Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Totally off the wall topic, if you're interested in a stupid topic not about politics or the demise of America. I was visiting my sister and watched her load her washing machine with laundry. It was a typical top loading machine which I prefer personally. I know there are advantages to the front loaders but I still like the old school washers. She loaded all the clothes in there, let it fill with water, poured a cap of soap in and started it up. Probably sounds normal to most but I usually do the exact opposite.

The whole reason soap works is not just the suds but because it changes the surface tension of the water, allowing the water and suds to permeate through the fibers of the clothes and do it's job. So for a typical size load of laundry, I will usually do this... set the clothes aside, fill the washer half full of water, put in the soap, and close the lid letting the machine start with no clothes inside for about 2 minutes. By this time, the water is fully conditioned, I toss in the clothes and plunge them in with my hands and resume the wash cycle.

I tend to use about 50-75% less soap this way, it cleans the clothes better, and they rinse more thoroughly. I know it's a stupid topic but I was just doing a couple loads of clothes and I was wondering if anyone else did this same technique. Personally, I've never seen anyone else do it but I'm sure there are. Either way, it saves a LOT of soap if that matters to you. I just used about 1/8th of a lid of soap and it was more than enough.

If you have a front loader, I found that the cheapest powder soap works way better than the expensive liquid soaps marketed for these kinds of machines. When I had a front loader, after a few months of using liquid soap, my clothes stunk right after getting washed. I think the fats in the liquid were leaving a residue in the drum of the washer and turning rancid over time. It took me 3 cycles of the machine "cleaning" mode to get it right. After that, I switched to old school cheap powder soaps and never had the problem of stinky clothes again.

Progressives are the most open minded, tolerant, and inclusive people on the planet, as long as you agree with everything they say, and do exactly as you're told.

W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
That's my wife's department.

Carry on.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by wabigoon
That's my wife's department.

Carry on.

Hahaha I don't have one of those wife things so...

Progressives are the most open minded, tolerant, and inclusive people on the planet, as long as you agree with everything they say, and do exactly as you're told.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I use the pod type soap in my top loader. It’s the best soap I’ve ever used in a clothes washing machine. Same thing for my dishwasher, I use the pod type soap, it’s the best dishwasher soap I’ve ever used as well.

Every day on this side of the ground is a win.
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
I used to do things like that when I had an older top loader that allowed for it. Washing doesn't take nearly as much soap as the soap sellers' directions would have you believe.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by JakeBlues
Totally off the wall topic, if you're interested in a stupid topic not about politics or the demise of America. I was visiting my sister and watched her load her washing machine with laundry. It was a typical top loading machine which I prefer personally. I know there are advantages to the front loaders but I still like the old school washers. She loaded all the clothes in there, let it fill with water, poured a cap of soap in and started it up. Probably sounds normal to most but I usually do the exact opposite.

The whole reason soap works is not just the suds but because it changes the surface tension of the water, allowing the water and suds to permeate through the fibers of the clothes and do it's job. So for a typical size load of laundry, I will usually do this... set the clothes aside, fill the washer half full of water, put in the soap, and close the lid letting the machine start with no clothes inside for about 2 minutes. By this time, the water is fully conditioned, I toss in the clothes and plunge them in with my hands and resume the wash cycle.

I tend to use about 50-75% less soap this way, it cleans the clothes better, and they rinse more thoroughly. I know it's a stupid topic but I was just doing a couple loads of clothes and I was wondering if anyone else did this same technique. Personally, I've never seen anyone else do it but I'm sure there are. Either way, it saves a LOT of soap if that matters to you. I just used about 1/8th of a lid of soap and it was more than enough.

If you have a front loader, I found that the cheapest powder soap works way better than the expensive liquid soaps marketed for these kinds of machines. When I had a front loader, after a few months of using liquid soap, my clothes stunk right after getting washed. I think the fats in the liquid were leaving a residue in the drum of the washer and turning rancid over time. It took me 3 cycles of the machine "cleaning" mode to get it right. After that, I switched to old school cheap powder soaps and never had the problem of stinky clothes again.

The soaps are probably saphonated oil. It turns rancid in water eventually. I've forgotten and left it soak two days and that quick it can start to smell.
Try a bleach or vinegar or ammonia wash to get rid of it. Don't mix.

The smell should go away right after rinse cycle.

I use your method.
Water fill. Agitate and add soap . A little goes a long way when I use the non scented kind like biopak. Right now I'm using up an old store of shampoo dad got on sale twenty years ago. It works too. Twice what I use for hair will clean a big load. Using more just means that it might not all rinse out as well.
If the load is heavily soiled, then I soak it overnight and start the load at daybreak. Normal cycle is ok for socks, but too rough on some clothes. It'll stretch cotton and sometimes tear up so delicate cycle or just run manually for a short time on regular.

Spin hard twice, then hang out to dry. Shake and fold/ hang in closet.

Last edited by Happy_Camper; 07/17/21.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by antlers
I use the pod type soap in my top loader. It’s the best soap I’ve ever used in a clothes washing machine. Same thing for my dishwasher, I use the pod type soap, it’s the best dishwasher soap I’ve ever used as well.

Isn't that the stuff kids these days like to eat?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Happy_Camper
Yeah, I think they were eating the laundry detergent one’s.

Every day on this side of the ground is a win.
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter

Yeah the same generation that the schools taught that Communism is cool.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
We use liquid.
I let enough water in to get it up into the basket, then push the cup of detergent under the incoming water. It mixes as it washes out.

Throw in the clothes and go.

Pretty sure the females don't mess around that much.

Our clothes get clean.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Yeah, I think they were eating the laundry detergent one’s.

I can't even find Tide Pod Challenges any more.
I wonder if liberal parents are actually teaching their teens that they are used for washing clothes?

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna

W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
Another job that's much easy today.[Linked Image from cdn0.rubylane.com]

W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
I can't even find a picture of an old gas engine powered washing machine.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Busy Bee LOL

W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
Gas washing machines were used well before electric power was available.

The 49'er gold rushers hated washing clothes. They thought is was demeaning, and woman's work.

The Chinese would do it, hence the stereotype, Chinese Laundry.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by slumlord

christ, I just puked

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
LOL

J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
Fugg....now the city folk have fugged up washing your clothes.

Why does everything have to be so complicated to a city slicker?

I am MAGA.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Powder gets added to the empty machine, clothes thrown in and then machine turned on.

liquid gets poured on over the clothes (dry) then machine gets turned on.

WTF has time to stand around and wait for the machine to half fill, add soap, let it fill, then load clothes? smile

MAGA
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

599 members (1badf350, 10Glocks, 1lessdog, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 1936M71, 58 invisible), 2,587 guests, and 1,229 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,937
Posts18,498,817
Members73,983
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.