Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
S
steve1 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
As "The Rev" pointed out (Moccasin Joe is "The Rev."),he expected me to post in detail before this.Unfortunately,I came home to an unexpected amount of mess from some renovation done to my house while we were away,and some stomach problems on my first full day home.
This will not be as organized as I had originally hoped as i have not had the opportunity to consult tha almost ninety pages of notes in my journal.Suffice it to say that we had more action packed into a seven day buffalo hunt than we could have imagined possible going in.
We hunted out of a traditional tented camp in area L1 of The Selous (pronounced like saloon without the n )in Tanzania.To say that this was the culmination of a lifetime dream is to trivialize the experience.
The terrain was not what either of us expected.Only a small part of it was truly savannah like in appearence.It is a series of fairly high ridges which gradually slope away into a series of small hilly valleys,hundreds of them.There is very little flat walking.One is forever either walking up or down,in combination with slanting off to one side or the other.The soil is always either fine and dusty or,alternatively ,ash from the constant brush fires set by the game scouts.These fires rarely burn more than 1000 sq. feet or so,but within ten days to two weeks result in lush new green grass for the game.The fires also help to control the tse tse and ticks.
The ridges are heavilly wooded.The slopes are covered in elephant grass,with trees (mostly saplings,but many fairly large as well) and small patches of brush anywhere from 10-15 feet,to 30 yards or so apart in irregular patterns.There are vgirtually no rocks on the surface anywhere you look.
There are no real roads per se.There are trails created by the repeated passing of the safari trucks.The method is to ride the trails ,starting at first light,looking for tracks,which are investigated by the tracker(s) and PH.When promissing tracks are found everybody disembarques,and the actual hunt begins.Hunting by foot can last anywhere from a few hundred yards to many miles,depending on the situation.
The Rev. and I were sharing a seven day buffalo and plains game license.Together we were licensed for 2 buffalo,2 wildebeest,1 hartebeest,1 impala,1 zebra,1 warthog.I only had interest in,and room in my wallet for the buff.The Rev. wanted a buff,would decide later to take an impala.He also seriously stalked a small herd of wildebeest,but couldn't find one to either his or Charlie's (PH Muhammed Charles Horsely) liking.
On trhe first morning we got our first chance at buff.Followed three Dugga Boys for several hundred yards.The Rev. was setting up for a shot at about 30 yds.when the breeze changed.Those three bulls lit out of there on full afterburner.Lesson # 1 ,buff can really move when they want to.Lesson #2 ,don't hesitate.When the PH says "shoot,shoot now" it's time to shoot,not converse.
Charlie and the tracker decided that we were not likely to get another chance at that group that day.We trudged back to the truck (it was HOT)and started over.After a cold lunch in the shade,we swtarted out again.
A second set of tracks was deemed worthy and we struck out afoot again.By charlie's estimate,we came within range after about three kilometers.The shot was at the largest of three bulls,uphill at a lasered (afterwards) 81 yards.The Rev. set up,but didn't feel he had a shot he was confident in.Simultaneously,Charlie hoarsly whispered those words "shoot,shoot now." and the bull lifted his head.The Rev.hot him just above and slightly center of his right eye.Needless to say,he never took another step.They tried to get me in position for a shot on one of the other bulls,but after a mpments hesitation while they registered what was going on,they both swapped ends and left the county.
His buff was measured at just a hair short of 41",Charlie estimated 2200 lbs.He was BIG.He was down on the spot,but seemed to be trying to roll.The rev. gave him a second 450 gr. TSX for insurance.
We had been out about 40 minutes on the second morning when we received an emergency call from the second PH in camp.He and his client were on a 21 day safari that included buff,elephant,hippo,croc,leopard and lion.They had just shot a nice mained lion.The lionesses had objected strongly.One large female had rushed them three times,and two more had been steadilly moving closer through the high grass.We were the cavalry.
When we arrived,they put their truck between the dead cat and the two skulking females.The Ph and the sport ready at port arms.Our truck cut off the aggressive lioness at about twenty yards on the other side,charlie holding his rifle at the ready.
The trackers and skinners from both thucks jumped our and loaded Simba in their truck.Everybody remounted and we all made a rapid stategic retreat.The lionesses voiced their displeasure ,but did not further engage.It was stimulating.
We returned to camp.There was an elaborate ceremony by the staff.Had lunch,and by and by we resumed our own endeavor.
We had seperate 2-3 hour chases that afternoon and the next day,but without success.We did encounter a couple of elephants,at one point at about 75 yards or so.They got about 150 yds past us before they realized we were there.It has to be experienced to believe how quickly and how quietly they can move,even while negotiating through the trees.
On the fourth morning we locted two more Dugga Boys,or at least their tracks.Charlie was fairly confident he knew these bulls and their habits.If he was correct,one was fairly large.We circled the general area.They had gone into a specific valley,and had not come out.Charlie felt confident that they would pretty much stay put if undisturbed.He decided to hold them in reserve for the afternoon while we seached for other possibilities.
About twenty minutes later we discovered where a mall herd had VERY recently crossed the trail.Charlie and the tracker both felt that there were at least two,possibly three fair sized bulls in this group.Thye race was on.
We tracked them for a little over three kilometers and were working our way up a long slope.Three warthogs kept moving about forty to fifty yards ahead of us,angling up the hill and constantly looking back.We could hear,but not see the herd through the elepphant grass.They were moving from our right to left at about 150 yards.I quickly realized that when the warthogs crested that hill still looking back,those buff would skedaddle,and that's exactly what happened.I watched them barrel through an opening inmy binoculars.It was an amazing sight.
They stayed high on the ridges and ran to the opposite slope of the valley.We moved as rapidly as possible to intercept.
When they finally stopped we had gone perhaps another btwo kilometers,they five or six.The shooting sticks were set uo.and Charlie checked with me to be sure we were looking at the same buff.He was pehaps 100 yds. away,slightly uphill.I couldn't see all of him at once.There was a window in the brush in front of his body that was perhaps 2'x2'.Charlie uttered the magic words and I fired.He went down,then bounced back up.I saw him run in a tight circle three or four times,then the entire herd exploded....running en mass,downhill,right at us.They weren't charging us per se,just running from the last echo of the shot.I've seen white tails do the same thing many times.
Nevertheless it was a sight that will never be difficult to recall.I'm sure Custer's men must have had a similar view at the Greasy Grass.They came over the lip of a Koronga (arroyo) dropped down into it,and up over the other side.We quickly looked for large trees to get behind.They came within perhaps 40 yds......stopped......turned around.....and rushed back to the stricken bull.They surrounded him,milled around for perhaps two minutes,then rapidly moved off to our left again,sticking to the ridges as they now headed back to where we had first encountered them.
Charlie and the tracker picked out the bull's tracks.He was running on the left side of the herd and struggling hard to keep up.He was hit hard,but we only found a little blood,and even I could tell it was not lung blood.I had hit him a little far back.
After about 1000 yds or so we encountered him again.He was now well behind the herd and looking back at perhaps 200 yds.Again screened by some brush and slightly up hill.Thyey set up the sticks and I fired again.I was pretty sure I hit just under him.At any rate I missed and he whirled and bounded after the herd.Charlie said that,based on the herd's behavior,and thye bull's,that this was the herd bull that we were after.
We tracked about another three thousand yards when,though the tracker was convinced that we were still on him,Charlie was not.
He decided that we would go back to the last place we knew we had seen himk and start all over again.
Since we were not tracking but moving in a staight line along the side of the ridge to specific point,we started to pass a small copse of trees from slightly above,though we had tracked slightly below.The Rev. and the game scout were several feet ahead,Charlie and I side by side , discussing what was going on,the tracker flanking a few yards uphill.
Suddenly The Rev. and game scout were shouting and pointing.We ran up to see the bull,pointing downhill at about 25 yds.Struggling to get his hind feet under him.His front half was already up.He had doubled back on us,but the small copse of trees had screened us from each other.The sticks went up and I quickly busted him in the chest.....then my heretofore ultra reliable rifle jammed.Charlie busted him twice in the hips,once with a solid,then a soft from his .460 wby. While the Rev. helped me clear my jam.The game scout was nowhere to be seen.
Each time,the bull struggled to his feet.My rifle cleared,I shot him twice more in the chest with my .458.He never did get fully to his feet.He had the heart and intention to charge,but he was just too sick to carry it out.My first shot had gone through and through,had taken out the liver and pancreas.Start to finish we had chased that bad boy through six foot high elephant grass for close to two hours.As the rev. said it,in the end it got western on us in a hurry.
He was measured at a little over 37" almost 72 SCI.Terry's bull measured almost 41" ,almost 78 SCI.My bull had nice deep symmetrical curls and a very nice boss.Terry's was wider and flatter.Charlie noted that the horns on my bull indicated that he had been fighting a lot recently.Whether to assert dominance or to ward off young challengers is anybody's guess.Charlie estimated his weight at about 1000 kilos.Didn't seem quite that large to me,but he's the PH.
We recovered all three TSXs and the softpoint fired at close range fully expanded under the hide on the offside.The TSX fired at long range and the solid were pass throughs.
On our remaining three days Terry made his stalk on the Wildebeest,but didn't shoot,and took a 22" impala.We came accross a Black Mamba on the road,andsaw moreephants,Hippos,some pretty damn big crocs,and every major species available,with the exception of leopard.
When the hunt ended,we left for the airstrip well before dawn the next morning.About fifteen minutes out from the strip,still O Dark Thirty,we encountered a very large lioness in the trail.Despite all manner of noise making,she refused to give way.We backed up perhaps thirty yards and she started advancing,slowly but steadilly and purposefully,while constantly looking into the bush to her left.We soon realized that there were two more equally large lionesses paralleling her at prhaps fifteen yards.
Charlie didn't have his rifle,he had a break before his next group and was flying out with us to visit his family in Arusha.The rev.'s and my rifle were in the rack,but cased and not loaded.Charlie took the game scout's rifle,it appeared to me to be a WWI Turkish Mauser converted to .458 Winchester,and fired a shot in the air,all three lions bounded back perhaps thirty feet or so,then resumed their determined approach.
Charlie struggled with the Mauser a bit,finally got it to eject,but the magazine spring was too weak to push the next cartridge up.
In the meantime,I had uncased my CZ550 and Terry had leaned back and grabbed some ammo out of his duffel.He was handing it to me and I was stuffing five into the magazine.I ran one into the chamber and handed the rifle to Charlie.He briefly leaned over to instruct the driver,then fired another shot in the air,all three cats bounded back perhaps fifteen feet,as they began to turn Charlie fired again sending them further back and the truck lurched forward.The cats turned again aswe were almost on them and Charlie fired again,the truck now accelorating among them.
They scattered as we blew through,then all three bounded back on the trail and briefly bounded after us,but quickly gave up as we continued to accelorate away.
When we reached the airstrip I realized that that was the first time I had seen or heard an airplane since we had landed almost nine full days previously.

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
How about some pics.

Life's too short to hunt with an ugly gun.
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
You would have been a lot better off to have just kept you mouth shut until you had some photos to post. Then just put 'em up and tell your story..........

AD

S
steve1 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Sorry boys,as I said,I've been a little preoccupied and not feeling well.Moccasin Joe has most of the pics.I'll probably get mine processed tomorrow,then get someone far more knowledgeable to help me post them.No need to get cranky.

U
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
U
insturction are on the other post. look foreward to seeing them.

IC B2

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Steve, thanks for the great story. It seems you had a very exciting time and one that will never be forgotten. I envy you a lot.

allen, what the hell is wrong with you? Where the hell are your manners? 5 yr olds are better behaved.

Thanks again Steve and I look forward to pictures. I'd be happy to post them for you if you get frustrated with photobucket or whatever.

Brent

Save an elk, shoot a cow.
M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
ok that didn't work

Last edited by MoccasinJoe1; 08/11/07.
M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
[img]http://i200.photobucket.com[/img]

Steve's bull
Well I'm trying

Last edited by MoccasinJoe1; 08/11/07.
U
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
U
below the picture in the text boxes is one labeled "URL" click it once. it'll report "Copied". then come here and right click then paste.

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M

IC B3

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Cool! You are getting close. I can't resist stepping in

[Linked Image]

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M

U
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
U
just beat me to it! al you need now are the [img] xxx [img]

on either side of the link and it should load automatically

U
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
U
very nice!

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Thanks Lefty, I really didn't want to post a picture of myself with the bull but after trying for an afternoon to get photobucket to work out here in the sticks with dial up that's the pic I got uploaded. So that's what's getting posted. MJ

U
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
U
do you want me to load it for you?

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Heck I'll get it.

[Linked Image]

Brent

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Both are great bulls. And it sounds like they were even better hunts! Congratulations.

I'd be happy to post more pictures for you if you want me to. You have my email in the PM reply to you.

Brent

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Thanks guys

S
steve1 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
The handsome fellow on the other side of The Rev.'s Buff is Muhammed Charles Horsely who provided everything we could have asked for and more.Right now he is under contract with Dingwalls Safaris.We both had our bulls in four days.He kept hunting just as hard as before to give us opportunities to see and photograph all the other species in the area.
I'm sure he could have done a sleepwalk and still collected his daily fees.The man is a professional and a gentleman of the first order.He has obvious concern for his clients,his company,and all the people who work in the camp.
We saw over twenty different species of big game in seven days.The only major animal he didn't get us up close and personal with was leopard.
He never failed to give as complete an answer as possible to every question,and believe me,there were tons of questions.He is intelligent,sophistocated,and has an excellent sense of humor (well he laughed at all my jokes ,anyway).He also has a stellar record on buffalo,elephant,and the big cats.
Aside from that,Gary Hopkins the other PH in camp and a partner in the company,credits Charlie with having saved his life and the lives of several others at no small risk to Charlie's own life,at a plane crash at the airstrip on June 30 of this yerar.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

285 members (257 mag, 1badf350, 160user, 260Remguy, 06hunter59, 257 roberts, 27 invisible), 2,038 guests, and 1,093 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,327
Posts18,526,535
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.