Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by StudDuck
Originally Posted by cra1948
I usually take a graduated approach, depending on how bad it looks, how valuable/important the gun is, and do I want to actually refinish it or just make it decently serviceable. If it doesn’t look too extreme, I’ll generally try a coarse, heavy cloth with some Kroil. Kano labs (makers of Kroil) also have a product called”Ex-Rust” that will remove rust. To get more aggressive, I like Brownell’s Oxpho blue applied gently with 0000 steel wool. Often that process can clean up/cover up spots of rust.

In your experience, does Ex-Rust affect the bluing underneath?

I have a lot of respect for Kano Labs and would be willing to give this a try as well.

I’ve never tried it on guns. I’ve used it on other things though, and it will darken steel. We actually used it for that purpose at one shop I worked in. I made up some steel pins as components of a device we made and, rather than send them out for chemical finishing, we just left them in a plastic bucket with ExRust, agitating it every little while. It provided an adequate finish. I don’t know if I’d use it on a highly polished, rust blued gun, but I wouldn’t hesitate to try it on a typical commercial/industrial finish such as is found on most production guns today.

Mathew 22: 37-39

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by navlav8r
The Big 45 pads work. I ordered some a couple of weeks ago after reading the comments above and they do what they say.

I did as well.

Glad to hear it, thanks for following-up.

24HCF in its entirety, is solely responsible for why my children do not have college funds, my mortgage isn't paid-off and why I will never retire early enough to enjoy the remainder of my life.

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Originally Posted by gunswizard
Frontier Big .45 metal cleaning pad is your friend when it comes to rust removal. Don't let anyone tell you that a pot scrubber is the same thing, they most dertainly ARE NOT ! The Frontier pad is made of a proprietary metal that will not remove blue.

Do Big 45 pads also work with stainless steel slides, or only blued barrels?

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Years ago I bought a pad that looks like a shiny Brillo pad. Back then it had no name but sounds like the Big 45 pads mentioned. I had a 7mm08 barrel that was covered with rust but no pitting. A good soaking of oil and a few minutes of rubbing with the pad and it looks great. Its on my favorite hunting rifle now and you'd never know it was a rusty mess years ago.

L
LFC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Pullet recomended 0000 steel wool saturated with WD40...takes off surface rust and will not harm bluing.

My buddy had a pristine blued Colt Python that developed a coat of surface rust sitting in his gun safe....he was scared to death when we went to the hardware store and bought the steel wool...took the rust off and the gun looked like new

Anytime I get a new to me used blued gun I take it out of the stock and clean it with 0000 steel wool wet with oil. You'll be amazed at the surface rust that will come off most any gun.

Do not forget to keep the steel wool pad and barrel wet with some kind of oil.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by LFC
Pullet recomended 0000 steel wool saturated with WD40...takes off surface rust and will not harm bluing.

My buddy had a pristine blued Colt Python that developed a coat of surface rust sitting in his gun safe....he was scared to death when we went to the hardware store and bought the steel wool...took the rust off and the gun looked like new

Anytime I get a new to me used blued gun I take it out of the stock and clean it with 0000 steel wool wet with oil. You'll be amazed at the surface rust that will come off most any gun.

Do not forget to keep the steel wool pad and barrel wet with some kind of oil.

I've always got a "ghosting" or whiteish ring around the rust I've removed with 0000 steel wool. I've always removed bluing with this method, even while keeping it wet. Perhaps I didn't use enough oil.

24HCF in its entirety, is solely responsible for why my children do not have college funds, my mortgage isn't paid-off and why I will never retire early enough to enjoy the remainder of my life.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Frontier 45.

While 0000 is a useful tool, it is steel and not suitable for blued firearms.

Don't ask me about my military service or heroic acts...most of it is untrue.

Pronoun: Yes, SIR !
L
LFC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
That is pure nonsense....0000 steel wool saturated with oil will remove light surface rust without hurting the bluing. I was told the procedure years ago by prominent gunsmith and friend in the Memphis area.

Once the rust has damaged the bluing or metal nothing will remove it where it's not noticeable....except re bluing.

Problem is you have to know the difference between light surface rust and rust that has set in.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by LFC

Problem is you have to know the difference between light surface rust and rust that has set in.

Makes sense.

I have both 0000 steel wool and Frontier 45 pads; I'll do a side-by-side comparison next opportunity.

L
LFC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Years ago I watched a Frontier 45 demo at a gunshow....took the bait hook line and sinker.

Also took the bait on the quick blue demos neither worked as good as their stagged demos.

I've been using Ezzox on my blued guns for 40 years and have never had to worry about rust.

I'm on my second or third quart....best place to buy it is on Ebay

IC B3

P
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
P

Hard to believe that the removal of any kind of rust from a blued surface using any materials or methods would be undectable.

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by LFC

I've been using Ezzox on my blued guns for 40 years and have never had to worry about rust.

Yep, great stuff. I've been using it for years.

I bought my oldest son a youth Remington 870 with the bead blast finish that will rust if you look at it. Started doing my research and bought some Eezox and never looked back. That youth 870 is still rust free and my oldest is now 27; he's been hunting with it for 20 years.

FWP Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Poconojack

Hard to believe that the removal of any kind of rust from a blued surface using any materials or methods would be undectable.

I have done it often but the final results do depend on how advanced the rust is.

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Use the edge of a real copper penny and WD-40, good wiping with Hoppes and a clean rag at finish.

Trump Won!
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Poconojack

I was a non believer until I bought a abused Weatherby Mark V with a scratched and rusted barrel. Frontier pad and broil and then ox-pho blue and it looked fantastic.

L
LFC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Had the first real need for my Frontier pad...yesterday. The is the barrel from a 1960's Browning T Bolt with what is referred to as "Salt Wood".
I was looking to trade for it when I saw a little shimmer of rust down inside the barrel channel....trade was no go....Guys a pretty good friend so I offered to take it home clean it up put a coat of varnish inside the stock. Sure didn't look this bad before I took it apart.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
I used the Frontier 45 pad on the bad spots then gave the rest of the gun a once over scrubbing of OOOO steel wool saturated in Ezzox....I plan on several coats of exterior grade varnish inside the stock and some Ezzox on the metal all The rust damage is done for now....the salt is still in the wood all you can hope for is to slow it down.

V
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
I notice on my blued guns the tips are rusted. Three guns were laying on a box in the basement and I did not notice the box would cause this rust? At least its not causing rust in the stainless barrels.
Looking around I found someone recommend Frontier Big 45 to remove rust. I have some Steel wool 0000 and read someone using a bore cleaner oil and this. But maybe I should get the Frontier Big 45.
Where are you ordering yours?

Time to look up creating a vertical stand and my rifles so this is step two lol.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by valad
I notice on my blued guns the tips are rusted. Three guns were laying on a box in the basement and I did not notice the box would cause this rust? At least its not causing rust in the stainless barrels.
Looking around I found someone recommend Frontier Big 45 to remove rust. I have some Steel wool 0000 and read someone using a bore cleaner oil and this. But maybe I should get the Frontier Big 45.
Where are you ordering yours?

Time to look up creating a vertical stand and my rifles so this is step two lol.

https://www.big45metalcleaner.com/

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Tagged.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I use bronze wool with Flitz. Follow up with Oxpho Blue, if necessary

Presidents come and go, but entitlements are forever - Michael Medved

Our forefathers would be shooting by now
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

268 members (264mag, 1_deuce, 204guy, 260Remguy, 30 invisible), 1,990 guests, and 1,155 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,755
Posts18,476,348
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.