Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
I have a short barreled S&W 586 chambered to 38 Special.

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Didn't have much use for a 38 special with a 9MM and .357 Mag on hand. A S&W 38 Chief's Special changed that.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

You're Welcome At My Fire Anytime

S
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by chlinstructor
Id buy the S&W 66. The New Charter Arms you asked about are not bad. For a Charter Arms. But it’s no S&W, obviously.

When I started looking for a replacement for the Model 64, I had no knowledge of the Model 66. The frame is perfect, IMO. I will be getting one.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
Member - Professional Outdoor Media Association of Canada
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I like Smiths (old ones) and Colt DAs (the ones before the Python) just fine.

But hasn't anyone here ever had a RUGER Security Six, Speed Six, or Police Service Six? Anywhere but CA (#@!!&***!) they are available at good prices and you can't break 'em. I've had just about all the classic Colt and S&W .38s and 357s except a Registered Magnum, and I wouldn't trade my Security Six .38 (ex-US) or .357 Police Service Six for any of 'em.

Was Mike Armstrong. Got logged off; couldn't log back on. RE-registered my old call sign, Mesa.
FNG. Again.
Mike Armstrong
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Steve Redgwell
Originally Posted by chlinstructor
Id buy the S&W 66. The New Charter Arms you asked about are not bad. For a Charter Arms. But it’s no S&W, obviously.

When I started looking for a replacement for the Model 64, I had no knowledge of the Model 66. The frame is perfect, IMO. I will be getting one.

I'm a big fan of the 66.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
IC B2

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by Pugs
Originally Posted by gnoahhh
Originally Posted by cotis
Where are you guys finding bullets to reload these? I am looking for DEWCs or SWCs.

Geez, I'm glad I got into casting my own .38 bullets two generations ago. Haven't had to shop for .38 bullets or sweat shortages, ever.

I'm glad I have a friend like Gary (Gnoahhh) who showed me and others how to cast this winter. grin Once this "crisis" is over I'll be acquiring all the stuff to cast on my own. Another fun thing to do when I retire.

be careful with that, i have gallon jars with lead bullets. i know i have enough to last a life time for some common calibers like .38.
i never sweated the .22lr shortage, when i could make .357

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by RoninPhx
Be careful with that, i have gallon jars with lead bullets. i know i have enough to last a life time for some common calibers like .38.
i never sweated the .22lr shortage, when i could make .357

It was buying the Colt Officer Match in .32 S&W that made me get interested. Lovely gun to shoot but no bullets to be found. Luckily Gary has a good mold for it.

If something on the internet makes you angry the odds are you're being manipulated
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Been casting since 1975, easy to build a good inventory. The real trick is to build a bullet trap and/or a reclaimable backstop so you can reclaim your bullets to recast them
When you get to a point where your regular practicing at the same backstop and recovering 95+% of your bullets things get real inexpensive. Back during the oblama panic I was able to reload my 38's for a 1/3 to < 1/2 of what 22lr cost. As a matter of fact I still am. Lead , primers, powder, and casings are strategic assets that all you young guys need to get figured out. Just like money, no such thing as too much. Mb

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I have a Ruger speed six 38 special that I keep loaded with 170gr swc.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Ray_Herbert
I have a Ruger speed six 38 special that I keep loaded with 170gr swc.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Nice! Like the Herrett grips!

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
IC B3

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
They make it an entirely different gun. The Speed six is not a light gun and it's never something I'm going to conceal carry in town. But I do lug it around the farm and it rides in the utv often.

It is loaded very hot and there aren't any problem things in my area that a 170gr swc can't fix.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
They make it an entirely different gun. The Speed six is not a light gun and it's never something I'm going to conceal carry in town. But I do lug it around the farm and it rides in the utv often.

It is loaded very hot and there aren't any problem things in my area that a 170gr swc can't fix.

My very first handgun was a Ruger Speed Six. Still have it.

Mine is a .357 Magnum, though.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image from images7.memedroid.com]
D
dla Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Never really interested in the 36 vagina

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P

Originally Posted by dla

Guess that is valuable information to someone??!

One of my favorite revolvers is a S&W Model 68 using 3.5grains of WW231 behind a 145grain SWCHP. It’s a joy to shoot and extremely accurate.

PennDog

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by dla

I'm certain the vagina part gave you great pause.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye

My very first handgun was a Ruger Speed Six. Still have it.

Mine is a .357 Magnum, though.

[Linked Image]

I had one of those years ago that I never shot 357 through. For me, if a 38 won't work, time to step up to a 44 or 45.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Your Speed Six looks just like my Police Service Six, but I know that those spiffy Herretts cover up a round butt. My PSS has the Ruger factory "Compact" oversized grips that they made for a while as an aftermarket offer. They're smooth/uncheckered, which I prefer on it for several reasons, but I like Herretts too and have several on other handguns (You can get smooth Herretts too, I realize. But not for $35....).

Was Mike Armstrong. Got logged off; couldn't log back on. RE-registered my old call sign, Mesa.
FNG. Again.
Mike Armstrong
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by Mesa
Your Speed Six looks just like my Police Service Six, but I know that those spiffy Herretts cover up a round butt. My PSS has the Ruger factory "Compact" oversized grips that they made for a while as an aftermarket offer. They're smooth/uncheckered, which I prefer on it for several reasons, but I like Herretts too and have several on other handguns (You can get smooth Herretts too, I realize. But not for $35....).

Just like my jeans, spiffy and covering up a round butt. I have a set on my square butt (that's what she said) Security six 357.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by roundoak
Didn't have much use for a 38 special with a 9MM and .357 Mag on hand. A S&W 38 Chief's Special changed that.

Ooh, nice Baby Chief! I probably couldn't even get my finger in that little triggerguard! laugh

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by 43Shooter
Hard to beat a K Frame S&W for 38spl.

👍

“When Tyranny becomes Law, Rebellion becomes Duty”

Colossians 3:17 (New King James Version)
"And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him."
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

550 members (1badf350, 1Longbow, 10gaugemag, 1936M71, 1beaver_shooter, 01Foreman400, 67 invisible), 2,636 guests, and 1,352 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,452
Posts18,471,079
Members73,934
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.