Hop To
Page 3 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 11 12
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by Llama_Bob
Originally Posted by bowmanh
The OP was discussing the use of the .30-06 for hunting, not its use by the military, which is an entirely different matter. As an all around cartridge for hunting, the 06 is pretty hard to beat. It's arguably the best single all around choice for North American big game as it will handle anything from antelope to the big bears without excessive recoil. And for plains game in Africa it's a great choice. There is no perfect cartridge for all situations, but the 06 is a very good compromise for most.

If you're just talking about hunting, the WSM cass stomps the -06. More velocity, more efficient, short action instead of long action.

The -06 is nothing special. It was not special when it was created, and it's not special now. It's basically what a 'C-' in cartridge design looks like.

The 300 WSM has more recoil than an 06. Rifles in WSM generally only hold three rounds and sometimes more is useful. The short magnums also tend to have more feeding problems. I have nothing against them, but I think the 06 is more versatile, not to mention that ammo is widely available, even in small towns, something that cannot be said for the WSM's. In the end it's all about personal choice but that's my opinion, and by the way, the opinion of millions of shooters who use the 06 and not the WSM's.

GB1

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
To the OP: you're right, your original post was about the 06 case. As usual on the 'fire, the discussion veered away from it's original point.

F
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
F
My dad was a WW11 veteran. Couple other men I’ve known were Korean veterans. They sure loved the 30GOVT06. My dad bought a model 70 in 1941 and he bought my featherweight in 1955. Of course both are in 06. 110s to 250 Barnes and six rounds on board in the grizzly hills.

Last edited by frank500; 07/12/21.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I’ve never been into
The Almost as good as......

Why have an Almost... when you can have the real one ?

I’ll take an 06 and 270 in favor of the
“Almost as good” ones.

Jerry

ps: I’m Old School

Last edited by jwall; 07/12/21.

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Worth noting that every big game species in North America has been successfully hunted with the good ol' 30-06 cartridge. This fellow did almost all of his hunts with the 165 grain Nosler Partition, bumping up to the 200 grain Nosler Partition for a few of the really big animals.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

I like lots of different cartridges, but have to admit that the 30-06 & 25-06 are two of my favorites. Not sure there's anything 6mm - 40 cal on the .30-06 case that I wouldn't like. I've taken wolf, antelope, deer, elk, black bear and grizzly with my 30-06, it was absolutely "enough gun." Then again, I could have done that with a dozen different cartridges.

But... "perfect" ? I dunno. Is anything ever perfect?

Regards, Guy

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by lee440
This is a discussion about the venerable old 06 case. I have come to the conclusion, after 55 years of hunting and lots of shooting and load development along with many discussions with others with much more experience than I... that the old 06 case is so practical and versatile that it is just about the perfect case size for 90% of the worlds hunting. When you reflect on the number of factory cartridges based on it, then add all of the wildcats, up to, and including the 400's, I honestly cannot think of anything on this earth that could not be taken,capably, with one of the offspring of this cartridge. With the advent of extremely high quality, well constructed bullets over the last couple of decades, they are even more effective than ever. I think that most would agree that the average big game taken by the majority of hunters occurs at under 300 yards and 06 based cartridges can handle these with ease. This is not an attack on magnums in any way, they always have their place in hunting, just, for most of us, under most conditions, a 280, 30/06, or 338/06 for example, would have killed them just as dead as their magnum counterparts did. As a big bore and magnum fan of many years, it took me a long time and many hunts to finally realize and appreciate just how great 06 based cartridges are.

Amen brother

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Llama_Bob
If you're looking for range, the .30-06 (or .308) is a disaster. Too big a bore, too small a case.
The reach of any .308 round in use today is barely longer than the 77gr SMK load
When and if you hunt deer and elk size game what do you use?

Patriotism (and religion) is the last refuge of a scoundrel.

Jesus: "Take heed that no man deceive you."
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Llama_Bob, curious what your choice of the perfect cartridge would be?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by ChrisF

Who cares? Our military stayed with .30 in our battle rifles from 1892 clear up to the late 60's yet that squirrel tries to claim the 30-'06 was obsolete right from the getgo. What a clown

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Aren't even the short action .473 case head line of cartridges based off of the old '06?

Last edited by 10gaugemag; 07/13/21.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Case capacity and bore size is what makes the 30-06 such a great cartridge.Not too many cartridges can burn such a wide range of powders and shoot such a wide range of bullet weights like a 30-06.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
As Bob Hagel would say"You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong."Good words of wisdom...............
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by meddybemps
When I was in jr.high school, Townsend Whelan told me ...in his book Why Not Load Your Own...that the 30-06 was never a mistake on North American game.
So there you have it. Ihave spent my entire adult life confirming what I knew in junior high.

I cannot argue with that.

Old African hands will tell you the perefect safari battery is the 30-06 coupled with the .375 H & H. They shoot the same basic trajectory and are a highly effective pair to cover everything from duiker to elephant.

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
fter
Originally Posted by moosemike

Who cares? Our military stayed with .30 in our battle rifles from 1892 clear up to the late 60's yet that squirrel tries to claim the 30-'06 was obsolete right from the getgo. What a clown

In fairness your military was experimenting with calibres smaller than .30 from the early 1890s, and this continued up to, during and after the US participation in the last few months of WWI. They even tested a .25 based on the .30/06 case in 1917.

Of course you'd also know that your Navy and Marines adopted a 6 mm too, after considering a .32, and this was adopted after the Navy had also considered and tested the .30 Ball (.30-40), though after a comparatively short period of a few years the Navy decided to come into standardisation with the Army.

Through the 20s and early 30s work continued, with intermediate-sized 6.5 and 7 mm calibres favoured. There was a strong view that an intermediate-sized 7mm, the .276, was ideal, based on quite comprehensive tests of such things as lethality, and considerations of ammunition weight, recoil and package size. It was close to being adopted, and was specified for the trials for a new self-loading rifle for the Army, with the Garand which was ultimately adopted being designed around it. This all came to a halt in 1932, a decision based largely on economics, there being too many rifles, machine guns rounds of ammunition to replace at the height of the depression, and as a result the Garand was redesigned to suit the .30/06.

And of course after WWII work again started, more or less immediately, on a cartridge smaller and lighter than the .30/06, eventually leading to 5.56. More recently, as a matter of some irony, there have been some for whom the ideal service cartridge is an intermediate-sized one of about 7mm, whose ballistics more or less replicate the .276 of 1932 (and, for that matter, the .280 favoured by Britain and other allies for the NATO round in the late 1940s).

That is not to be taken as a criticism of the .30/06 as a hunting rifle cartridge. I've always had at least one, for the past 40-odd years. I think it is a good versatile sort of cartridge, and I've shot hundreds of animals with it, including pigs, goats and several species of deer. It has always done what I expect of it.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
30-06 works fine everytime I use it. As a matter of fact that pile of 78 year old SL 43 brass I been using in it for 50 years could probably stand a cleaning though. Perfect is a word that needs to be defined by the individual using it. The 30-06 based cartridges I been using seem to be fine enough for me also. Don't have much use though for people who have 20/20 hindsight and can't see in front of them
. Mb

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
i have not used a 30-06 cartridge rifle for 40 some years but i inherited a pre-64 30-06 a few years ago that i never will part with, this rifle has plenty history was made in the early 50`s like 1951 maybe ? just because i can i plan on deer hunting with this old pre-64 30-06 this year 2021, sure i have the latest and maybe even the greatest in todays manufactured rifles Red Ruger Precision AR bolt type 6.5 Creedmoor and it shoots great. but sometimes as we get older we think of the past and its nice to use a tool for hunting from the past ,besides when i pull up this old pre-64 30-06 Chev pickup it fits me better than my new Red Ruger AR Camaro of a 6.5 Creedmoor.

Last edited by pete53; 07/13/21.

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Originally Posted by bowmanh

The 300 WSM has more recoil than an 06. Rifles in WSM generally only hold three rounds and sometimes more is useful. The short magnums also tend to have more feeding problems. I have nothing against them, but I think the 06 is more versatile, not to mention that ammo is widely available, even in small towns, something that cannot be said for the WSM's. In the end it's all about personal choice but that's my opinion, and by the way, the opinion of millions of shooters who use the 06 and not the WSM's.

The recoil for a .300 WSM is negligible. Are we arming little girls here? Oh, and the WSM case feeds just fine.

You do have me on one point though - the .30-06 is PERFECT for the sort of guy who forgets his ammo. The ignorance of ballistics that created it goes perfectly with a fellow who can't remember to bring his ammo laugh

Last edited by Llama_Bob; 07/13/21.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I agree with the OP. Availability of brass and actions aside, if the -06 case wasn't close enough to perfect, wildcatters would have based so many of our cartridges on something else.
But of course having owned at least one since the '60's, I admit to a certain amount of prejudice.
And anyone who doesn't own at least one is a commie pinko kweer.

I am continually astounded at how quickly people make up their minds on little evidence or none at all.
Jack O'Connor
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Originally Posted by Hastings
When and if you hunt deer and elk size game what do you use?

I don't put any particular stock in "perfect" cartridges as design work continues. For example it's quite likely in 10-20 years time we'll be mostly shooting cartridges with steel case heads at 80+KPSI. The .277 SIG demonstrated this is feasible, now it's just a matter of making hunting type cases on the same principle and the guns to go with them.

But of the current choices, for hunting I think the WSM case and Nosler case are very well though out. Currently I'm using a .28 Nosler, .300 WSM, or .375 WSM depending on circumstances and the level of bear threat. I've used a 7mm WSM in the past quite a bit as well.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
LBob: you make some good points. But, IMO stating that the '06 was a disaster militarily might have been a tiney bit overstated. As you said in your post above, design work continues. So does that mean that all current cartridges are a disaster because future improvement may come? Hardly.

Sorry, but General Patton's opinion carries more weight than yours, in this case.

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I'm only comparing the -06 to what was available at the turn of the centry. The fact is we would have been FAR better off with the 6mm Navy with a spire point or a 6.5x55 or any of a number of smaller bore, smaller case cartridges. As I said, it was acceptable as a hunting cartridge at that point, mostly because of the poor availability of superior cartridges. It was a disaster as a military cartridge.

And it's standard for the nostalia nuthugger to tote out some old quote. To the nuthugger, things said long ago are more important than the facts of the matter laugh The Garand had the merit of being the first widely deployed autoloading rifle in that weight class. That was good. The cartridge was bad, and the Arsenal knew it which is why the .276 Pedersen was created. Confusing the cartridge and the rifle is stupid.

Last edited by Llama_Bob; 07/13/21.
Page 3 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 11 12

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

87 members (Anaconda, 7mm_Loco, 444Matt, 1_deuce, 338reddog, 79S, 8 invisible), 1,527 guests, and 745 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,368
Posts18,488,296
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.