Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
Me and the boy go to one every 5 weeks or so on Friday after I get off work. Bunch of Asian ladies cutting hair but they only do men and still do the razor and shaving cream on the back. It’s $9 for him and $12 for me. They’ll scrape your whiskers off with a straight razor for another $9. The TV is stuck on the boxing channel and they have piles of sports magazines in the waiting area.

GB1

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by wabigoon
When was the last time you got a haircut in a barber shop with a barber pole in front?.
About a month ago, or less.. We have an actual barber in town - and he has the barber pole right outside the window...

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by wabigoon
When was the last time you got a haircut in a barber shop with a barber pole in front?

Back in the early sixties for me.

Got one Richard. I'm about due for another haircut this week too.
When I was a kid, we used to think only effeminate boys went to hair dressers. My barber has always been the manliest old fashioned barber in the state. He cut the hair of military since he was old enough to enlist in the army. He started cutting hair of the neighbors as a kid. He was cutting hair of the little Italian town long before he had a license. Later he cut the hair of local celebrities and football and basketball teams. He kept it up all his life with a great reputation. I should finish writing a book about him. The biography should have a photo of his barber pole on the cover.

S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
Nash's (Ignacio) Barber shop. Couldn't have been more than 200 square feet. Maybe 4 chairs. 4 chairs for waiting. A small back room with a curtain over the doorway where there was a small refrigerator with beer in it and a small stack of Playboy magazines where the grownups could wait. It was pretty much in and out with a regular boys haircut and a piece of Bazooka Joe bubble gum.
This was all up to May of 1968 when we moved to SoCal.

Last edited by smarquez; 07/13/21.

Fight fire, save lives, laugh in the face of danger.

Stupid always finds a way.
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
I went this morning. I’ve had the same barber since the 70s.

IC B2

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
Every two weeks, you have to be a licensed barber to have a pole out front in Texas.

Last edited by hanco; 07/13/21.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
We have a really good barber in town, probably the best flat top barber that I've ever been to. It's 24 miles away and usually they're to busy whenever I'm in town. So I just let my wife butcher my hair up. At 63 I really don't give a damn what my hair looks like as long as it's cut tight.

Life is good live it while you can.
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Went to a real barber shop in Sierra Vista up until the shanghai shivers hit. Older man and a younger woman. Good conversation. The old man did the straight razor trim. Close to the main gate at Fort Huachucha and lots of stuff supporting the military and Second Ammendment.

In Yuma my boys and I went to the Oasis Barber Shop. An older Mexican man and two of his sons. They used to have a barber shop in the old downtown area. Moved to a newer shop in a shopping mall on Avenue A. The old man retired and his two boys continued cutting hair. One day we walked in and I could tell they were talking about us. Didn't think much about it. When I sat down he asked if Louie Kehl was my wife's uncle. I told him yes. He said we have cut your famliy's hair for five generations. They were very proud of that and made a point to tell whoever was in the shop when we came in. How can you not appreciate someone like that?

In Benson I used to go to a one armed barber. He didn't use a straight razor.

L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
My barber wasn't as famous as was slappy's but the shop was a good place to hang out when I was supposed to be in catechism class. Reading Argosy and True was much more instructive to a developing young mind. Plenty of great drawings of scantily clad women killing nazis and japs. All those patriots had big titties.

mike r

Don't wish it were easier
Wish you were better

Stab them in the taint, you can't put a tourniquet on that.
Craig Douglas ECQC
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I go to Ft Campbell and there are lots of barber shops up that way. Most use the old clippers and vacuum systems.

I may not be smart but I can lift heavy objects

I have a shotgun so I have no need for a 30-06.....
IC B3

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I go every two weeks for a high n tight, the barber shop my family went to had cut
Four generations of my family,i showed the barbers son a picture of his grandfather giving me my first haircut. Now that he 's gone i go to another Italian guy that has an old time place,always busy,quick in and out with no B.S.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J

Been a while for me. We had a two chair barber shop here in the little town we live for ages but it closed a couple of years back and for lease now. It still has all the old original fixtures that date back to at least to the '40s if not earlier.

I used to get my hair cut there regularly back when the old former barber / owner ran it. He kept an old upright piano on the back wall where he'd play and sing with a local quartet after hours and when business was slow. He ran the barber shop by himself for no telling how long. He used to go to shut-ins homes, nursing homes, hospitals and occasionally funeral homes to give hair cuts and often as not for free. After he retired another barber bought it and it never was quite the same.

The new barber was okay but not too good at cutting hair. Every time I went regardless how I said I wanted my hair cut I wound up with a hair cut that looked just exactly like how his hair was cut. He retired a few years ago with health issues and leased the shop to another fairly young barber. He didn't last long at all. He'd just up and close the shop and leave when ever he felt like it. It was closed about as much as it was open. Never did get a haircut from him. Wife's been cutting my hair mostly since the original old barber left.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Just went this morning. 2 on the sides 4 on top.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

If you wear a "0 Three" or a "One 4", get you a Wahl kit. Fades are easy.

Not the intro models.

Don't ask me about my military service or heroic acts...most of it is untrue.

Pronoun: Yes, SIR !
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by joken2

Been a while for me. We had a two chair barber shop here in the little town we live for ages but it closed a couple of years back and for lease now. It still has all the old original fixtures that date back to at least to the '40s if not earlier.

I used to get my hair cut there regularly back when the old former barber / owner ran it. He kept an old upright piano on the back wall where he'd play and sing with a local quartet after hours and when business was slow. He ran the barber shop by himself for no telling how long. He used to go to shut-ins homes, nursing homes.

That's funny. A real genuine barbershop quartet! Lol.
My barber used to go to the nursing homes too....not to.cut hair, but to serve the Lord. No charge. He never did end up a resident, but he went to bring those shut ins a blessing.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Right up until December of 2019, when my barber, Pete, passed at age 93! His father, also a barber, built his little shop for him upon his return from WW II Europe. Pete went to barber's school, and operated that shop from 1946 until his death.

As Forrest Gump might have said, getting a haircut at Pete's was like a box of chocolates. You never knew what you were going to get. LOL!
But for $7.00, how could you complain?

"No good deed shall go unpunished!"
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by JeffyD
Right up until December of 2019, when my barber, Pete, passed at age 93! His father, also a barber, built his little shop for him upon his return from WW II Europe. Pete went to barber's school, and operated that shop from 1946 until his death.

As Forrest Gump might have said, getting a haircut at Pete's was like a box of chocolates. You never knew what you were going to get. LOL!

Are you saying that he cut hair until 93?

T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
We had a barber in town here for forever who you’d go in and tell him what you wanted, and 10 minutes and $9 later walk out with a burr or a flattop. Didn’t matter what you asked for, you got a burr or a flattop.

Another that I visited but never got a shearing at was in Stillwater OK. Old bachelor in an ancient shop with hair about 4” deep on the floor. He dipped Copenhagen and spit into the clippings on the floor, swept up occasionally, very occasionally. He was known for seeing college atheletes walking by and telling them they looked like they could use a trim, on the house of course to show his pride for the school. Once they were in the chair they got a flattop, regardless of what was in style! I spent an educational afternoon with him and my Ag teacher who was an OSU alumni.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Every time I go in.

1Minute
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by Happy_Camper
Originally Posted by JeffyD

Are you saying that he cut hair until 93?

Yes, he was in his shop four days a week.
Local legend. TV news did a story on him.

Didn't do a lot of business. I'd often walk in and find him sleeping in the barber's chair, holding a newspaper in his lap. Little bit scary, hoping he was only sleeping!

"No good deed shall go unpunished!"
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

547 members (1minute, 1_deuce, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 22kHornet, 1234, 70 invisible), 2,403 guests, and 1,260 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,539
Posts18,472,836
Members73,939
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.