-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A tractor with a front end loader is a big help to get it up and well bled out. Getting the thing cold real fast is important considering it's July and packaging it to prevent freezer burn is a big concern if you are not into meat packing. You are going to be a while eating a whole beef. We have a freezer full of vacuum sealed pasture beef right now. Even after sharing it with our 3 kids it is going to be a while. Grass fed ain't corn fed but it'll do.

Patriotism (and religion) is the last refuge of a scoundrel.

Jesus: "Take heed that no man deceive you."
GB1

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
I have helped on a few over my life time. One thing not mentioned is a sturdy table at a proper height.
I am taller than average and a short work surface is a back killer.
Throwing a beef rump on a folding table isn’t ideal.
Growing up my dad built a meat saw table out of drill stem and steel plate. It was a solid table but his 5ft 6 versus my brothers 6ft 4 created grumbles.
The Table saw was handy but not often used except on Tbones and ribs.

Beer is also helpful, all my friends like beer, they are much more inclined to help ifn you have beer.

W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
Originally Posted by SuperCub
Originally Posted by WarAdmiral
That Dexter boning knife in the photo is about the most useful knife for many tasks. Both the 6" and 8" models are invaluable. Those carbon steel models are easy to sharpen and hold an edge very well.

That Dexter is a very good knife and all that one would need for boning, but the Chicago Cutlery boner laying inside above the saw blade is the one I use the most. I used a knife like that for 24yr doing commercial work. The blades are stiff and replaceable. The Dexter came to me as found in the local refinery where I now work. It was covering in rust and in hard shape. The insulators there used them for cutting hard piping insulation and left it behind in the weather. They are not expensive, but as you mention a very good knife for it's intended task.

Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Lets see, you have a Worksharp knife sharpener with several spare belts, a battery Sawzall, several cordless powered knives....

I have used a Worksharp for years, but don't own one. The meat saw in the pic will do everything I need breaking down moose, but a good recip saw is a good choice for splitting backbones. I leave back intact and just bone the muscle from both sides. Not sure I've ever seen a cordless knife other than the one my grandfather used to carb the roast beast. smile

This young bull came home with me from Newfoundland last fall completely boneless except the side ribs. It is the finest eating moose we've ever had.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

In the early to mid eighties we used to buy those Dexter's by the case from a local supplier. That was the go-to knife of every commercial fisherman. Nowadays, we see the plastic handled stainless version mostly. I never cared for that model as it took a bit longer to sharpen properly and speed was everything when cutting fish for hours at a time.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
We used to raise beef and hog along with my Great Aunt who owned the farm.

We also "crop damaged" a lot of deer. (Don't ask, but deer were on the table in 4 or 5 homes) So cutting up animals wasn't unfamiliar.

Even so, we didn't have a band saw or big grinders.

On hogs, we would do around 6 in a day. Group of family would show up,
bacons and hams set aside for curing, sausage made, puddin and scrapple made. Lard was done the next day.

Cows were shot, stuck, gutted and skinned, split, layed in the back of a pickup.
Just doing that took a big dang chunk of the day if we had 3. And we had a tractor with a good loader

(Check your loader first. There are a lot that don't go high enough to get a big steer off the ground. Check lift capacity too. If it's a "play farmer" tractor, it may not lift 1500#. Especially 10' high, plus.

You need at least 10' of lift ,
consider,
the length of the hanging apparatus between the lift and the hocks,
+ the legs are a couple feet higher than the body,
+ the body,
+ the neck and head.)

Anyway, the carcasses were hauled to the butcher.
Sometimes one at a time if it happened to be warm.

When money was tight, we just paid to let it hang, and be cut/ground.
Mom would go pick up a half, and start working on it while we were in school or work. We would work (3-4 of us) for quite a few hours trimming and wrapping. 2 big freezers would be used, trim kept in the fridge/ and being canned as fast as 2 water bath canners could go.
Freezers did their thing, Mom rotated the meat to allow it all to freeze.

(Meat stacked thick in a freezer can spoil before it freezes. It will take a day or two to get a bunch froze. If you rotate)

A day or two later, we would repeat.

As others have said, you need,
Lift capacity,
A cold place.

An unheated building can suffice if it's cold enough.
There are custom butchers here who got by on a block building for years.
Actually heating them a little to keep from freezing.
Our winters are too warm now. You can't expect a few weeks of cold weather.

Last edited by Dillonbuck; 07/11/21.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Ive cut and wrapped an easy 50 elk and exactly one bovine.

Isn't anything that cant be done. Hell, it was done for centuries without power. Do not ignore the hanging conditions posts. You can reduce your bulk by grinding whatever you intend to make burger in advance.....then get it frozen and youll be able to stagger your frozen burger packs into the pile of unfrozen meat to help get the freeze to set faster.

A couple of GOOD knives, a steel and a saw is all you need to do the work.....but all a carpenter needs is a hammer, brace and hand saw, if you get the drift.

Originally Posted by BrentD

I would not buy something that runs on any kind of primer given the possibility of primer shortages and even regulations. In fact, why not buy a flintlock? Really. Rocks aren't going away anytime soon.
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I used to work in a slaughter house in Sulphur LA. I have thought about this a bunch since meat prices went up. 2 main things you need is a hoist and craddle to lay him in - feet up. and of course all those knifes and saws in that pic above, a sawsall would be good too, clean area to work, tubs for tripe and a way to get ride of the blood, a place to empty the tripe also

J Simoneaud

Supper's ready!! you have 2 choices, Eat or Don't eat.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
When I need to butcher I start by shooting, most times 22 hornet and sometimes just 22lr, slice throat and bleed them out. I use to always hang to do the skinning and split the chest but now I just roll them onto their back and skin about 90%, hide will still be attached to the spine, cut deep into the butthole and pull it out far enough to tie it off with some small rope so it don't leak then push it back in. Remove feet and split the chest then hang and slice up through being careful not to slice into the gut. Quarter it leaving 1 rib bone on the hind quarters. I've never processed the cuts before, just take to butcher for that.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by SamOlson
We had a 1500lb steer processed last spring.

About $800 vacuum packed along with 40lbs of smoked snack sticks.

There is no way in hell I'd bother with it for that price.

The guy did a great job, way better than I ever could.

I'll stick to raising them.

This guy has seen a few beef cattle from every direction, I would endorse that assessment

Originally Posted by RJY66

I was thinking the other day how much I used to hate Bill Clinton. He was freaking George Washington compared to what they are now.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The mobile slaughter guys we pay are pretty badazz. It's super cheap, too. Maybe $75 or $100 a head?

They show up in a reefer truck with a winch and hoist mounted on the back corner.
Pop the cow in the head, Put the cable around the back legs and as 1 guy operates the winch the other guy is making cuts the whole time.

It might take 15 or 20 minutes, max, and 4 clean quarters are hanging in the truck, the hide and guts are in a 55gal poly drum, and they are on the next animal or pulling out on their way to drop your beef at the butcher of your choice.
They make it look easy.

If I had a big cooler to hang them I may have them drop it at home one of these years.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
IC B3

J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
Originally Posted by HitnRun
Originally Posted by SamOlson
We had a 1500lb steer processed last spring.

About $800 vacuum packed along with 40lbs of smoked snack sticks.

There is no way in hell I'd bother with it for that price.

The guy did a great job, way better than I ever could.

I'll stick to raising them.

This guy has seen a few beef cattle from every direction, I would endorse that assessment

Advice from some fugging guy with a shoe closet and a sunglasses display case?

I am MAGA.
J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
Originally Posted by MadMooner
The mobile slaughter guys we pay are pretty badazz. It's super cheap, too. Maybe $75 or $100 a head?

They show up in a reefer truck with a winch and hoist mounted on the back corner.
Pop the cow in the head, Put the cable around the back legs and as 1 guy operates the winch the other guy is making cuts the whole time.

It might take 15 or 20 minutes, max, and 4 clean quarters are hanging in the truck, the hide and guts are in a 55gal poly drum, and they are on the next animal or pulling out on their way to drop your beef at the butcher of your choice.
They make it look easy.

If I had a big cooler to hang them I may have them drop it at home one of these years.

Fugging A.

These mobile guys do it for a song.

Build a cool bot like Slumlord and get to it!

I am MAGA.
L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Pussies. smile

I’ve done over 20 moose, on kill site, most of them solo, about half in excess of 1,000 lbs, none with the benefit of even a come-along.

The most memorable was the 54”” 1300-1400 lb bull that went straight down with shot placement just under his antler base, not quite wedged between two 3’ high hummocks, with his legs folded underneath.

I was alone, but fortunately only a half mile from the float plane lake. I just started at the top and worked my way down. 4 hours later the meat was bagged and cooling on a deadfall 100 yards away.

I just don’t see the OP’s problem. smile

Last edited by las; 07/11/21.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Maybe this will help.

Fight fire, save lives, laugh in the face of danger.

Stupid always finds a way.
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
I have butchered about 90 whitetail deer, and at least 2 dozen wild hogs. In Georgia, you can't take a wild hog to the butcher. It is fun but it is a lot of work.

I did spend the summer with big game guides in British Columbia. Up there, they quarter an 800 pound moose with a chain saw.

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
We did it when I was a kid. I still do pigs, deer and wild game myself but a steer is way more work than I want to do

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
“Want to”. Is of course muy better than “ have to”.

Those mobile butchers sound pretty good!

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by simonkenton7
I have butchered about 90 whitetail deer, and at least 2 dozen wild hogs. In Georgia, you can't take a wild hog to the butcher. It is fun but it is a lot of work.

I did spend the summer with big game guides in British Columbia. Up there, they quarter an 800 pound moose with a chain saw.

I have used a chain saw to cut up downer calves for my running hounds, but I wouldn't for table beef. I don't care much for the bar and chain lube on/in the meat and cut/splintered bones just don't appeal to me either. I don't know a lot of people who've used a chain saw on beef or hogs (for family consumption) that have done it more than once.

Mathew 22: 37-39

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I’ve butchered one beef . It was
Pushing 900 pounds. We used a medium size tractor to raise the beef up just like butchering s deer . It was two men working and about 10 hour day . We ground a lot of it and just did our best in cutting up everything else . It’s hard work plus you need to know what you’re doing sorta lol . You get the back strap just like a deer .

FUGK CCP

It’s time to WAKE UP
GOD BLESS THE USA
WWG1WGA
THERE ARE NO COINCIDENCES
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
My step grandfather owned a farm and had 7 sons, so butchering a beef was a group effort and they could take care of it no problem. One by one they came of age and left home. After that my grandma said they always had a butcher come and paid him to take care of it. Back then on a farm, young boys started helping with butchering at around 9 or 10 years of age.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

479 members (12344mag, 01Foreman400, 06hunter59, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 160user, 41 invisible), 2,499 guests, and 1,295 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,628
Posts18,474,244
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.