Page 5 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 11 12
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Originally Posted by CCCC
Originally Posted by Llama_Bob
Originally Posted by southtexas
And, LBob, you can't seem to have an adult conversion involving differences of opinions without throwing out childish, condescending insults...

I just refuses to tolerate nostaligic nonsense. There are plenty of things that are old that are crap, and the -06 case happens to be one of them. If people want to engage on the technical merits of the design rather than blather about WWII that's different, but I'm unlikely to get many takers because it was and is an obviously inferior design both for military and hunting applications, abeit for different reasons.
LB, your haughty and condescending stance is telling, and a turn off to most thinking folks, especially when you offer nothing but "opinion" for your supposedly desired discussion of "technical merits". You inserted the fuzzy term "nostalgia" apparently as an intended means to generally criticize the actual knowledge and insights gained by hands-on efforts and outcomes experienced by thousands of shooters. Attacking the persons or the alleged "nostalgia" is weak and not productive - and certainly not related to any "technical merits". If you have half the brain and knowledge you pretend, you do know that "technical merits" are simply that - estimates of potential success based upon assumptions about comparative designs - not on-target outcomes. These "nostalgic" folks you decry are evidence based. And, it was you that blathered about military usefulness and flatly condemned the 30:06. What is your platform, anyway?

The small case, excessive taper, and excessively steep shoulder of the .30-06 are facts. They are not opinion. And they make the .30-06 less effective as a hunting round (and as a parent for hunting rounds) than it would otherwise be. You get less velocity, poor efficiency, and worse accuracy and reloadability than you would get with a better designed case.

Those are facts.

Now, if someone want to get all nostalgic that grandaddy was holding an -06 when he brought up the rear on Guadalcanal, well, that's their business. But it doesn't change the facts.

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
"We would've been better off with the 6mm Lee Navy"
Yeah right. The Japanese began WWII with all their eggs in the 6.5x50 basket. They found it lacking and quickly brought out the 7.7 JAP

F
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
F
Incoming tide on the Brazos River, bull sharks would come up. We would sit in the rail road bridge and shoot the bastards with ball ammo. Real dirty water but you could the belly flash as they rolled over after a hit. My buddy had an 06 of course, got our stuff from Cookseys gun shop in Clute. Good times

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Originally Posted by moosemike
"We would've been better off with the 6mm Lee Navy"
Yeah right. The Japanese began WWII with all their eggs in the 6.5x50 basket. They found it lacking and quickly brought out the 7.7 JAP

You're talking about rounds that have almost twice the energy of our current battle rifle, squad marksman, and squad machine gun round.

They were (and are) certainly adequate with a suitable projectile.

Last edited by Llama_Bob; 07/13/21.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I agree that the '06 case is a great one for all-purpose hunting, not too much and not too little. If we're talking target shooting I like one that's milder but for hunting it's just about perfect.

Especially after it's AI-ed and necked down to 7 mm or 6.5.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Garandimal

Garandimal blathers...

Lama bob... is.

The .30-03/6, as both a military case for the M1 rifle, as well as a hunting case for a century of outstanding hunting cartridges, is a resounding success.

The 1:10 twist being optimum for ethical hunting ranges.

Too bad about your .300 squat-n-loud, what w/ it already bein' antiquated.

But then, who will miss the li'l loud-mouth, anyway.

GR

Last edited by Garandimal; 07/13/21.
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Originally Posted by smokepole

Especially after it's AI-ed and necked down to 7 mm or 6.5.

If you fix the case it gets better - imagine that laugh

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L

Garandimal blathers...

Lama bob... is.

The .30-03/6, as both a military case for the M1 rifle, as well as a hunting case for a decade of outstanding hunting cartridges, is a resounding success.

If you consider spending twice as much resouirces for no bennefit a "success" laugh

Hell, you probably actually think stupid [bleep] like that...

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
"The small case, excessive taper, and excessively steep shoulder of the .30-06 are facts"

Excessively steep shoulder?? The shoulder on your beloved WSM is 35 degrees, much steeper than, the '06 shoulder (17 degree, 30 minute). Once again, you have your "facts" confused. Climbed a steep hill lately?

BTW, I use a 270 WSM a lot, and enjoy it. But as a practical matter, I can see nothing it can do that my 270 WCFs can't. Marginally increase velocity? The animals cant tell the difference and the trajectory difference is not material at "normal" hunting range. oh, yeah, almost forgot: the action is .28" shorter. Wow,

Please explain how these marginal "improvements" would make the '06 a "more effective hunting round"? Yes, "steeper" shoulders, reduced taper, incremental MV increases are technically an improvement. But most are marginal improvements at best.

We can debate whether the government's decision to pick the '06 design over others was the best , and I'd probably agree with you. But how much difference would that have made in WW1 and WW2, etc? Certainly didn't make the 30/06 a "disaster".

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Garandimal blathers...

Lama bob... is.

The .30-03/6, as both a military case for the M1 rifle, as well as a hunting case for a century of outstanding hunting cartridges, is a resounding success.

If you consider spending twice as much resouirces for no bennefit a "success" laugh

Hell, you probably actually think stupid [bleep] like that...

Don't be so hard on your .300 squat-n-loud.

The .30-06 produces the same BBQ for a lot less.

... That's why it's still the king.

[Linked Image from 1.bp.blogspot.com]

GR

IC B3

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Guys
Y’all are having an intelligence battle with a fellow

Who is UNarmed !!

I’ve never read such foolishness per the 06 case.
I won’t waste my time further.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
yeah, we're just feeding the troll...

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
"The small case, excessive taper, and excessively steep shoulder of the .30-06 are facts"

Excessively steep shoulder?? The shoulder on your beloved WSM is 35 degrees, much steeper than, the '06 shoulder (17 degree, 30 minute). Once again, you have your "facts" confused.

Wrong direction rocket scientist. The shoulder of the WSM is superior to the 30-06. But that's sort of like saying water is wet, because as a hunting cartidge everything about the WSM is superior laugh

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
One of the things that didn't get brought up is real simple, cost. You don't see 300-400 dollar wsm's you do with 30-06 based cartridges. Ammo , cheapest box of 300's wsm's I ever saw was fed blue box at $33/ box. At the same time 30-06 and 270 were $18/ BOX . I don't see a 50-65% performance increase for the 300 wsm either but the cost increase is there. My point? Some ass clowns just get off trolling. Mb

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Excessively steep shoulder?? The shoulder on your beloved WSM is 35 degrees, much steeper than, the '06 shoulder (17 degree, 30 minute). Once again, you have your "facts" confused.

Wrong direction rocket scientist. The shoulder of the WSM is superior to the 30-06. But that's sort of like saying water is wet, because as a hunting cartidge everything about the WSM is superior laugh

So even the definition of “steep” is above your head? That explains a lot!

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by jwall
Guys
Y’all are having an intelligence battle with a fellow

Who is UNarmed !!

I’ve never read such foolishness per the 06 case.
I won’t waste my time further.

Jerry

exactly! Why are you guys debating such a dumbass? Why are so many of these guys posting in the fire? This place is getting really hard to read. Remember how it use to be?

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L

So even the definition of “steep” is above your head? That explains a lot!

You just keep beclowning yourself. It's great. You act like an clown, I laugh at you, and all the nostalgia nuthuggers can have a big circle jerk and tell eachother they shot a doe in '72 and boy did grandpa's -06 more or less work.

And I'll just keep laughing at you laugh

Last edited by Llama_Bob; 07/13/21.
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
yeah, we're just feeding the troll...

Moron would be more appropriate.

Old Corps

Semper Fi

FJB
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by CCCC
And, LBob, you can't seem to have an adult conversion involving differences of opinions without throwing out childish, condescending insults...

I just refuses to tolerate nostaligic nonsense. There are plenty of things that are old that are crap, and the -06 case happens to be one of them. If people want to engage on the technical merits of the design rather than blather about WWII that's different, but I'm unlikely to get many takers because it was and is an obviously inferior design both for military and hunting applications, abeit for different reasons.
LB, your haughty and condescending stance is telling, and a turn off to most thinking folks, especially when you offer nothing but "opinion" for your supposedly desired discussion of "technical merits". You inserted the fuzzy term "nostalgia" apparently as an intended means to generally criticize the actual knowledge and insights gained by hands-on efforts and outcomes experienced by thousands of shooters. Attacking the persons or the alleged "nostalgia" is weak and not productive - and certainly not related to any "technical merits". If you have half the brain and knowledge you pretend, you do know that "technical merits" are simply that - estimates of potential success based upon assumptions about comparative designs - not on-target outcomes. These "nostalgic" folks you decry are evidence based. And, it was you that blathered about military usefulness and flatly condemned the 30:06. What is your platform, anyway?

The small case, excessive taper, and excessively steep shoulder of the .30-06 are facts. They are not opinion. And they make the .30-06 less effective as a hunting round (and as a parent for hunting rounds) than it would otherwise be. You get less velocity, poor efficiency, and worse accuracy and reloadability than you would get with a better designed case.

Those are facts.

Now, if someone want to get all nostalgic that grandaddy was holding an -06 when he brought up the rear on Guadalcanal, well, that's their business. But it doesn't change the facts.
Sounds like more blather. I get the distinct impression that you are a WSM lover with a deep inferiority syndrome - its own form of nostalgia - and even through your love affair and investment you have noted the hype, the fading rep and dismal long term future of WSMs. Sometimes love is not easy.

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
And yet the WSMs are still better hunting cartridges in ever way than the -06. So I'll just stick with the better cartridge, and you can go jerk off the other nostalgia boys and everyone will be happy laugh

Page 5 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 11 12

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

161 members (35WhelenNut, 300_savage, 338reddog, 308xray, 16penny, 27 invisible), 2,016 guests, and 1,011 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,367
Posts18,488,268
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.