folks were not big drinkers. Kept a few bottles in the cupboard over the fridge, stuff that was around for after Christmas and Turkeyday dinner. Usually partial bottles of Kahlua, Beam, some sort of vodka, cheap (Cutty Sark) scotch , that kind of thing.

in order to avoid getting caught, and watering down the scotch and bourbon bottles, I tried the gin one day after school. Beefeater or Gordon's I think. Mixed 50/50 with OJ, I didn't find it too objectionable!

Makes me think of when I was 15 or 16. Mom and Dad regularly had friends over on a Friday night to play the card game of gin...maybe spades, hearts, I dunno...and they would make and drink daquiris. I had learned it only took a couple of healthy swigs of rum to make one feel lighthearted, or whatever it was. Buzzed, maybe? One particular weekend the Baccardi was so mild they couldn't believe it. You-know-who could tell no lie, and I was BUSTED.

Don't be the darkness.

America will perish while those who should be standing guard are satisfying their lusts.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by cra1948
Nappy Head or Beefeater. Fever Tree tonic makes the drink for me.

mike r

Yeah the fancy tonic water absolutely makes a better drink. Had it in Canadia 7-8 years ago, didn't know there was anything besides Schweppes/Canada Dry. smile. But I'm too cheap a bastard to get it very often.

Gotta have good tonic water...made with cane sugar. That schitt made with high fructose corn syrup is disgusting.

Of the “cheap” tonics, I like Schwepps the best, but they’re often out of it. Generic tonic is really piss.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
But, back to gin: I always thought straight gin tastes like celery. Weird, huh?

I do like a gin & tonic in the summer---but it's gotta have lime in it. I have found that high quality lime oil (Young Living) works exceedingly well to supply the lime flavor to a G&T---every bit as good as fresh limes.

Tanqueray has always been my game. It has a "roughness" I like.

Don't be the darkness.

America will perish while those who should be standing guard are satisfying their lusts.

L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
OK this is getting a little swishy. Hints, notes, botanicals, JFC! sounds like a bunch of pinky hoisting wine twinkies discussing wokeness at the French Laundry w/ gavin.

A handle of nappy head, Schweppes sugar free tonic and fresh limes. Fill a 16 beer glass w/ ice+a double shot of gin, top w/ tonic , squeeze in a 1/4 lime. Repeat as needed.

This post was completed while enjoying my 2nd proving that my formula makes you smart and good looking w/out making you spel badd.

mike r

Don't wish it were easier
Wish you were better

Stab them in the taint, you can't put a tourniquet on that.
Craig Douglas ECQC
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
A good G&T needs good gin but perhaps more importantly a good tonic. Real quinine is the key. If I may, I would like to reccommend Fever tree or if you are a roll your own type, Jack Rudy's.

I live in mosquito county (not this year so far) but have not got malaria yet.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Never could acquire a taste for Gin, tastes like a Pine bough. I do like scotch however and many can either love or hate that.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
OK this is getting a little swishy. Hints, notes, botanicals, JFC! sounds like a bunch of pinky hoisting wine twinkies discussing wokeness at the French Laundry w/ gavin.

A handle of nappy head, Schweppes sugar free tonic and fresh limes. Fill a 16 beer glass w/ ice+a double shot of gin, top w/ tonic , squeeze in a 1/4 lime. Repeat as needed.

This post was completed while enjoying my 2nd proving that my formula makes you smart and good looking w/out making you spel badd.

mike r

LOL.

I like the "repeat as needed" line.

Don't be the darkness.

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
yeah, I remember you posting you like beefeater. I like that one as well. I prefer a plain, less botanical gin, most of the small distillery craft gins I've tried I really don't like. Like you're drinking the whole damned flower patch.

Exactly.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
O
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
O
Recently got my introduction to gin with a bottle of Old Raj, Saffron infused. Hard to know how it rates against other brands, being my first try with gin. Any opinions on this brand?

I was advised to try Plymouth, Navy Strength, for my next entry.

Fever Tree Tonic seems to be quite popular.

U.S. government was established to represent citizens, NOT TO RULE OVER THEM.
Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

550 members (1beaver_shooter, 160user, 1Longbow, 10gaugeman, 17CalFan, 1234, 56 invisible), 3,210 guests, and 1,213 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,663
Posts18,534,077
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.