Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I don't hitch up anyone's trailer and I don't let anyone hitch mine up anymore. It's just a simple safety issue. if I'm pulling it I need tp be responsible for it. I did lose a 6 x 10 trailer with my bike in it once, I let someone help me hook up. The trailer ended up in a grass median. It just veered left and the median acted like a runaway truck lane. If I was on a section with a k-rail it would have been ugly. I take responsibility for that one.

Last edited by smarquez; 07/04/21.

Fight fire, save lives, laugh in the face of danger.

Stupid always finds a way.

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Remember earlier this summer - this pickup being held up by it's safety chains on a bridge in southern Idaho?

[Linked Image from s3.amazonaws.com]

That pic makes my [bleep] tighten up every time I see it.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
another hint: If you use this type of connector, be sure to use it so the turn nut is on top and it moves down when you fasten it, not up. I've seen the nuts vibrate down when driving leaving it open.
Oh, also be sure to carry a wrench to fit the nut. If it jambs and you can't turn it by hand, you might not be able to unhook.

[Linked Image from reesetowpower.com]

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
another hint: If you use this type of connector, be sure to use it so the turn nut is on top and it moves down when you fasten it, not up. I've seen the nuts vibrate down when driving leaving it open.
Oh, also be sure to carry a wrench to fit the nut. If it jambs and you can't turn it by hand, you might not be able to unhook.

[Linked Image from reesetowpower.com]

Easy pass for me personally.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
Originally Posted by jwp475

Most of the time the safety chains are too long and need to be adjusted

Just twist the chain until it's the right length to keep it off the ground and work properly.

Twisting the chains can be unsafe because it weakens them and possibly illegal, depending on the creeper cop that pulls you over.

Last edited by bobinpa; 07/04/21.

I sure could go for some $2.50/gal gas and a mean tweet!

NRA Benefactor member, disgruntled.
Life member: Firearms Owners Against Crime.
Life member: GOA
Member: RMEF

TRUMP 2020
IC B2

Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
It can't be much worse than this monstrosity that came out in the early 70's. Rain gutters weren't designed for that kind of weight.

[Linked Image from doityourselfrv.com]

It also applied to big trucks. This thing didn't last very long. Truckers refused to drive them and the unions demanded that no driver could be forced to drive it.

[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]

Is that a Renault?

I’ve seen the VW vid before.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Laclede Chain co. says to never twist them as it weakens them. OTOH, they suggest using zip ties if they're too long. Obviously, that won't hold to keep the tongue off the ground. It only keeps them from dragging.

― George Orwell

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
In 1989 i was driving piles in N.Y.C.,Friday before Memorial Day Weekend,my partner and i were in the hole spliceing pile,stick welding two piles together.The New York state inspector asked us to weld something for him on his car,so we drag the leads up and over,and he has some 1/4" steel plate strips,like 4" x 10" and a traliler hitch ball and wants us to weld up a trailer hitch to the car frame so he can tow his tent camper that weekend.We looked at each other like he was nuts.We thought it was a joke.We refused and told him to go to U-Haul and rent a hitch.Some people are just morons.

Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by Redneck
Originally Posted by kelbro
Dangit, forgot to hook up the safety chains.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Great googly-woogly!!! I see THAT on the road in front of me and I'm STOPPING until it's outta sight!

Originally Posted by greydog
I don't know but I think the average receiver hitch is good for around 1200 pounds of tongue weight and at least 7000 of trailer weight.
It ALL depends on the 'class' of that receiver..

Here's a site with some good info: https://hitchhousega.com/hitch-types/trailer-hitch-class-models/hitch-class/

Go to the LH side and click on the various 'trailer hitch' classes of hitches and it'll give you a good rundown on what to expect your particular truck can safely (and legally) haul...

Not me, Lee. I’d want that wreck-in-waiting to be way BEHIND me!

Good link too. Tks.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
I use Metollius steel locking carabiners for safety chain hookups. They are $12.00 each and are rated at 40kn breaking strength. Chains that drag cause wildfires, bungees cords are cheap and work fine.

mike r

Don't wish it were easier
Wish you were better

Stab them in the taint, you can't put a tourniquet on that.
Craig Douglas ECQC
IC B3

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
I do not like to admit that I screw up. I do not think that most of us do.
That Said
I have a Goose Neck trailer with a 20 foot IMT Crane mounted just behind the Neck.
I did a job up in the mountains about an hour to hour and a half from my place.
I had to disconnect the trailer from my truck and off load the components of a Equipment shelter I fab'ed up for installation down from the job site on the highway.
We could not get the Goose Neck up the hill to off load it.
At the end of the day I was spent and just wanted to get home. My Brain had shut down from the hard several days of work.
I had one of the helpers back me under my trailer and then I got out and hooked it up.
I drove that trailer down a very steep curvy road mountain road with no bumps thank God for that.
The next day when I went to disconnect the Goose Neck I seen where I hooked up the safety chains but i did not latch and lock the hitch. I floated on the truck all the way home.

I guess the 2000#s of tongue wt from that crane held it down on the ball in the back of the truck but any bouncy bounce could have been a real disaster for me and everyone on the road.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
"When a Texan thinks he'll take his chances,
Chances they will be taken."

Jerry Jeff Walker

Old guy, old guns.
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I was in a hurry, hooked my safety chains, but for got to latch the ball down. (crs). 10 foot trailer so no biggie but going down a hill to a stop sign, it bounced loose. Glad I didn't forget the chains!

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by lvmiker
I use Metollius steel locking carabiners for safety chain hookups. They are $12.00 each and are rated at 40kn breaking strength. Chains that drag cause wildfires, bungees cords are cheap and work fine.

mike r
If my conversion is right, that's about 8800lb. Each chain has to equal the trailer's weight so that's not enough for many large TT's.

― George Orwell

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
What could go wrong????

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
We were going hunting pulling a bumper pull 4 horse trailer. Some AH pulled the pin, safety chain saved our 4 mules, it was scary as hell with the load shifting left and right as the mules in the back tried to keep their balance with a shifting trailer.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by kelbro
Dangit, forgot to hook up the safety chains.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

anyone want to play rock, paper, science scissors for who has to sit bit ch or backseat bit ch?

-OMotS

"If memory serves fails me..."
Quote: ( unnamed) "been prtty deep in the cooler todaay "

Television and radio are most effective when people question little and think even less.
L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by lvmiker

mike r
If my conversion is right, that's about 8800lb. Each chain has to equal the trailer's weight so that's not enough for many large TT's.

Good math, mine was just a 5'x8' utility trailer, never carried more than 4k gross.

mike r

Don't wish it were easier
Wish you were better

Stab them in the taint, you can't put a tourniquet on that.
Craig Douglas ECQC
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I padlock the latch and always safety chain.

Unlike most people who haul lawnmowers/zero turns around here I have 2 tie downs on the mower, most just drive them on and raise the gate!!

Last edited by ready_on_the_right; 07/04/21.

God, Family, and Country.
NRA Endowment Member

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
I weld my own chains on, or at least make another pass on my trailers. I’ve seen a couple of safety chain welds break at work. We have a lot of jugheads at my place of employment

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

556 members (12344mag, 2500HD, 222Sako, 160user, 240NMC, 1lessdog, 65 invisible), 2,302 guests, and 1,252 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,291
Posts18,486,921
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.