Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 9 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Coonass is a controversial term in the Cajun lexicon: to some Cajuns it is regarded as the supreme ethnic slur, meaning \"ignorant, backwards Cajun\"; to others the term is a badge of pride, much like the word Chicano is for Mexican Americans. In South Louisiana, for example, one can often see bumper stickers reading \"Warning — Coonass on Board!\" or \"Registered Coonass\" (both of which generally depict a raccoon’s backside). The word’s origin is unclear: folk etymology claims that coonass dates from World War II, when Cajun GIs serving in France were derided by native French speakers as conasse, meaning \"dirty whore\" or \"idiot.\" Non-French-speaking American GIs allegedly overheard the expression, converted it to the English \"coonass,\" and introduced the term back in the United States. There it supposedly soon caught on as a derisive term among non-Cajuns, who encountered many Cajuns in Gulf Coast oilfields. It is now known, however, that coonass predated the arrival of Cajun GIs in France during World War II, which undermines the conasse theory. Indeed, folklorist Barry Jean Ancelet has long rejected this theory, calling it \"shaky linguistics at best.\" He has suggested that the word originated in South Louisiana, and that it derived from the belief that Cajuns frequently ate raccoons. He has also proposed that the term contains a negative racial connotation: namely, that Cajuns were \"beneath\" or \"under\" blacks (or coons, as blacks were often called by racists). Despite efforts by Cajun activists like James Domengeaux and Warren A. Perrin to stamp out the term’s use, coonass continues to circulate in South Louisiana and beyond. Its acceptability among the general public, however, tends to vary according to circumstances, and often depends on who says it and with what intention. Cajuns who dislike the term have been known to correct well-meaning outsiders who use the epithet.

by pastorchik September 29, 2003

Illegitimi non carborundum

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Originally Posted by Texson2
Being an outfitter for quite a few years I had a lot of Louisiana hunters. I didn’t have to say a word. Within five minutes upon arrival a coonass made damn sure I knew he wasn’t a redneck. Upon arrival a redneck wanted me to know for damn sure he wasn’t a coonass. Always laughed, I could tell without them telling me. Them boys didn’t like each other. Always had to watch the Louisiana hunters real close. They’re hard on game populations. That’s why they came to Texas to hunt, not much left and home. They only know two seasonings, salt and pepper. Always a lot of fun but you better damn sure s keep a tight rein on them.

Texon, surely you jest. I think there’s a misunderstanding in reference to bag limits. For instance we have a 60 day duck season at 6 ducks a day, that’s 360 ducks a year. You not limited out until you reach 360. And btw I damn sure aint no coonass.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
A coonass is like a redneck, but without the intelligence.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
I just know that in certain circles in Louisiana it is not highly regarded. Results vary considerably.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by rainshot
I just know that in certain circles in Louisiana it is not highly regarded. Results vary considerably.

Like where in the state you happen to be....

DF

IC B2

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
I've worked and lived among them for 39 years. If you don't belittle them they will treat you like family. If you belittle them they will Screw you every chance they get from now on. They have an inferiority problem. They know their ancestors were driven out of Canada as undesirables years ago. They are loyal people if they trust you and.count you as a friend.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by Hogwild7
I've worked and lived among them for 39 years. If you don't belittle them they will treat you like family. If you belittle them they will Screw you every chance they get from now on. They have an inferiority problem. They know their ancestors were driven out of Canada as undesirables years ago. They are loyal people if they trust you and.count you as a friend.

Absolutely.

Show them true friendship and respect, you'll have no better friend.

Pizz on'em and they'll reciprocate with interest.

BTW, here in Central Louisiana, many Avoylles Parish natives trace their heritage from France, not Nova Scotia. So, techically, although they're French, they're not true Cajuns, but no one around here spits hairs over fine points.

I've been called a Coonazz by friends from other states, even here on the Fire. But I'm about as Anglo as one can get. Still from Louisiana, one can expect to be labeled Cajun/Coonazz. It goes with the territory. To me, it'a a badge of honor.

DF

R
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
R
Why were they driven from Canada?

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by ronwethington
Why were they driven from Canada?

I think it had to do with the French and Indian wars and conflicts thereafter.

The British forces overpowered the French forces and the Brits expelled the French locals from the area.

Friends who have visited that part of Canada report seeing French Cajun names among the current inhabitants. Maybe the Brits didn't get them all expatriated.

Reportedly it was a hard time for them, many died. Those that made it must have been a tough bunch. And, seems that heritage persists to this day.

DF

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
It looks like the history has been covered. Is there something in particular that somebody wants to know?

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by deflave
Originally Posted by wh06
Always heard born north of I-10 you are a redass born south of I-10 you are a coonass.

I always heard that if you’re from the south you’re a dumb fugk and that Texans are ten steps beneath that.

If I remember my geography, Florida is in the south. If you from the south, you can't help it, but if you moved to the south.....what kind of smart are you? LOL

Old Turd- Deplorable- Unrepentant Murderer- Domestic Violent Extremist

Just "Campfire Riffraff and Trash"

This will be my last post! Flave 1/3/21
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by ltppowell
It looks like the history has been covered. Is there something in particular that somebody wants to know?

Is a Cajun still a Cajun after he crosses the Sabine?

grin

DF

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
Originally Posted by ltppowell

Is a Cajun still a Cajun after he crosses the Sabine?

grin

DF

Or asked another way. How far from the LA border does he have to be before y'all let him call himself a Texican...?

DF

Page 9 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

561 members (2500HD, 1badf350, 10Glocks, 160user, 12344mag, 10gaugeman, 61 invisible), 2,227 guests, and 1,211 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,363
Posts18,506,380
Members74,000
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.