Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by hatari
Originally Posted by Llama_Bob
I mean it's got basically the same performance as an S550 Mustang GT.

James Bond did not drive a Mustang! wink

He actually drove a Mustang on two wheels IIRC.

GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
wife's boss had a Continental GT. It was in the shop a lot. There was a huge problem with the windshield wipers just not working. Warranty did not cover replacing the electronics that control that. He traded it in on a Mercedes AMG

Sam......

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I mean it's got basically the same performance as an S550 Mustang GT. If you find it luxurious, I could see it but really I'd rather have the Ford. Way eiasier to get more performance (whether straight line or road course) out of it. And the top interior is pretty nice.
And, which aspects of "performance" are you citing - those on paper. I would venture to guess that you have never driven a DB, at least to any significant extent of performance- or - if by some miracle you have, you probably have never done the same with a factory S550 Mustang GT. Please give us those actual driver experienced performance comparison facts.

To the OP - never a DB9 - would love it, but not to happen. But, yes to much earlier model DBs and three other Brit types. The later the model - the more challenging to tune/diagnose/repair/work upon and pay for some components. If you really want that DB(. not an easy decision in my view.

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Definitely a cool car, but... get ready for frequent and very expensive maintenance costs.

I'll say this once and you'd be well-served to listen:

In all the years they've been building 'em, the Limey's ain't made a reliable vehicle yet.

And I've owned quite a few: from a '64 3.8 MKII Jaguar to a '99 XJ Jag and multiple older Land Rovers. I'll never purchase another British vehicle...

Well, I wouldn't turn down a DB5 or Zatago if offered... or a Spitfire with a Merlin engine.

Last edited by High_Noon; 07/13/21.

l told my pap and mam I was going to be a mountain man; acted like they was gut-shot. Make your life go here. Here's where the peoples is. Mother Gue, I says, the Rocky Mountains is the marrow of the world, and by God, I was right.
- Del Gue
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Do you know why they quit making TV sets in Britain?

IC B2

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
They couldn't figure out how to make them leak oil.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by nyrifleman

Thoughts?

I'm thinking that I almost never see one in the physicians' parking lots at hospitals and medical centers.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The AM is swanky. They are just cool cars. Cant help with any firsthand seat time.

Since Jag was mentioned, I really like the F Type R. Same genre as the AM.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by CCCC
I mean it's got basically the same performance as an S550 Mustang GT. If you find it luxurious, I could see it but really I'd rather have the Ford. Way eiasier to get more performance (whether straight line or road course) out of it. And the top interior is pretty nice.
And, which aspects of "performance" are you citing - those on paper. I would venture to guess that you have never driven a DB, at least to any significant extent of performance- or - if by some miracle you have, you probably have never done the same with a factory S550 Mustang GT. Please give us those actual driver experienced performance comparison facts.

To the OP - never a DB9 - would love it, but not to happen. But, yes to much earlier model DBs and three other Brit types. The later the model - the more challenging to tune/diagnose/repair/work upon and pay for some components. If you really want that DB(. not an easy decision in my view.

There so many great car tests available it’s fairly easy to get an idea of how a car will perform.

In this case, a GT500 isn’t even necessary. A 5 year old GT350 crushed the OP’s DB9 lap time by 45 seconds at Nurburgring.
45 seconds is a freakin’ eternity.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I love anything Aston Martin, but would never own one....regardless of how much money I had.

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

IC B3

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by mathman

What's the problem... they hold 12 qts....probably you only need 6 qts....
but the extra 6 qts prove your point about the leaking...

I know Jags back in the 60s, were also 12 qts and specified 20W 50 Castrol.

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Originally Posted by MadMooner

In this case, a GT500 isn’t even necessary. A 5 year old GT350 crushed the OP’s DB9 lap time by 45 seconds at Nurburgring.
45 seconds is a freakin’ eternity.

Yeah comparing it to a GT350 isn't even close to fair. It's a reasonable comparison to a straight base model GT. Same HP, same weight, the base GT will have a hair better skidpad with the same tires.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by Seafire

I see my joke failed.

DMc Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Seafire

I see my joke failed.

Not at all! I laughed. You gotta have your hearing checked.

Make Gitmo Great Again!!
Who gave the order to stop counting votes in the swing states on the night of November 3/4, 2020?
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Comparing a Mustang of any vintage or pedigree to an Aston Martin is more than an apples to oranges comparison. Guys who are in the market for a DB9 usually aren't looking for a GT500 Mustang, and vice versa- two completely different worlds.

Never underestimate your ability to overestimate your ability.
Campfire Ranger
Online Sleepy
Campfire Ranger
I can't make sense of the Aston Martin thing. It seems to be a rich guy thing bragging about how much money he paid to have a shop build him a car. The new ones look cool for sure, but that new corvette seems cooler than any DB9....

Screw you! I'm voting for Trump again!

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the 24HCF.
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by MadMooner
The AM is swanky. They are just cool cars. Cant help with any firsthand seat time.

Since Jag was mentioned, I really like the F Type R. Same genre as the AM.

You can like what you like. Doesn't matter. A limey pos is still a pos.

A high school buddy of mine's father used to buy Jags. He always had 2 or 3 in the yard that wouldn't run.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Porsche for the win. My 2017 Boxster S flat azz scoots and goes from wicked (3.6 0-60, sub-12 quarter mile and 180 mph top end) to a pleasure to drive with the push of a button. Good on gas as well given the performance. Begs to be driven hard but just makes it easy.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
No doubt Jaguar has built some epic pieces of schite. I wouldn’t lump the newer F type in there though.

Sweet car, Ed! The 718 Boxster and Cayman are some of the best looking Porsches IMO.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Higginez
I can't make sense of the Aston Martin thing. It seems to be a rich guy thing bragging about how much money he paid to have a shop build him a car. The new ones look cool for sure, but that new corvette seems cooler than any DB9....

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^AGREED^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Last edited by 3dtestify; 07/14/21.
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

567 members (1minute, 1badf350, 12344mag, 163bc, 06hunter59, 204guy, 63 invisible), 2,632 guests, and 1,315 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,594
Posts18,473,485
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.