-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
It's one of those seasonal things. There was a season for being in wedding parties and being a best man. There was a season for doing christenings and being a godparent. Now it's pallbearer season.

I was pallbearer for my mother-in-law's funeral. We ended up being short on pall bearers, but luckily she and the casket didn't weigh much. It had rained and the grass was slick. Angus was playing bagpipes. I was worried my son, Moose and I were going to slip. It was a hairy downhill run to be sure.

There was a period about that time where Angus was getting gigs to play funerals and I was out of work. I'd pick him up from class and we'd drive out to the cemetery or funeral home. I kept a suit handy for these gigs. On more than one occasion, I got pulled in to do pallbearer detail for complete strangers. I figured what the heck. If it got Angus a bigger tip, I was in for it.

I just did one the other night-- my best friend from college's father. I hadn't seen Larry in 25 years. He'd had Alsheimer's.

My best friend died at the end of February, just in time for Cincinnati mud season. Moose, Angus, and I acted as pallbearers along with his grown son, who uses a cane. He was none too steady, I put him behind me. Bob's grave was way the hell back from the road. It had just stopped pouring rain. We were making good time, when I stepped in a mud hole and the mud sucked my shoe off. Ed, the son, started to falter, and for a brief instant, it looked like our side was going down. However, we recovered and made it to the bier.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
GB4

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
I have been asked to sing, more than carry, sometimes lead 'congregational' singing, and some small group/solo, did both for Grandmother.....

Mom has requested that I sing at her funeral........ I asked her what her next request was!!!

Last edited by Muffin; 07/12/21.

"...A man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box and the cartridge box..." Frederick Douglass, 1867

( . Y . )
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J

Been a few years since I've been asked to be a pallbearer. There was a period were I used to be asked to be a pallbearer about every year or two. I highly doubt I'll ever be asked again unless as an honorary pallbearer due to my age and the fact that I have very few close relatives or friends still alive. Both mine and my wife's parents are dead, all my aunts and uncles have died, too, as well as a good many of my cousins. Never minded doing it at all. Considered it an honor.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Once, for my wife's grandmother.
She wasn't very big, but I think the old guys weren't carrying their share.
Not knowing how heavy it would be, I was lifting hard and it was heavy.
Was glad to set it down.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
Yes, several times. It is an honor, but there certainly is a trade off.

IC B2

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Once. For my Grandpa in 86.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Once - and damn, that casket was heavy... eek

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
C
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
C
Went to a funeral of a cousin on a brutally cold, windy winter day lots of years ago.

One of the appointed bearers didn't show and I was asked to help. I hadn't planned on going to the cemetery and wasn't dressed to be outside very long.

I didn't have an overcoat or ear muffs-If I had a do-over I'd have put on my winter clothes I had in the truck, to heck with appearance.

Always drink upstream from the herd...cowdoc...
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by renegade50
OIC,s had it tough presenting flag to next of kin.
Didnt envy them that at all.

3 spent shells in the flag aint in the ceremony regs.
But it was something I did on my detail.
3 volleys 3 shells.
3 is the number of completion from what I always was told also.

My MIL had a very nice honor guard presentation due to her wartime service as a USN WAVE. She was very proud of her service (her mother was a USN Yeoman in WW-I) and the honor guard did a fine job. The family was truly appreciative.

Last time I was a pallbearer was for my Uncle Silas. The service as in Williamsburg KY but the burial over with the rest of the family in Pineville KY. On the way over there even children playing front yards stopped and took their hats off and stood up in honor. The cemetery in Pineville (by the hospital for those that know it) is a steep angle like much of that country. Silas had a stunning coffin of Pecan that wasn't light. I was wearing dress shoes and wish I'd had boots on the rain slick ground. If we'd dropped him it would have rolled 500 yards to the bottom of the hill. eek He might have found that funny. Hard to say with Silas!

If something on the internet makes you angry the odds are you're being manipulated
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Couple.months ago. And a couple months before that.
Got three buried in one area of the cemetery. Helped carry all 3.

So think 5 or 6.

Last edited by hookeye; 07/12/21.
IC B3

B
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
B
Only once- my Mom in 1985. My two sons were 13 and 11 at the time and also carried their Grandma. Two brothers-in-law helped out. My Dad was cremated and we scattered his ashes at his favorite fishing spot in rural Massachusetts.

Jesus saves, but Moses invests
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Geno67
More times than I care to remember.

This

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Both my parents and two grandparents.

hanco Online Content OP
Campfire Savant
OP Online Content
Campfire Savant
We have to get ready to go to a woman’s funeral in a little while, hoping rain holds off.

Last edited by hanco; 07/12/21.
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
A couple a year

Being a Baptist deacon has its duties, that and I’m just a heck of a guy.

Pillar of the community. Even when they have enough, they’ve still made me an honorary pall bearer. People want my name in their obit.

Can’t live your whole live in some rathole nowhere town and expect the same.

C
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
C
Never have

She never made it past the bedroom door, what was she aiming for...?
She's gone shootin..
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by hanco
I’m a pallbearer for wifey’s friend tomorrow, probably the 5th or 6th time I’ve done so.
..................Been a pallbearer with the help of other family members; for my mother and for my son.

28 Nosler,,,,300WSM,,,,338-378 Wby,,,,375 Ruger

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by slumlord
A couple a year

Being a Baptist deacon has its duties, that and I’m just a heck of a guy.

Pillar of the community. Even when they have enough, they’ve still made me an honorary pall bearer. People want my name in their obit.

Can’t live your whole live in some rathole nowhere town and expect the same.

Wait a minute.
A Baptist Deacon?

Man.
The whole image is blown.
I had been having suspicions, but wanted to a low you to maintain
your personal.

Ho-Lee-Heck.
Now we gonna find Rene is a Methodist Minister and
Deflave is....hmmmmm....Pope?

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
To many times to count. Only refused one. Han an uncle morbidly obese. Was 400+ and I was 55 with 2 blown knees.

Have done a bunch for co-workers (fire department). Those were tougher than the older relatives truth be known. Many were in the prime of life.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Twice. For my Grandpa and my Dad. Would have been for my brother last month but he was cremated.

Fall seven times, stand up eight.
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

657 members (10gaugeman, 10Glocks, 160user, 163bc, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 76 invisible), 2,458 guests, and 1,348 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,961
Posts18,480,557
Members73,954
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.