Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
J
Jeffrey Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
J
Got a rifle season elk hinting trip coming up. Montana. Thread in elk hunting forum. Doing a lot of research, a lot of new stuff.

I’ve checked out the quilt thread here. Tell me, what are the pros and cons of quilts and bags?

I did a quilt work up on a website for a custom quilt and thought it was pretty cool, but I don’t understand the practical differences beyond the outward appearance between quilts and bags. My finished quilt was rated to 0 degrees and weighed less than 1.6 pounds. A bag of that weight seems to be 2 or 3 times that weight.

Any other differences?

GB1

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I've spent numerous nights out in 0 deg. and lower temps and unless you're the human torch or high on meth., a 1.6 lb quilt (or bag) will not keep you warm for any appreciable amount of time dressed in your normal sleeping gear. Even with full base and fleece mid layers with an extremely warm hat It will a be long night waiting for morning to come.

“Some ideas are so stupid that only intellectuals believe them.”
― G. Orwell

"Why can't men kill big game with the same cartridges women and kids use?"
_Eileen Clarke

"Unjust authority confers no obligation of obedience."
- Alexander Hamilton

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Another note. I have found Western Mountaineering's temp ratings are about as accurate as they get. If your quilt company is saying their product, sans hood, is as warm as a 0 deg. WM sleeping bag that weighs almost twice as much, I've got ocean front property in Two Dot, MT. I'll sell you cheap!

Hang on to your wallet and walk away.

Compare this quilts' down fill to comparably temp. rated WM down bag:

https://enlightenedequipment.com/enigma-stock/

https://www.westernmountaineering.com/sleeping-bags/specification-chart/

The Enigma has over a half pound less fill wt. of same quality down as a WM bag.

Here is another link to Feathered Friends down bag(another top flight co. with accurate temp ratings).
https://featheredfriends.com/collec...ered-friends-ibis-ex-0-down-sleeping-bag

Again, a half pound more fill than the quilt, and that's for a reason.

Better to lose the wt. under your belt and sleep well at night than trying to save a bit in the pack.

Last edited by SBTCO; 07/11/21.

“Some ideas are so stupid that only intellectuals believe them.”
― G. Orwell

"Why can't men kill big game with the same cartridges women and kids use?"
_Eileen Clarke

"Unjust authority confers no obligation of obedience."
- Alexander Hamilton

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
I live in SW Montana at 5500 feet on the Divide. Last year the temps were below zero for most of the rifle season and the winds were terrible. I never camp out any more since I live where I hunt but I can't imagine sleeping in anything that isn't truly capable of -15 weather at a minimum in the winter. Being rated at zero usually doesn't mean that you're warm at zero degrees, you'll need something rated for at least 10 degrees colder just to be warm in zero degrees. I hunted several days in -20 to -30 temperatures last year.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've several EE quilts and love them. Saving weight on the zipper and the worthless compressed insulation underneath you is what first attracted me, but I find a quilt much more comfortable (less restrictive) and that's my primary reason for preferring a quilt now. EE makes a down head cover (Hoodlum) that is useful in cold temps. I use mine anytime it's below 20 degrees and find it well worth the extra 3 ounces.

Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Suck bullets simply suck.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 406_SBC
I've several EE quilts and love them. Saving weight on the zipper and the worthless compressed insulation underneath you is what first attracted me, but I find a quilt much more comfortable (less restrictive) and that's my primary reason for preferring a quilt now.

My experience has been the same. I've used my 0 and 10 degree UGQ/EE quilts down to -25 comfortably many times. Unless I'm truck/horse/quad camping, I have no use for a bag anymore, regardless of the weather. I may change my mind in -30 and colder temperatures, but I doubt it.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
I have a 10 degree UGQ quilt. I'm a side sleeper so I got an extra wide and very glad I did. I can lay on one side of it to keep it tucked and pull the other in under my front.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
J
Jeffrey Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
J
For those of you using quilts in cold weather, what are you wearing while you sleep. Base layers? Sweats? Please forgive my ignorance. I’m a Texan.,,

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Jeffrey
For those of you using quilts in cold weather, what are you wearing while you sleep. Base layers? Sweats? Please forgive my ignorance. I’m a Texan.,,
Merino wool in cold weather, with thinsulate booties and a heavy fleece stocking cap. I haven't used it below about 20 yet, though. If it was colder, one of those down hoods would be very nice.

― George Orwell

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter

If it's really cold I'm wearing my hunting clothes (Sporthill pants, merino baselayer and merino LS shirt on top, maybe a fleece button-up shirt on top), toque, neck gaiter, thick merino socks, etc. But that's only if it's a bunch colder than the quilt/bag is rated for. Oh, and I sleep rather hot, so that impacts what I wear in a given weather condition.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I typically sleep in a cotton t-shirt and fairly heavy synthetic socks. As it gets below 20 degrees I add a pair of lightweight fleece pants and the EE Hoodlum. If I'm finding it uncomfortably cold I'll add a 1/4 zip fleece shirt, but that'll keep me comfortably warm down to zero. I only sleep in camp clothes as I find being clean and absolutely dry makes a lot of difference in sleep quality for me.

Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Suck bullets simply suck.

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
I sleep in my Stanfields one piece wool underwear and a pair of socks. If it is much below 20F, I prefer my arctic survival bag. As has been mentioned, a zero rated bag will keep you alive at zero but it won't keep you happy! In order to be warm enough in a quilt, the quilt has to be just as heavy as my bag. The sleeping pad is nearly as important as the bag. GD

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
A quilt gives you extra room to improvise. I haven't needed it but I could easily put on my down puffy coat.

― George Orwell

J
Jeffrey Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
J
Looking at the reviews on the UFQ bandit quilts and people seem to like them. I guess they could be cherry picking their reviews, but they have 28ish pages of positive reviews. It seems a lot of people feel their temperature ratings are legitimate. I think that’s how I’m going to go I have good hunting and camp clothes to go with it so it should work out well!

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
UGQ makes all their quilts to order. You get many choices of color (both inside and out), size, and temp rating. When you order, they put you on a list and you can see who all is ahead of you. Once your name reaches the top, it's shipped within a day or 2. I had to wait about 3 weeks for mine a couple years ago. It's probably farther out now.

― George Orwell

J
Jeffrey Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
J
Ordered a UGQ Bandit. 0 degree 950 fill with all the extras. Now I need to find a good sleeping pad. I know I need a high R rating.
Who knew spending all this money could be so fun. If you see me lost in the mountains, I’m the guy with all the new stuff.

whistle

Last edited by Jeffrey; 07/14/21.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Check out the Thermarest NeoAir XTherm MAX.

J
Jeffrey Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith
Check out the Thermarest NeoAir XTherm MAX.

What’s the scoop? I see it’s pricey. Are you using this pad, Jordan?

Last edited by Jeffrey; 07/14/21.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Ordered a UGQ Bandit. 0 degree 950 fill with all the extras. Now I need to find a good sleeping pad. I know I need a high R rating.
Who knew spending all this money could be so fun. If you see me lost in the mountains, I’m the guy with all the new stuff.

whistle

I use an Exped Down Mat 7 with my 0 deg Bandit Quilt. Very happy with it.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
It's a bit bulky but any kind of ensolite pad, like a Thermorest Z Pad or a cheap 3/8 pad from Big 5 or Walmart, on top of any other pad will give you some very useful extra R's. They weight close to nothing and don't leak.

― George Orwell

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

567 members (160user, 1234, 16gage, 06hunter59, 1OntarioJim, 007FJ, 48 invisible), 2,282 guests, and 1,252 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,398
Posts18,470,095
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.