Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Their website says they're in 46 states. Idaho is one of the other 4. Family Dollar is the big one in this area.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
I call them a Mini Walmart. Convenient and has basics. I pass five of them and two Walmarts on the way to the hunt club. Haven't been in a Family Dollar or Dollar Tree any time in the past several years. They have a retail model that works. Built one near the house last year and the parking lot always has cars. Mom and Pops have to offer something other than the basics or they are gone.

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
40 miles over a 5,000 ft pass, to Wal o' China mart, this community is very happy with Dollar General, and hoping they do expand into fresh food. Prices are very very good compared to the anal intrusion of a tiny regional grocery chain store here that has been gouging us for forty years.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
We’ve had a couple pop around here in the last two years. I find them pretty convenient.

"I Birn Quhil I Se" MacLeod of Lewis
I Burn While I See
Hold Fast MacLeod of Harris
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
If you go to their website, look at the store locator. They ask which format you want - Dollar General, Fedex, Redbox, Amerigas, and others. I don't know if that means they're part of the same company or if they just have some kind of agreement.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
IC B2

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Their Clover Valley store brand stuff is usually pretty decent, about on the level of the generic store brand stuff from groceries. But their block cheddar cheese sucks. Kroger or Walmart store brand cheese is better.

They occasionally get weird flavors of candy that no one else sells. Their orange creamsicle M&Ms are the best example and are actually pretty good.

W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
Like Richard Sear's plan.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J

There's a Dollar General store within less than 10 miles N-S-E-W of me, plus one Family Dollar. All stock most common major brands of dry and canned food, dairy products, frozen foods, some automotive products, snacks, housewares, greeting cards, toys, clothing, etc., etc., as well as their own DG store brands. A couple of the DGs stock some basic fresh fruit and veggies. A big Dollar General Market in a nearby town stocks all and more of the above plus fresh prepackaged meat and does one heck of a good business. Parking lot is almost always full on most afternoons and especially weekends.

Printed DG receipts have a $5 off $25 pretax purchase coupon on Saturdays, plus each week offer varying assortment of what they call online "Digital" coupons on different products, often amounting to some pretty health discounts.

(Local DG store is also a no charge FedEx package drop-off site.)

Family Dollar was bought out by Dollar Tree a few years back and closed or sold off a bunch of FD stores. They changed a few into DT stores and a few into combo DT/FD stores. The one local FD store is in a nice big new building, plenty of parking, cleaner and better organized than the DG store but overall a bit more expensive on same products than the local DG store. The DG and FD stores here are just a few blocks apart but the DG outsells the FD store by a good bit.

We used to have a couple of local "mom and pop" stores here. Both were privately owned but actually part of a franchised regional grocery chain they bought most stock through. Their prices kept getting more and more expensive, outdated products, etc., so little by little most locals opted to just buy daily essentials from them and do the bulk of their major grocery shopping in one of four nearby larger towns eventually leading them to close their doors.

Last edited by joken2; 07/17/21.
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Our DG SUCKS!

It's hardly ever open due to lack of staffing. The aisles are full of chidt that needs to be put away. You can't find someone to ring you up unless you turn mountain goat and crawl over a ton of [bleep] to find some overworked/underpaid trailer park princess buried in product trying clear an aisle. They built two more in crappier towns 9 miles in either direction that are WAY nicer and better staffed. As someone else said, it must depend on the manager and if that is the case, this "manager" needs to be gone yesterday.

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by slumlord
I think their plan is to never anyone be more than 7 miles from a DG. We have 4 within that and we are semi rural. At least it is for our regional population densities. Certainly that won’t apply in Jerkwater, USA population 120.

They are the only quickie type stores aside from 2 small gas stations that seemingly hang. One gas station has a Subway, kerosene/diesel, weekend BBQ pit.

Anyway, DG isn’t always a good bargain. It’s mostly convenience...DUH!

We have to trudge 20 miles of distance and 2 dozen red lights to get to a Walmart.

There is a Food Lion 10 miles away.

DG for a pack of buns, a gallon of milk, knockoff girl scout cookies or something bizarre like oh crap we need 3 cans of sweetened condensed milk for a recipe right the hell now.
There is rarely anything on sale at DG and you damn sure do not want to buy a Ray-O-Vac 9-V battery there for a TENS unit. lol
$5 a pop.

Ours finally got a beer license.

Be sweet if they had gas pumps like some other places on KY and southern Middle Tn.

One of the contractors DG uses to put up new buildings told me their business model was to catch them before they got to Walmart.

They bought one of those neighborhood Walmart stores with gas pumps, they keep gas about .20 cheaper than the Arab c stores.

IC B3

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
They are all over the place around here.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I saw my first Dollar General in North Dakota.It looked like it was about the biggest building in town . Where I live there is a Family Dollar.

I think it is visited quite often from the looks of the number of cars in the parking lot.

I have never been in it but my wife has a couple times & and she thinks it is okay.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Interesting video. Can't stand the scratchy schreechy voice of the expert gal only could listen to half of it.

W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
The local Dollar General had toilet paper when no one else did.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
[quote=irfubar]What the hell is a "dollar general" [quote]
Dollar General, Walmart's worst nightmare next to Amazon.

Last edited by Hastings; 07/17/21. Reason: spelling correction

Patriotism (and religion) is the last refuge of a scoundrel.

Jesus: "Take heed that no man deceive you."
Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
I’m sure they are taking some of Walleyworld’s business. Damn, I hate that!

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by BigDave39355

I think DG has a lot to due with the manager.

Some are spotless. Some look like a cyclone just went thru. Stuff in the floors.

The nearest DG in town is HORRIBLE. Always a wreck. Always empty shelves. Always with new stock in boxes in the aisles where you can't get around (and sitting there with no one putting it up). Been that way for years. Most of the others around here are quite nice. One, though, has had problems not even being able to stay open because they can't get anyone to work there.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Much needed in biden's America.......

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
They dedicate one entire aisle to Halloween, Easter, Ballentimes Day candy.

Hard to score, once a year stuff.

Stock up, stash in the freezer

Diabetics stay away for your own good.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by Happy_Camper

I like the folks that work at the local Dollar stores. They are courteous and most are friendly.
There's an elephant in this room that everyone is ignoring. He just lifted his tail.
Real Family owned and run stores are quickly becoming a thing of the past. I go downtown and it was thriving, had lots of foot traffic, little mom and dad stores a couple of years ago. Now it's like a ghost town.

While Beezos, the Walmarts and every other major corporation had their special "Essential Business" status, the sole proprietorships, partnerships and old general stores like my family owned, ran out of money to see what the next year might bring.

It’s impossible for mom and pop stores to compete on price, with the economy of scale that these chains have. Maybe they can compete on service or relationships, but that’s about it.

NRA Patron
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

550 members (1minute, 007FJ, 12344mag, 1Longbow, 10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 63 invisible), 2,421 guests, and 1,300 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,793
Posts18,496,170
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.