-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
fought a mink on 6lb test mono one time. he broke off and runnedoft with my 12 inch brown.

the consolidation of the states into one vast republic, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of that ruin which has overwhelmed all those that have preceded. Robert E Lee
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Some years ago I shot a moose in the afternoon. We quartered it and went back to the truck for a toboggan and packs. There were fresh bear tracks in the area so we had to get it out that night or risk losing it. When we got back to the moose after dark, a pine marten had staked a claim on it. It was hilarious watching his antics as he tried to run us off. The hide was lying there frozen to the snow. My partner was at one end of it and the marten grabbed the other end and tried to take off with it. You can guess how successful it was at dragging a frozen down moose hide. He had his teeth in it and was trying to drag it backwards, throwing snow with all 4. When we were done and leaving, he was up on the rib cage shaking a fist at us - "and don't come back you thieving scumballs!"

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Mink run in herds... Got this while steelhead fishing last year.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Great video. Well except the shirtless guy at the end…

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Mink are hard on yard birds. Little things can get into a coop and turn a bunch of chickens into meat pretty quick.

They sure don't need much of an opening.

Smelly bastards too.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
IC B2

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Originally Posted by Steve
Had a mink in our front yard one day about a year ago. We're about 500 yards from the nearest pond/crick. It must have been looking for new digs.

Steve
I had one swim up to my canoe and try to get in while I was duck hunting on the Willamette. It was a little weird

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by longarm
Originally Posted by Steve
Had a mink in our front yard one day about a year ago. We're about 500 yards from the nearest pond/crick. It must have been looking for new digs.

Steve
I had one swim up to my canoe and try to get in while I was duck hunting on the Willamette. It was a little weird

I could believe that.

Carpe' Scrotum
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by ingwe
No doubt. In the old days I tried trapping mink back east, squirrel was the preferred bait.

No doubt at all they'd eat a PD.

ya never know.. maybe it was just wanting to rape a Prairie Dog because it was horny and prairie dogs were all that it was seeing at the time..

I've seen a raccoon humping a beagle before...and the beagle just stood there and let it do it...

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by longarm

I was sitting on a log on a PA trout stream tying a fly or leader or something and had been pretty quiet. Heard nails on the log and looked left to see this mink hauling ass down the log. Ran right across my legs and into the water at the other end. eek It was over so quickly I didn't even have time to jump or even make a move or hardly make as sound (which was less like a scream and more like a giant intake of breath).

If something on the internet makes you angry the odds are you're being manipulated
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
As noted, mink are found near water, usually. Prairie dogs not, usually. I'd strongly suspect that what was seen was a ferret, which live in PD colonies and prey on the "dogs" all the time. Here in Utah and Wyoming, the conservation depts are trying to re-introduce the endangered black-footed ferret to PD colonies to protect the species.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

IC B3

M
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
As noted, mink are found near water, usually. Prairie dogs not, usually. I'd strongly suspect that what was seen was a ferret, which live in PD colonies and prey on the "dogs" all the time. Here in Utah and Wyoming, the conservation depts are trying to re-introduce the endangered black-footed ferret to PD colonies to protect the species.

No, it was absolutely a mink. Goodness. I'll try to get a picture of the area someday.

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Saw an otter grab a silver salmon which had been snagged and was hanging in the current. Otter won, breaking the guys line and ran up under a brush pile to eat.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by simonkenton7
I've heard that minks are real bad asses. Diminutive bad asses.

They don't stand up to 44mag very well.........It was personal. wink

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

M
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
Saw an otter grab a silver salmon which had been snagged and was hanging in the current. Otter won, breaking the guys line and ran up under a brush pile to eat.

Last year I seed an otter chewing on a roadkill deer, just an otter's throw from the Missouri River. I regret not starting a thread...

--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Boomer, I defer to your eyewitness account.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
Boomer, I defer to your eyewitness account.

Well, yah. grin

--- Kid Rock 2022

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
It's common for people to mix up mink and pine martens. They're about the same size and general shape but martens are a bit more like a cat and have bigger ears and fuzzy tails. Otherwise they look very much alike.

pine marten
[Linked Image from coniferousforest.com]

mink
[Linked Image from images.takeshape.io]

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
M
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Although I have spent time in the right places, I have never seen a marten. Buddy said he saw what had to be a ringtail in SW Oregon. Haven't seen one of those either. Or a dall or stones sheep or muskox or polar bear...

--- Kid Rock 2022

M
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Fisher for reference.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

--- Kid Rock 2022

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Pugs,
Yowza!

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

614 members (1Longbow, 12344mag, 17CalFan, 1beaver_shooter, 06hunter59, 160user, 64 invisible), 2,352 guests, and 1,305 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,137
Posts18,484,018
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.