-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Mr. Carmichel is one of those writers along with Gene Hill, John Barsness, Finn Aagaard (sp?), Skeeter Skelton, Pat McManus and Russell Annabel that always got my undivided attention whenever I saw their name on an article.

I realize the list of my favorite writers spans quite a few years but we only get a few greats per decade.

Last edited by BigDogBoogie; 12/23/22.
GB1

W
WMR Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Carmichael? I always suspected that Zumbo offed him using a suppressed AR with a bump stock. Nobody would have seen it coming! 😳

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
I have a copy of his Book of The Rifle, that my ex said that book is worn like someone's family bible. I wrote a letter to Jim in the mid 90's and I got a reply, and I still have the letter.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I incorrectly said Jim Carmichael wrote The Rear View column for Petersens Hunting. It is written by Jim Zumbo. I apologize for my error.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
One of Jim's many emails.

Stormy Daniels and Queen Elizabeth went to the Pearly Gates on the same day.

They both met with an angel to find out if they would be admitted to Heaven the angel said:

"Unfortunately, there's only one space available in Heaven today so I must decide which one of you will be admitted."

The angel asked Stormy if there was some particular reason why she should go to Heaven.

Stormy took off her top and said: “Look at these, they're the most perfect breasts God ever created and I'm sure it will please God to be able to see them every day, for eternity.”

The angel thanked Stormy, and asked Her Majesty, Queen Elizabeth the same question.

The Queen walked over to a toilet, pulled the lever and flushed it without saying a word.

The Angel immediately said: “Okay, your Majesty, you may go into Heaven.”

Stormy was outraged and asked, "What was that all about? I showed you two of God's own perfect creations and you turned me down. She simply flushed a commode and she got admitted to Heaven!

Would you explain that to me?"

“Sorry, Stormy,” said the Angel, "but like in Poker even in Heaven, a royal flush beats a pair, no matter how big they are.

IC B2

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Another.

It snowed last night

We received about 3 inches of snow yesterday and

8:00 am: I made a snowman.

8:10 - A feminist passed by and asked me why I didn't make a snowwoman.

8:15 - So, I made a snow woman.

8:17 - My feminist neighbor complained about the snow woman's voluptuous chest saying it objectified women everywhere.

8:20 - The gay couple living nearby threw a hissy fit and moaned it could have been two snowmen instead.

8:22 - The transgender man.. woman...person asked why I didn't just make one snow person with detachable parts.

8:25 - The vegans at the end of the lane complained about the carrot nose, as veggies are food and are not used to decorate snow figures.

8:28 - I was being called a racist because the snow couple is white.

8:30 - I used food coloring to make one of the snow couple a different color and be more racially inclusive.

8:37 - Then they accused me of using a blackface on the snow person.

8:39 - The middle eastern gent across the road demanded the snow woman be completely covered.

8:40 - The police arrived saying someone had been offended.

8:42 - The feminist neighbor complained again that the broomstick of the snow woman needed to be removed because it depicted women in a domestic role.

8:43 - The 'council on equality' officer arrived and threatened me with eviction.

8:45 - The TV news crew from ABC showed up. I was asked if I know the difference between snowmen and snow women. I replied "Snowballs" and am now a sexist.

9:00 - I was on the news as a suspected terrorist, racist, homophobe, and sensibility offender, bent on stirring up trouble during difficult weather.

9:10 - I was asked if I have any accomplices. My children were taken by social services.

9:29 - Far-left protesters offended by everything marched down the street demanding that I be arrested.

9:45 - The boss called and fired me because of the negative association with work that had been all over social media.

10:00 - I cry into my drink because all I wanted to do was build a snowman...

Moral: There ain't no moral to this story. It is what this world has become because of a bunch of snowflakes . . . and that's the TRUTH!

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Last one. We do share gun story items, but most are funny emails.

Viewer warning ...this will bring a tear to your eye.....get out your hanky....

Tyrone was having trouble in school. His teacher was always yelling at him, "You're driving me crazy, Tyrone. Can't you learn anything? One day Tyrone's mother came to school to see how he was doing. The teacher told her honestly that her son was simply a disaster, getting very low marks, and that she had never had such an unmotivated and ignorant boy in her entire teaching career.

Tyrone’s mom, shocked at the feedback, withdrew her son from school, moved out of Detroit, and relocated to Cleveland.

Thirty years later, the teacher was diagnosed with irreversible cardiac disease. Her doctors all strongly advised her to have open heart surgery, which only one surgeon at the Cleveland Clinic could perform. Left with no other options, the teacher decided to have the operation, which was remarkably successful.

When she opened her eyes after the surgery the teacher saw the handsome young doctor who headed her surgical team smiling down at her. She wanted to thank him but could not talk. Her face started to turn blue; she raised her hand trying to tell him something but quickly died.

The doctor was shocked, wondering what went wrong so suddenly. When the doctor turned around to leave the room, he saw that Tyrone, now a janitor at the Clinic, had unplugged the life-support equipment in order to plug in his vacuum cleaner.

If you thought that Tyrone had become a heart-surgeon, there is a high likelihood that you voted for Biden.

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Please CC me on to all future correspondence.

🤣

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
My favorite Jim C story:

Backstory: I had the chance to meet with Jack O’Connor back in my high school days but didn’t, as I had something more important to do that day. To this damn day, I can’t imagine what my stupid reason was, as Jack was my personal hero back then.

Three years ago I met Mr Jim and my first remark was “Years ago I missed out on a face to face meeting with your predecessor…” and immediately he said to me “Well you didn’t miss much!”. I had a little shocked expression on my face I think because he just laughed at me. After that he was as gracious as he could be.

You only live once, but...if you do it right, once is enough.
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by Godogs57
My favorite Jim C story:

Backstory: I had the chance to meet with Jack O’Connor back in my high school days but didn’t, as I had something more important to do that day. To this damn day, I can’t imagine what my stupid reason was, as Jack was my personal hero back then.

Three years ago I met Mr Jim and my first remark was “Years ago I missed out on a face to face meeting with your predecessor…” and immediately he said to me “Well you didn’t miss much!”. I had a little shocked expression on my face I think because he just laughed at me. After that he was as gracious as he could be.
Jack might of been a little tough to take but this is not out of the ordinary with a man of his vintage.
Jack was a sheep hunter Firstly, and this was my goal as well.
Jack had done it, you cannot pretend to be a sheep hunter and fool other sheep hunters.
He was the real deal. The chambering he preferred was the very best and he killed some good rams.
Jim was a benchrest shooter, and not a sheephunter.
He just couldn't capture my interest in the same way.
Outdoor Life lost a great deal when Jack moved on, imo. God Bless them all.

IC B3

I
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I
Jim still sets up here at the Bristol racetrack gunshow

G
GF1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by bonecrusher338
Originally Posted by RickF
Originally Posted by bonecrusher338
Can you ask him if he will write another book on Hunting rifles,"The Modern Rifle" was great, however it is a little outdated, some great info. though.

Do you have 'Book of the Rifle'? He wrote it about 1985, perhaps 10 years after the Modern Rifle. Also a good book.

No, I don't have that book. I will look into it. All I'm saying is just because somebody hits a certain age they don't have to disappear, He has a lot to offer with his knowledge, We would like to hear more from him and learn. He wrote an article about the best "Elk Rifle Cartridge" In an Outdoor Life article, Rated the .338 Winchester Magnum #1, Changed my life. Sure would like to hear more from the man.

While I agree in concept and hope MD doesn't hang it up anytime soon,
There is a certain little factory 6.8 miles from here. When I reach a certain age,
I intend to tell them I'm taking my vacation, and I ain't coming back.

Guess writers should be allowed the same privilege!

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by WMR
Carmichael? I always suspected that Zumbo offed him using a suppressed AR with a bump stock. Nobody would have seen it coming! 😳

Funniest thing I’ve read in awhile.😆

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
I was 15 when he took over from O'Conner.I remember his introduction to the magazine, his article from his first trip to Africa,bought his book when it first came out, and I still have it and reference it.I always looked foward to his articles.He did the hunts that O'Conner did and more. And he had a much better knowledge of rifles. He is highly underated as a gunwriter

Home Of The Mollies
N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
Jim was always a favorite of mine. Straight forward. No BS. Good information on what ever subject he was covering.
His info helped me get my first bought rifle, Ruger M77 in 6mm Rem, to shoot. Used business cards...

I am the NorthEast WoodsBeast!

"System version 1.3, divorced"
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
I had been a fan of his for many years, and to my surprise, saw his name on the roster at one of the last BR matches held at the Volunteer Rifle and Pistol club in Knoxville TN. I introduced my self as one of his biggest fans, he just smiled and said thanks.
JO was just a rich hunter, who wrote stories. Jim, was a rifleman of the highest caliber. After 50+ years in the gun culture, I know the difference. Thanks guys for reminding me of some days gone past…

Aim low boys, they're ridin Shetlands!
W
WMR Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by waynemac4
I had been a fan of his for many years, and to my surprise, saw his name on the roster at one of the last BR matches held at the Volunteer Rifle and Pistol club in Knoxville TN. I introduced my self as one of his biggest fans, he just smiled and said thanks.
JO was just a rich hunter, who wrote stories. Jim, was a rifleman of the highest caliber. After 50+ years in the gun culture, I know the difference. Thanks guys for reminding me of some days gone past…

I tried to read anything I could find from Jim and JOC (and most others)😀. So called “Gentleman Jim” seemed to deserve the name and did seem to know rifles. I understand he was no slouch with a shotgun either. JOC appeared to be much more the hunter and did his early hunting “on the cheap” diy. His early writing documents this well. Later on JOC got well known and connected in the outdoor media and hunted worldwide. His experience was much deeper than simply a “rich hunter”. I would have liked to have met either of them.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Anybody who thinks O'Connor "grew up rich" doesn't know anything about his life. He worked his butt off to get where he did.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Well put, Mule Deer. But not many have read Horse and Buggy West.

Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

94 members (35, 69sportfury, AdventureBound, 6mmCreedmoor, 6mmbrfan, 8 invisible), 1,444 guests, and 892 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,118
Posts18,483,514
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.