Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by mathman
Have you considered adding small pocket 308 Win. brass loaded with a ball powder to the test?

I'd be curious as to those results well. I believe I have some shot strings stored in my silver mountain system of 7 1/2s vs 450s in .308 lapua sp brass with N150 and a 155.5 bullet. The 7 1/2s were slightly faster if I remember correctly. I'll be able to check in a couple of days.

Too close for irons, switching to scope...
GB1

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
I do not recall seeing "Magnum" on these and I just checked my supply and they say "bench rest".

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'm looking at some old 222 loaded ammo - might of been my dad's. The primers are copper colored. I have not seen primers this color for quite a while. It may be before my time?

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Originally Posted by Bugger
I'm looking at some old 222 loaded ammo - might of been my dad's. The primers are copper colored. I have not seen primers this color for quite a while. It may be before my time?

Remington 7 1/2s are not nickel plated like many of the others; they retain a copper color.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
I'd call it more of a brass color. The only reddish copper primers I've seen were very old.

IC B2

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by lotech

Remington 7 1/2s are not nickel plated like many of the others; they retain a copper color.

I've been using 7 1/2s since the early '90s, I have never seen any copper colored .

Old Corps

Semper Fi

Get off my lawn.

FJB
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Mule Deer

I ? The typical photos of primer flames that some experiments have taken tend to show 7-1/2 with more flame than some other SR primers--though as one primer manufacturer remarked to me during an interview a few years ago, flame length doesn't necessarily have anything to do with flame temperature, which is more important when igniting powder. (He suggested chronographing the same load, in the same rifle, using different primers as a far better indicator of primer "hotness.")

just some anecdotal information..
there is a NATO / OTAN paper " The Combustion of Solid Propellants" that discusses flame temperature, length and composition of various compositions in section 2.0 of the paper.

The paper seems more focused on the inner cone length than the secondary (visible) flame length (at all but the highest pressures ~100ATM), and specifically considers the two parts of the flame separately.
the pdf is 3.2 megs so I dont think I can attach it, but I could send it to you John.
looking at inner cone length might make for an interesting second look at primer flame photos....
Though I can't say for sure that priming compound fit the category of a "double base propellant"

-OMotS

"If memory serves fails me..."
Quote: ( unnamed) "been prtty deep in the cooler todaay "

Television and radio are most effective when people question little and think even less.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Mule Deer:

I dug into my older primers and found a 7 1/2 box that doesn't mention magnum or benchrest. The same as what Ramblin_Razorback posted:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Rare-Vinta...leanbore-cartridges-/124438644539?_ul=IN

I am interested in what you find out with the primer comparison

Last edited by Azshooter; 07/22/21.
J
Joe Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I have a few left in a box that was purchased circa 1983. Labeled Benchrest and they are indeed copper color.

Shew me thy ways, O LORD: teach me thy paths.
"there are few better cartridges on Earth than the 7 x 57mm Mauser"
"the .30 Springfield is light, accurate, penetrating, and has surprising stopping power"
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by Joe
I have a few left in a box that was purchased circa 1983. Labeled Benchrest and they are indeed copper color.

Forgive me for being particular, but I'd like to be clear on what we're talking about.

Pinkish like copper:

[Linked Image from si-interactive.s3.amazonaws.com]

Or "copper color" like brass:

[Linked Image from flecktarn.co.uk]

IC B3

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I have been using REM 7 1/2's ever since I bought One of the first .17 cal Rem Model 700's rifles.
They were made for the .17 Rem because of the pressure. As far as 6 1/2's I never liked em even in 222 because I drove em harder than factory.
I considered 6 1/2's junk primers

I still Use 7 1/2's in .17, & 223 if loaded to 5.56 pressure because if you use the same hot loads in either caliber with most any other primers they flatten or end up pierced, & eats away at your firing pin.

. I remember back in the day{70's} Ad's from Remington showing a longer duration flame front, not hotter burning just longer lasting
compared to to other primers, that picture clearly showed the flame front while other primers were already done. That + the much harder Bronze cup.

I still have a bunch of the Rem 7 1/2's, all saying BR, or Benchrest. I don't waste these just to burn up ammo, they special. LOL.

I would have got him too but a Dad Blam snow flake hit me in da eye....
M
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Originally Posted by doubleDs55
I have been using REM 7 1/2's ever since I bought One of the first .17 cal Rem Model 700's rifles.
They were made for the .17 Rem because of the pressure.

Actually, as I mentioned in an earlier post, 7-1/2s were primarily introduced for the .221 Fireball, which appeared years before the .17 Remington. But same deal: Thicker cup than the 6-1/2s to resist higher pressures.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Joe

Forgive me for being particular, but I'd like to be clear on what we're talking about.

Pinkish like copper:

RP used only 3 digit lot #s back then so there's no way for me to establish manufacture date, or to remember exactly when I got these. I have a box of 6 1/2s that are surely from early 80s that are nickle plated lot #231, lot #175 of 7 1/2s marked SRBR that are copper colored (mid to late 80s), & a later lot of SRBR 7 1/2s #297 that are brass colored (late 80s/early 90s). All other RP primers in my closet are brass colored except an older lot (late 80s?) of 2 1/2s which are nickle plated. No mention of magnum anywhere on my SR stash.

Sacred cows make good burgers when you know what temperature to cook them at.-Rev. Billy
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Al Angerman did some work with primer photography that the late Dave Brennan published in Precision Shooting Magazine. It was subsequently reprinted as part of the Benchrest Shooting Primer.

Comparisons were the Rem 7-1/2, Fed 205M, etc. -Al

Forbidden Zoner
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Dave Brennan also ran an article by Audette on Primers which also included photos in the 90's. IIRC it was Audette's last article before he passed away.

Last edited by ChrisF; 07/22/21.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Yes....Al Angerman's article was a follow up to some of the work done by Rick Hornbeck and Creighton Audette. I believe the Angerman article was in '93.

After that article, I tested primers extensively in the big cased .17's, finding some definitive stuff.

Presently, both the 6PPCs and the 30BRs routinely operate in the pressure range that no small rifle primer would have survived back then......

Good shootin' -Al

Forbidden Zoner
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Actually, as I mentioned in an earlier post, 7-1/2s were primarily introduced for the .221 Fireball, which appeared years before the .17 Remington. But same deal: Thicker cup than the 6-1/2s to resist higher pressures.

Well I learned something today. I had thought 7 1/2’s we’re older than 221’s. Thanks MD.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by doubleDs55
They were made for the .17 Rem because of the pressure.

No no MD I don't think so, the 17 rem was introduced by Remington in 1971, the 221 fireball was not introduced until 2007.
I've read many times the 7 1/2 was created because of the .17 rem. and the fact that 6 1/2's were not going to cut it. In 71 I was interested in a .17 as soon as I heard about it. Remington said no small rifle primer at the time were recommended for the 17 rem except the 7 1/2.
Today there is some other primers that could fit the bill, not so then.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D

Well I learned something today. I had thought 7 1/2’s we’re older than 221’s. Thanks MD.

They are. By quite a few years. I think now a days some of the cci made for 5/56 and Federal AR SRP are maybe even stronger.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Joe

Pinkish like copper:

Copper colored like copper not like brass coloring for the old loaded rounds I was looking at.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

554 members (02bfishn, 160user, 10gaugeman, 16gage, 1234, 007FJ, 53 invisible), 2,487 guests, and 1,260 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,430
Posts18,470,780
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.