Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I am going on my first guided Elk hunt in NW Colorado. The hunt is from October 22-26. I am unsure what kind of boots, hunt clothes to purchase. I already have a pair of Danner Elk Hunters in the 400gram weight. Should I buy a pair of Schnee's pac boots just in case?

Also, was thinking of getting Columbia wool jacket and pants, if you guys think it would be needed at that time of year.

Thanks

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I wear meindl Canadas myself unless it gets very cold,then I switch to a pair of schnee pac boots.As far as pants and jacket,I wear a layer of polypropylene,then layers of fleece as necessary for insulation,and a goretex shell to break the wind and keep me dry.By using layers,you can add or take off layers as the temperature changes.I also wear goretex gloves,and if gets very cold,a toque on my head.

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
I WON'T GO hunting anymore without my Schnee's plus a pair of extra liners, I have found that they are a godsend in early, cold Elk season SNOW and rain...as 2005 demonstrated in the East Kootenays. I ALWAYS take a pair of highend mountaineering boots, camp shoes and my Schnee's, even on a backpack hunt, I leave one pair of boots at the vehicle/base camp. Schnee's rule!!!

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
I find Danner Elk hunters (I have a pair) on the heavy side.

I use Cabelas WT extreme hunting boots.

Spot

U
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
U
Lowa Tibet or sheephunters (get 'em from schnees). they ROCK !!!

IC B2

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Entirely dependent on the weather--and the altitude.

I just came down from north-central Colorado on a moose finding trip. Thursday, there was a dusting of snow above 12,000ft. Where I was standing at 8500ft my light polarfleece jacket was almost too warm.

In the Southern Rockies sloppy snow is the biggest enemy. Depending on altitude, it may be 75 degrees, or it may be 10 below in the morning. Most likely it will be somewhere in-between.

Below freezing at night and above freezing during the day is probably the norm--dependent on altitude. If it snows at night, be prepared for snowballs sloughing off the trees by mid morning--there ain't nothing sloppier.

Last year parts of Northern Colorado got hammered the second season with several feet of snow--lots of guys had to work hard to get their camps out grin

Last year I started guiding in early September south of Steamboat at about 8500-9000ft, early October in Chama, NM at about 8000ft, than on to west-central Colorado at 9500ft for the second season--where the temps started out about 20 degrees and 6 inches of fresh snow.

The entire time I wore Gore-Tex hiking boots with two pairs of lightweight synthetic socks, and when it looked like sloppy stuff, I go to my Gore-Tex gaitors--which help a lot to keep your feet warm. It is also a lightweight-on-the-feet combo--which I prefer whenever possible.

I save wool for the really cold stuff like mid-winter predator calling. Otherwise, polarfleece, microfleece, BDU's, lightweight synthetic underwear, and my Cabela's "Stealth Cloth" Gore-Tex rainshell are the type of stuff I use.

Most out of state hunters tend to show up overdressed--of course, that's a whole lot better than underdressed.

Do layers on your clothes--because temps will vary a lot--and with a pair of boots that have 400 grams Thinsulate that should handle most stuff, I would look at a spare pair of lighter wieght boots.

The neat thing about Schnee's and other boots with liners, it's easier to pack extra liners than an entire pair of extra boots if space/weight is at a premium.

Casey

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
I only carry 2 pair of boots anymore, a pair of Hanwag's and a pair of Schnee's.....

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Ooopps....

Should add, for late season hunt's!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Taking my rifle for a walk
D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
I pack three pair of Danners. A pair of Elk Hunters 400 gram, a pair of Rain Forests 200 gram and a pair of GTX's or Lights depending. I have some 600g Mountain Lights Nd some Sorel Caribous too but they rarely get worn.

I need to buy a pair of uninsulated elk hunters for mule deer I suppose.

I'm not sure how Danner does it but I wear the elk hunters almost exclusively in Eastern Oregon nd the Rain Forests in Western Oregon. The treads do really work well in the recommended areas.

Several people here like Schnees really well. Which model do you recommend?

IC B3

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
I'd have 2 pair of boots on that hunt. Schnee's hunter II's, 13" is my preference, and a set of non-insulated, lightweight 8" or so boots, not necessarily gore-tex.

As to the wool, ask your guide if you'll be doing a lot of sitting in one place looking or will you be moving most of the day? If you're stationary a lot you might pack the wools in on cool days and put them on to sit, remove them when you move again. If you're moving all day the Columbia wools will likely be too warm. If your guide says you'll be sitting a lot I'd consider windstopper fleece over wools, I've got a couple sets of each, I wear the windstoppers lots more often.

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.
F
Campfire Outfitter
Online Shocked
Campfire Outfitter
F
I love my Danner Elk hunters! They have a ton of miles on em, I had to send em to Dnner to get resoled as the air bob soles were ripping off, but got em re soled and now there awesome!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Hanwags in leather & Schnees in rubber bottoms. Extra liners for the Schees.

Gaiters help if really deep snow.

MM

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I use Danner elk hunters and RainForest. Must be an Oregon thing. I use the elk hunters when the terrain in steeper for the ankle support. If its a drive in camp I'll throw in a pair of Sorels for camp boots. When I was a kid, I hunted in crap boots. My kids wont. Decent boots make a hunt so much more enjoyable.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'll have to check out the Schnees.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have never had a problem with any type of pack boot. I usually use a cheap sorel or wal mart. The problem I have had is I have been looking for a good insulated hiking style for late seasons and have found nothing to keep my feet as warm as a pack boot. I just bought some LaCrosse 1200 gram thinsulate gortex I am going to give them a shot. If they get cold or wet I am returning them.

Where is that wascally Wapiti?
N
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
N
you already have my fav, danner elk hunters. I wear the shnit out mine. love em. but they are too warm for summer so I wear un insulated prong horns now. I like the pronghorns but I really preffer the stitch down construction of the elk hunters.

I don't even know what a dang "schnee" is? might have to check that out, but I know in MN deer hunting I sit in open stands for hours on end with the 400g elk hunters on in Dec & I do just fine.

Something clever here.

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
I like Kenetrek boots I have both their mountian boots and snow pac. If it is realy wet and cold pac boots for every day hunting and other wise the mountian boots. I also second the gaitors both cabelas and Kenetrek make nice ones I think they are very important. Boot socks are also important and liners.

If there is any proof of a man in a hunt it is not whether he killed a deer or elk but how he hunted it.
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
I like Kenetrek boots I have both their mountian boots and snow pac. If it is realy wet and cold pac boots for every day hunting and other wise the mountian boots. I also second the gaitors both cabelas and Kenetrek make nice ones I think they are very important. Boot socks are also important and liners.

If there is any proof of a man in a hunt it is not whether he killed a deer or elk but how he hunted it.
M
msc Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
I use Schnees. Dry and quiet.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

199 members (37L1, 257 mag, 35, 240NMC, 10Glocks, 21 invisible), 1,614 guests, and 880 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,504
Posts18,490,610
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.