Hop To
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Originally Posted by JakeBlues
Originally Posted by RiverRider
Sectional density IS a factor of the ballistic coeficient.

This is a picky point but although sectional density and BC go up together, I think they go up for different underlying reasons mathematically. Sectional density goes up because you're pushing more weight through the same diameter, hence a higher sectional density bullet would penetrate more for a given weight. On the other hand, BC goes up because you have a longer, more streamlined bullet for a given diameter, hence the better longer range aerodynamic efficiency. For all intent and purposes though, your statement rings true because for a given diameter, a heavier bullet would also be longer, given the same general shape and tail design.

BC is simply SD multiplied by a form constant.

You can think of BC as penetrating air. The big difference between air and tissue is that the bullet holds its form in air, but deforms in tissue.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by denton
Ballistic coefficient is a measure of how easily a bullet passes through air. Long slender bullets (6.5x66) tend to have high BCs. Short fat bullets (Elmer Kieth 44) tend to have low BCs. Sharper tips raise BC. Boat tails reduce drag at the rear of the bullet. All published BCs should be taken with a grain of salt.

High BC bullets fly flatter. They also, somewhat surprisingly, experience less wind deflection.

I think you’re confusing drag coefficient with ballistic coefficient. I understand BC to be a calculation of both drag and sectional density along with velocity.

BC=Mass over cross section x drag coefficient
Not sure if I have the formula correct but it’s the basic idea.

‘TO LEARN WHO RULES OVER YOU, SIMPLY FIND OUT WHO YOU ARE NOT ALLOWED TO CRITICIZE’

Conspiracy theorists are the ones who see it all coming…

You are the carbon they want to eliminate !

I’m Uber Deplorable Ultra MAGA !
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Think of it this way.

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Llama_Bob

This is a picky point but although sectional density and BC go up together, I think they go up for different underlying reasons mathematically. Sectional density goes up because you're pushing more weight through the same diameter, hence a higher sectional density bullet would penetrate more for a given weight. On the other hand, BC goes up because you have a longer, more streamlined bullet for a given diameter, hence the better longer range aerodynamic efficiency. For all intent and purposes though, your statement rings true because for a given diameter, a heavier bullet would also be longer, given the same general shape and tail design.

BC is simply SD multiplied by a form constant.

You can think of BC as penetrating air. The big difference between air and tissue is that the bullet holds its form in air, but deforms in tissue.

Okay thanks.

Progressives are the most open minded, tolerant, and inclusive people on the planet, as long as you agree with everything they say, and do exactly as you're told.
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter

My mistake on this one...

Progressives are the most open minded, tolerant, and inclusive people on the planet, as long as you agree with everything they say, and do exactly as you're told.
IC B2

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by T_Inman
So, a baseball and a same sized nerf ball have the same B/C? It sure seems like a baseball thrown at the same velocity has a much higher B/C, as it keeps its speed much longer and generally goes further. Drag coefficient I can see based solely on bullet profile, but not the actual ballistic coefficient. Apparently velocity also plays a factor and B/C can change with velocity, which gets me doubly confused.

I am totally lost here...

Well, yes and no.

The number we call BC is a comparison between the aerodynamic of a given bullet and a reference projectile, typically the 1" Krupps shell from WWI. At different velocities projectiles will have different relative performance to the reference projectile and hence a variable BC. Some bullet manufactures such as Sierra will give you a Bullets BC at a specified velocity, and this is why.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by Azshooter
I think most would agree that two bullets with the same weight and different diameters would have the smaller diameter bullet yielding a higher BC.

I encountered an anomaly with the .224" and .243" diameter 55 gr ballistic tips. The larger diameter .243 has the higher BC according to Nosler. Perhaps Nosler made a mistake?

55 gr Nosler Ballistic tips:

.224" G1 .267
.243" G1 .278

You're presuming they have same profile. The .243 bullet probably has more of a VLD profile.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Some of you fellas are overlooking a salient point. Cd is a variable in relation to velocity and bullet form can have surprising influence. For example, Cd diminishes as velocity increases above the realm of 3,000 FPS. Flat base bullet fare better at subsonic velocity than boat tails.

It’s enough to give a fella a headache.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
There is a really good technical discussion of this on the Berger Bullets website. What is interesting is that the BC can be estimated by calculations, but only empirically determined by shooting the bullet and measuring speed differential along the flight path. Berger says they now use doppler radar to gauge the speed at all points along the path, which they say is more accurate than the old two point measuring system because the BC varies with velocity. All this loses me, and I go back to the basics--find a bullet that works and stick with it. I discount the manufacturers BC's as estimates only. You guys who are really into this stuff can have a heyday with it. Have fun!

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Lima has a good point and it is complicated. The Berger manual has a pretty good writeup by Bryan Litz. it's probably the same thing on the site. I think the G1 drag coefficient was formulated for cannon projectiles and the G7 profile is more in line with what we have now.

Jack O'Connor had some good information on ballistics years ago. That's why he gravitated to the .270. It worked. We've come a long way since then and really for hunting purpose at sensible ranges G1 works ok and slower twist rates for hunting guns works fine. I will say that as you go up in speed you go down on barrel life. The 26 Nosler is fine but you are burning a lot of powder for not much gain. Same for most all the Weatherby line, the 300Wby being the exception. Those two mile rifles are pushing long, heavy bullets fast but barrel life isn't so much a consideration. I think Carol Shelby said, "it isn't how fast you can go, it's how fast can you afford to go".

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by rainshot
"it isn't how fast you can go, it's how fast can you afford to go".

Hahaha great quote.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by deflave
So, a baseball and a same sized nerf ball have the same B/C? It sure seems like a baseball thrown at the same velocity has a much higher B/C, as it keeps its speed much longer and generally goes further. Drag coefficient I can see based solely on bullet profile, but not the actual ballistic coefficient. Apparently velocity also plays a factor and B/C can change with velocity, which gets me doubly confused.

In the most simple of terms think a rocket design in a wind tunnel.

You’re not trying to establish how much fuel it will take to get the rocket to where it’s going, or how fast it has to be at launch, you’re strictly trying to establish which one is less affected by wind/resistance.

The other problems are addressed elsewhere. BC just establishes how slippery the projectile is.

That makes sense, for the drag coefficient at least. I still am not seeing how mass doesn't have an affect on the actual B/C, as mass gives momentum. That is of course assuming the posters saying that mass or weight has no bearing on B/C are correct (which is a big assumption). Most every link I see on Google Fu says mass is a function of B/C.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Sheister
longer is more stable and more wind resistant, all other things being equal

I get that speed is the biggie in determining wind drift, for the most part. That makes perfect sense, but in theory wouldn't a longer bullet (assuming the same b/c and diameter) have more surface area for wind to act upon and thus drift more?

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
That makes sense, for the drag coefficient at least. I still am not seeing how mass doesn't have an affect on the actual B/C, as mass gives momentum. That is of course assuming the posters saying that mass or weight has no bearing on B/C are correct (which is a big assumption). Most every link I see on Google Fu says mass is a function of B/C.

Mass, velocity,, point of aim, and BC are all major actors in determining trajectory. But BC is separate from mass and velocity. You can think about it this way: Momentum is the "fuel" that makes a projectile go. As drag acts on the projectile, the projectile sheds momentum. The hollow aluminum shell and the solid tungsten bullet with the same shape will have the same drag. But the aluminum shell does not have much momentum, so it "gives up" in a hurry.

Wind deflection does not mostly come from the wind blowing against the side of the bullet. It happens because the bullet will very slightly "nose into" a crosswind, because that is the orientation of least resistance. So you have the drag vector pointing out of the base of the bullet, and it mostly points toward the muzzle, but slightly points toward the side. It's that component pointing toward the side that moves the bullet sideways. So bullets with higher BC are less deflected by the wind.

Be not weary in well doing.
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by deflave

In the most simple of terms think a rocket design in a wind tunnel.

You’re not trying to establish how much fuel it will take to get the rocket to where it’s going, or how fast it has to be at launch, you’re strictly trying to establish which one is less affected by wind/resistance.

The other problems are addressed elsewhere. BC just establishes how slippery the projectile is.

If you wanna be a scientist, go be a scientist.

For the purposes of an end user BC means how slippery the bullet is and nothing else.

It should also be noted that bullet makers lie for the sake of selling schit and proof is always in the pudding.

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The number we call BC is a comparison between the aerodynamic of a given bullet and a reference projectile, typically the 1" Krupps shell from WWI. At different velocities projectiles will have different relative performance to the reference projectile and hence a variable BC. Some bullet manufactures such as Sierra will give you a Bullets BC at a specified velocity, and this is why.

This!

The simplest way to view BC is how a bullet compares to the "standard projectile". Standard Projectiles are 1" in diameter and weigh 1 lb. The G1 standard projectile (the Krupp shell as Antelope Sniper calls it) is a pretty pokey looking design with a 3 caliber ogive IIRC...but by definition it has a G1 BC of 1.000 So all these zoot slippery bullets we're shooting mostly fall short of the ballistic performance of that one pound chunk of projectile (mass matters). G1 BC greater than 1.000, then your bullet is outperforming the G1 Standard Projectile. The G1 BC is good for 500 yards or so, then it's predictive value diminishes. The G7 Standard (again...one inch diameter, one pound but with a more VLD shape) is a better predictor because it's shape is a closer match to the bullets we shoot today.

I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
BC is a measure of how well a bullet retains velocity over distance.

BC can be easily observed on the range. A doppler chronograph will graph velocity loss over range and determine BC.

Note that Sierra documents (as a rule) three bc values for their bullets according to velocity, recognizing that BC will change as velocity changes downrange.

If a computer is calculating BC from observed velocity loss, it will give differing values for bullets constructed of different materials. Ex: Tungsten, cup & core, Copper, Tin, or Aluminum.

Even if the Tungsten bullet, and the Aluminum bullet have identical profiles, and each has a 3000 fps mv, the Aluminum bullet will be traveling much slower at 500 yds down range. Thus it has a lower BC.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Here’s a high bc .257 bullet you need a 1-8 minimum twist. Looks like .664 G1 BC .332 G7

https://blackjackbullets.com/product/blackjack-131-grain-ace-match-bullet-100-ct/?v=ed5e635ddcfb

Last edited by 79S; 07/27/21.

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Sheister
longer is more stable and more wind resistant, all other things being equal

I get that speed is the biggie in determining wind drift, for the most part. That makes perfect sense, but in theory wouldn't a longer bullet (assuming the same b/c and diameter) have more surface area for wind to act upon and thus drift more?

The other variable to consider is that the longer the bullet, the more twist it takes to stabilize it. More twist keeps it more steady on it's axis and helps counter act effects of wind. As an example, think of a football that is spun and thrown in a spiral vs a non spiral lame ass throw. The one thrown in a spiral deflects less off target in the wind.

Last edited by JakeBlues; 07/27/21.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Well my stab at it. Ballistic coefficient is a product of length, diameter and shape. A .224 bullet and a .308 bullet can have the same BC but the 30 caliber bullet will have to be heavier and longer to overcome the bigger frontal area.

Dog I rescued in January

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

576 members (10gaugeman, 10gaugemag, 1OntarioJim, 222Sako, 1lessdog, 160user, 66 invisible), 2,448 guests, and 1,334 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,153
Posts18,484,272
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.