C
Tennessee has already banned this exact practice

Welcome to TN - patron state of shootin’ stuff
GB1

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I don't consider a cell service capable trail camera to be too much different.

But if they are legal in your state that makes it all good I guess. Personally I just go hunting, don't need to kill the biggest animal in the woods at all costs.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
My personal approach is that to be interesting, sport hunting must involve some form of challenge and using all the technology available would turn hunting into an unnatural, boring act.

Not that I need to run naked with a spear in my had but I feel like we need to draw the line somewhere.

With hunting so much under scrutiny these days I feel like using drones is the sort of thing that does not help strengthen our position.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard
In a very basic way a spotting scope is a technological extension of the human eye. That's what a drone is.

Not even remotely the same. By your logic the drone is the same as a scope or binoculars. Except the fact that with optics you can only see the area you walked or drove your ass too of course terrain dependent. With the drone depending on battery life you can cover countless miles of hills from one spot, totally runs afoul of fair chase principles.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Pappy348
Originally Posted by AKwolverine
Line of sight vs motorized mechanical advantage with steerable optics.

Funny how some get to the point where they purposely increase the challenge of taking their game, while others never stop trying to make it easier, or surer.

It's interesting to see where people draw the line between embracing technology and eschewing it, and why.

I think people can identify somewhat with game animals and are more inclined to want to “play fair” with them. Fish, not so much.

I think drones are great tools for some things, but the potential for abuse is considerable particularly as regards privacy. Never saw one buzzing around my digs, but suspect a dose of Less-Lethal plastic buckshot might be a good way to handle it without endangering anyone. There might even be some of that lying around here somewhere, maybe.

What fresh Hell is this?
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Ignoring law, ethics are largely personal. And traditional.
Just read stuff on this site.

Otherwise good guys are ready to fight over some stupid hunting method
or another. All because they only know what's common in their area.
And judge everything through what they know.

Personally, and in theory only,
I don't like the idea of using a drone
to locate game.

Would have no issue using one after the shot, to find down or wounded game.
Chasing a wounded animal with one would be despicable.

Using one to look at animals first located by eyeball?
In season? Out?
Scouting or just observing?
Trying to acclimate them to it for later exploitation? Hell no!

Moving away from theory, into the real world?
No. Allowing them in any way would allow abuse.

In Pa?
When our annual game law book has ads for drones, legality will
be within 3 years. When I saw ads for inlines I wondered "WTF, we
can't use them in blackpowder, and no one will buy one to rifle hunt".

Within 2 years we had a season for them.

When I saw ads for crossbows, "Hmmm, The fix is in. Money has been
payed. They are coming". And within 2 years, legal. Across the board.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Notwithstanding any applicable laws that may affect the legalities, would you consider it unethical to use a drone in the place of a spotting scope to locate game. Please explain whatever position you take.

I actually don't care what someone else does so long as it isn't on my property.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
I was watching an episode of Wicked Tuna and one of the crews used an airplane to spot schools with and then directed them to it. Kinda cheating but legal. I have used a drone to take aerial photos and videos of my hunting property but I couldn’t imagine using it on an actual hunt. At what point do we say enough is enough with technology?

Guns don't kill people, it's mostly the bullets
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Notwithstanding any applicable laws that may affect the legalities, would you consider it unethical to use a drone in the place of a spotting scope to locate game. Please explain whatever position you take.

Yes. First and foremost a competent drone pilot could find, flush, and "drive" a target animal right to themselves.

Take away the above and my answer and look at it from a pure "optical" perspective and yes, IMO, it's still unethical.

I live in some of the flattest country in all of the USA. A harvested wheat or soybean field from the road "looks" pancake flat. That said, there are folds, ditches, and just enough natural topography that animals learn to hide where they cannot be seen from horizontal viewing angles even with an absence of cover like CRP, woods, tree-rows, or cattail sloughs which make up the bulk of our game's habitat. Corn harvest, deer rut, and our deer gun season typically all run at the same time in mid-late Nov. Corn stubble prior to being flailed or disced down can hide a lot of deer from a horizontal angle, but, from vertical, nearly every deer would be visible. Elevated stands/blinds help a bit, but nothing like "A view from the Top" looking essentially straight down onto a landscape.

Lastly, we go back to my 1st statement regarding the ability to drive game with the drone and discuss how that potentially effects private land boundaries and driving game OUT of a parcel you don't own onto a parcel you own or have the ability to hunt. If someone get's caught driving say bighorn sheep, mountain goats, or wolves out of YellowStone, Glacier, or any other number of National Parks out onto public/private ground where they CAN hunt, there'll be a public backlash the likes of which hunters have never seen.

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by AKwolverine
In a very basic way a spotting scope is a technological extension of the human eye. That's what a drone is.

That’s a hell of a leap, Paul.

How so? I am sitting on the porch of a condo right now. There is a hill about a mile away. I can't see the deer that feed on it with my naked eye. I can set my spotting scope up, and that allows me to see that which I could not otherwise see. If I had a drone rather than a spotting scope, and I used it to see deer I couldn't see with my naked eye, how is that different? It's simply another form of optical technology that serves as an extension of the human eye.

Logical and good answer.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by horse1
If someone get's caught driving say bighorn sheep, mountain goats, or wolves out of YellowStone, Glacier, or any other number of National Parks out onto public/private ground where they CAN hunt, there'll be a public backlash the likes of which hunters have never seen.

It can't get worse than it is now. The anti's use any and everything to stop us. Doing what you posted would be no more than one more thing for them.

Everyday Hunter
X
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
X
New drone rules by our Gbmint say you cant fly a drone more than 400' above where it takes off from and you MUST be able to maintain sight of it at all times.
So its a moot point f you are following the law..
YMMV

How can I tell you bye if you wont leave?
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger

Yes. First and foremost a competent drone pilot could find, flush, and "drive" a target animal right to themselves.

Take away the above and my answer and look at it from a pure "optical" perspective and yes, IMO, it's still unethical.

I live in some of the flattest country in all of the USA. A harvested wheat or soybean field from the road "looks" pancake flat. That said, there are folds, ditches, and just enough natural topography that animals learn to hide where they cannot be seen from horizontal viewing angles even with an absence of cover like CRP, woods, tree-rows, or cattail sloughs which make up the bulk of our game's habitat. Corn harvest, deer rut, and our deer gun season typically all run at the same time in mid-late Nov. Corn stubble prior to being flailed or disced down can hide a lot of deer from a horizontal angle, but, from vertical, nearly every deer would be visible. Elevated stands/blinds help a bit, but nothing like "A view from the Top" looking essentially straight down onto a landscape.

Lastly, we go back to my 1st statement regarding the ability to drive game with the drone and discuss how that potentially effects private land boundaries and driving game OUT of a parcel you don't own onto a parcel you own or have the ability to hunt. If someone get's caught driving say bighorn sheep, mountain goats, or wolves out of YellowStone, Glacier, or any other number of National Parks out onto public/private ground where they CAN hunt, there'll be a public backlash the likes of which hunters have never seen.

I hadn't thought about people using them to drive game. I reckon down here in the south the dog hunters would find that highly unethical.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck
Ignoring law, ethics are largely personal. And traditional.
Just read stuff on this site.

Otherwise good guys are ready to fight over some stupid hunting method
or another. All because they only know what's common in their area.
And judge everything through what they know.

Personally, and in theory only,
I don't like the idea of using a drone
to locate game.

Would have no issue using one after the shot, to find down or wounded game.
Chasing a wounded animal with one would be despicable.

Using one to look at animals first located by eyeball?
In season? Out?
Scouting or just observing?
Trying to acclimate them to it for later exploitation? Hell no!

Moving away from theory, into the real world?
No. Allowing them in any way would allow abuse.

In Pa?
When our annual game law book has ads for drones, legality will
be within 3 years. When I saw ads for inlines I wondered "WTF, we
can't use them in blackpowder, and no one will buy one to rifle hunt".

Within 2 years we had a season for them.

When I saw ads for crossbows, "Hmmm, The fix is in. Money has been
payed. They are coming". And within 2 years, legal. Across the board.

Those are some interesting thoughts. You know, a lot of fish and game departments are looking for ways to draw new hunters into the mix. As you have identified, we have seen quite a bit of technological "creep." Back in the day, it was traditional muzzle loaders only. Then they allowed in-lines. Then they allowed crack barrel single shots in certain calibers. I'd never use a drone in the place of a spotting scope, but when I try to articulate just why, I come up short. It crosses a line I cannot define. I guess that's the way it works with values and beliefs.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I think you are being sarcastic.

Even though you are right.

The guys whose dogs drive deer of posted property towards their guns
would be pissed to find "some SOB using a drone to drive deer".

And that illustrates my above post.

Flint vs percussion vs inline vs smokeless frontloader.

Longbow vs recurve vs compound vs crossbow.
Ironic that crossbow Is older than compound.

I laugh at archers especially.
Guys at work, dropping $1500+ annually in a rapidly depreciating tool.
"Gotta buy the fastest/bestest bow" outfit it with the latest sights, silencers,
whatever arrow gives the newest advantage, cutting edge broadheads....
In pursuit of their traditional primitive sport.

Whatever floats the boat.

Untill they start on crossbows!

Then, I can't keep my mouth shut.
The hypocrisy is unreal .
And I point that out.

(No, I don't use a crossbow)

Last edited by Dillonbuck; 07/20/21.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
This is like the CB.

We are walking on each other.
My last post was in response to your earlier one

Last edited by Dillonbuck; 07/20/21.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H

I hadn't thought about people using them to drive game. I reckon down here in the south the dog hunters would find that highly unethical.

You can't control a dog's path nor how a dog trails or runs game with a remote. A talented drone pilot could make a deer dance a jig.

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck
I think you are being sarcastic.

Even though you are right.

The guys whose dogs drive deer of posted property towards their guns
would be pissed to find "some SOB using a drone to drive deer".

And that illustrates my above post.

Flint vs percussion vs inline vs smokeless frontloader.

Longbow vs recurve vs compound vs crossbow.
Ironic that crossbow Is older than crossbow.

I laugh at archers especially.
Guys at work, dropping $1500+ annually in a rapidly depreciating tool.
"Gotta buy the fastest/bestest bow" outfit it with the latest sights, silencers,
whatever arrow gives the newest advantage, cutting edge broadheads....
In pursuit of their traditional primitive sport.

Whatever floats the boat.

Untill they start on crossbows!

Then, I can't keep my mouth shut.
The hypocrisy is unreal .
And I point that out.

(No, I don't use a crossbow)

That's a good response. As soon as someone sues the word "should" they become like the government and step on other folk's toes.

Everyday Hunter
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by cotis
Tennessee has already banned this exact practice

Other states have too.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Depends on where and what I’m doing.

For CA I might use a drone for scouting deer, as there is usually very few of them around. But probably not for hunting in CA or other states with better deer,elk, or moose populations.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

115 members (44mc, 35, 21, 358wsm, 6mmbrfan, 406_SBC, 15 invisible), 1,521 guests, and 925 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,243
Posts18,485,950
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.