Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Doc,
Same here for the need for a low light scope. I have turret scopes but they are for range play. My hunting scopes have bolder reticle a and it pays off. GPO made a mistake naming their entry line Passion, which I understand they are correcting. I am looking forward to trying their Spectra 2.5x10.
GreggH

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by DugE
Mr. Journeyman,

I don’t mean to be disagreeable. But I disagree with your disagreement.

I can see more with my Zeiss Victory HT, Meopta Meostar, etc than I could with a 56mm NF. Actually, my Optika6 was better in lowlight. Someone can turn dials as long as they want. I will see more in lowlight with a capped turret Zeiss HT than the best NF.

The simple point is I can see longer with better glass.

I appreciate your wanting to discredit me. But it isn’t sticking. I know what I said and why. One statement doesn't contradict the other.

IDK why some folks lay in the weeds for the express purpose of putting someone in their place or exposing what liars they are.

I’m an honest man who shared my honest opinion.

If you are truly that obtuse, I will bow out...and like Bobby Bare, you can be "The Winner."

For [bleep] Sake, I praised your report, said I fully agree with your assertion that folk's eye's differ...The ONLY umbrage I took was when you said that I can not see though a different scope what you can through yours... I disagree, because If I can see a deer with my Leica Ultravids, I can kill him with an NXS or a top end x42 scope..Period..Fact!

We bought our place in Alabama just at 5 years ago, and I've hunted three full seasons, killing my 9 bucks, as well as 18 does and 60+ hogs. Which is a fraction of my annual hunting. Hell, I've been stuck in Europe and Asia the last year because of the Covid just to hunt. Maybe I'm shorting myself in what I shoot in Alabama though, so do me a favor as a recent Alabama (part year) resident...post up some pics of those big bucks I need a 56mm scope for... And I'm being serious, because around where I bought there are 2 schools of thought, with no middle ground...You either need a 56mm Swaro or Zeiss, or you "only" need a frickin' Bushnell.

Again, I'm serious...I really want to take advantage of what there is to offer here... I'm a beginner at the way folks prefer to hunt here. But I'm also serious that I've had 20/15 vision most of my life and I can see to shoot well beyond legal hours both in the am and pm.... EXACTLY as YOU said...because our eyes differ...

You can no more tell someone how to do something you've never done, than you can come back from somewhere you've never been...
D
DugE Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
I don’t know where you bought in AL. I know what you call a “fact period” is not my experience nor the experience of super smart guys who trained me. I can see deer in my binos 25 min after sunset that I couldn’t with a 2-8x42 Duralyt. Owned it. Lived it. I have mostly 56mm obj now, some 50mm.

I’ve read repeatedly how useless my setups are. But, much wealthier and smarter folks than me have the same large objectives.

As far as posting pics, I’m not the one claiming to be the prolific hunter. I’ve been blessed with some really nice trophies. Only one of them really demanded 56mm. But, I’m glad I had it because it was required. My best buck was/is a compound bow kill.

I’m glad for your successes. Congratulations on your purchases, travels, and multiplicity of kills.

I don’t work for any optics or rifle or ANY sporting goods company. I gave an opinion on the internet. Lesson learned.

Have a great week.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Weak...just post your last nine bucks over the last three years...

Last edited by Journeyman; 07/18/21.

You can no more tell someone how to do something you've never done, than you can come back from somewhere you've never been...
D
DugE Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
Of all the things I’m afraid of being, weak isn’t one.

Of all the things I need to accomplish… proving myself to a stranger on the internet isn’t one.

Maybe Bobby Bare can sing about you now!

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Typical poseur...

RTR

Retards Trying Reasoning

D
DugE Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
Your responses are getting more mature by the minute. I’m really feeling the pressure to prove myself to you now.

Good work!!!

I’ve not felt this close to middle school in years. Maybe you can talk about my Mom next.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Dude, stop while you're behind.
YOU said one's eyesight matters.
I have 20/15 eyesight.
Why are you arguing against yourself?

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by ruraldoc
Thanks for your report on the GPO scope. I have not tried one but own most of the others you mentioned

People who don’t live in Alabama don’t get that a lot of our hunting is at last light in very dim spots.

Turrets are mostly useless. Low light performance and low light reticles are everything here.

Thanks for your report, I understand what you are trying to say

Likewise, thanks for the report. This coming from someone that before reading glasses had 20/10 and 20/12 left eye vision.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by JGRaider
I was very clear about what I was lauding, optical quality. I attempted to be very clear and honest about that.

Maybe I should’ve started with this disclaimer: I am not an expert. I am an enthusiast.

I was only posting about the quality I saw in the glass, knowing some may find it pointless and mock me.

As for the truck analogy. I don’t agree with your assessment of the review. I drive trucks. I look through scopes. I told what happened after looking trough it. You found it useless. Someone else will find it helpful.

I hope everyone has a great day!

Blessings!!!

Oh, and, RTR!

I wouldn't worry one second what these clowns have to say about your choice of gear. If it pleases you, that's all that matters. I quit caring what people thought of my stuff years ago. Good luck with that GPO, I'm betting you'll love shooting and using it, just like I do my Tract Toric. They could be made in the same place for all I know. That Jensen dude at GPO knows a thing or two about optics and such, as he ran Zeiss sport optics for years.

+ 1

IC B3

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
OP good review. It's a crying shame this post has become nothing more than a grown mans pissing match.

H
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
H
It IS good to hear more first-hand about them.

However, ‘you hunt in Alabama, so low light is HUGE’?

It USED TO BE important, until legal ended 30 min after sunset.

Now, any decent 20mm obj LPV will get most past last legal, in almost any light in AL. There’s certainly no ‘need’ for more than 42mm of obj, unless you’re trying to shoot late past 400 on bean fields, or night hunt hogs with a day scope.

D
DugE Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
First, thanks for all the kind responses here and via private message. There are some really cool folks here.

hh4whiskey thanks for your comment. I agree with your assessment on the current legal shooting time basically meaning a good scope will suffice unless… I am in the unless category.

2 things that may shed a lil more light on my statement: (pun intended) My best places to hunt are in swampy areas that are mostly wooded. The greenfield I hunt the most has good deer. It is a narrow field that runs left and right with thick woods on both sides. The best deer are usually about 335 yards to my left and 175-250 yards to the right. The “field” isn’t wide at all. It’s more like a 10 yard wide lane where they cross at 335 yards. Not a lot of light in that scenario.

On the favorite field my son hunts, the absolute best big buck spots are in two narrow fingers that come off the field into the woods. They are planted. They are narrow. They are good. At last legal light they are dark.

As for the woods spots or places we climb, everyone’s plight there is equal. Light fades in those spots quickly.

I’m not complaining about our property. It’s awesome and we are blessed to have it. We see a lot of deer in various times of day at all distances. But the good bucks that live on and/or cross the property act like wild animals that don’t want to be killed. They keep crossing in spots where it’s hard to see them.

My sons and I have a blast prepping, planting, feeding, and hunting the small property we have. We take special pains in processing and preparing the venison. Each son takes special pride in whose deer we are eating. This is a pleasure for us. That’s all.

I don’t mean to imply in any way that a man shouldn’t hunt with what he likes and what he can afford. I want people to enjoy themselves. If you’re happy. I’m happy.

Sorry if that was too long. I suffer from bouts of long-winded-ness at times.

Again, thanks for all the comments, public and private. I hope all of you have a good day!

W
WAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by huntsman22
I call BS.... It's all in the cones.....

[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]

It was all fun and games until someone ended up in a cone! LOL

Life Member NRA, RMEF, American Legion, MAGA. Not necessarily in that order.
W
WAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Your responses are getting more mature by the minute. I’m really feeling the pressure to prove myself to you now.

Good work!!!

I’ve not felt this close to middle school in years. Maybe you can talk about my Mom next.

DugE,

Don’t feel shat upon on the Optics forum. It matters not what you post as someone will turn it into a clown show sooner rather than later. Phallic worship, homoerotic behavior, and personal insults from the peanut gallery are bound to erupt!

Happy Trails and RTR

Last edited by WAM; 07/20/21.

Life Member NRA, RMEF, American Legion, MAGA. Not necessarily in that order.
D
DugE Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
Thanks WAM. Funny stuff there.

RTR!

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
DugE, you nailed it in my opinion.......you're having fun, and with your family makes it even better! Good hunting to you guys this year.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
D
DugE Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
JGRaider,

Thank you, Sir!

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

308 members (10Glocks, 10ring1, 12344mag, 160user, 10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 27 invisible), 1,666 guests, and 1,075 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,000
Posts18,481,252
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.