-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
SMLE's are cool IMO. Two World Wars history and more detailed machining but you better have good eyes if you plan on using one as a shooter with the original open sights. Friend of mine has a Lithgow in very good condition made in the 40s with shiny strong rifling that doesn't show much wear. We took it and my No4 which shows noticeably more wear with strong not so shiny rifling to the range. Both of us, well into our 70s, were shooting the same factory FMJ 174 gr ammo. There was no comparison as to which one was easier fot either one of us to hit steel plates with or get better groups on paper with. I'm pretty sure the inherent accuracy was there for the SMLE but the receiver battle sights on the No4 were a lot easier for us to shoot considerably better.

GB1

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
I too have a No4 MkII that shoots very well, the sights are what make it. Ammo not too easy to find, but I roll my own..

Old Corps

Semper Fi

Get off my lawn.

FJB
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
They weren't designed for old guys ;- ) .

I have a bit of a soft spot for SMLEs, given that they were our service rifle for about 50 years, through several wars. I first shot one when I was about 13, in school cadets. We had SMLEs and Brens in the school armoury. I think that as open sights go they are among the best on a service rifle. They aren't as good as a well-designed peep such as that on a No 4 though. I have both.

The local range runs an Anzac day competition for .303s each year, which includes distances out to 300 m and various snap and rapid and moving target serials. The unmodified SMLEs run in a different class to the No 4s, though the top shots with the SMLE are usually not far behind those with the No 4. I've shot in both classes, and even now I back myself to hit a Fig. 11 consistently in good light with the SMLE at 300 m.

It was recognised even at the end of the 19th century, before the SMLE was adopted, that a peep was better for precision though, and over the years that the SMLE was used in competition a wide range of peep sights were sold and used, most requiring no modification, or perhaps a little bit of shaving the wood near the butt socket, to fit them. A fair number of these went to war too - there are reports for example of Anzac soldiers bringing them and using them at Gallipoli. Here's a link showing a good number of examples of these: https://www.leeenfieldresource.com/aperture-sights

I have used such sights. Central, Lane, Motty's and Mues in particular were common here, and are still around. Target peeps were also made for fitment to No 4s of course, as these replaced the SMLE in Britain not only for military use but also competition, and I have a Parker Hale PH5C myself.

What also helps greatly for the older gent, for target shooting, is a peep insert which allows you to stop down the aperture in good light, to enhance depth of field and sharpness - the one I have for the PH5C has 6 different sized apertures, and allows you to turn the rear to select the smallest one that still allows you to see the target according to the available light,. It works brilliantly for this. I've also used one with an iris, like a camera. Alternatively, if you want better results with the as-issued SMLE you could do well to get yourself a Merit Optical attachment for your shooting glasses, which does the same thing https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1015167397 . This will make it a lot easier to use those open sights - like being a young bloke again!

HTH

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Thanks for the info and the links. The Merit Optical at Midway for $60 seems like an affordable option for a non serious target shooter that wants to keep the rifle original.

Last edited by 43Shooter; 07/09/21.
F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Comparing the No1 (and older SMLE) sights to No4, is similar to 1903 and 1903A3. The later sights are far superior.

The No4 was also an improved and stronger design. My No1 was made in or around 1942 by BSA. As you know, Australia and India continued with the No1 design. Nothing wrong with the No1. (I am sure we will hear about that soon enough)

My No1 is fitted with a Parker Hale, no drill, rear aperture sights. That bring the gun to a whole new level. Expensive, but; worth it. This will not alter the gun.

You friend might want to try an EyePal stick on aperture. These go over you shooting eye on your glasses. They work very well. Simple and low cost solution for gun club shooting with any open sight rifle.

I also have an older Merit. I believe it is a Merit. Mine clips on the glasses, not a suction cup. It may offer some advantages. I find myself using the EyePal for ease of use. The current Merit, wont be a rock solid as the old design.

IC B2

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
I though so - Fine, print: "DISCONTINUED" for Merit attachment.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

572 members (10gaugeman, 1lessdog, 1minute, 160user, 10gaugemag, 1badf350, 54 invisible), 2,509 guests, and 1,322 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,474
Posts18,471,489
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.