Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Slavek
Originally Posted by Nate40
I love glocks but i did have one kinda kaboom. Brand new g23 gen 4, shooting factory federal hydroshock ammo. Was on the 3rd magazine. My best guess is it somehow fired out of battery, the the casing looked
like a backwards 357 sig if you can imagine that, the case was bulged out at the base near the rim. When it happened it blew the extractor and spring into no mans land (never found em) I han a minor burn from escaping powder i guess and lots of recoil. I sent it into Glock and they fixed it, of course they blamed the ammo but when i got it back its ran perfectly

You are brave. If same happened to me I would replace that gun with something from different manufacturer.

Most likely was the ammo.

If it was runnin' fine right before.

They make ammo by the million-rounds, plus the shipping/handling/storing.

Whereas every Glock is test-fired, and, as stated, was runnin' fine.

What part broke/malfunctioned to cause it?

Go easy on the FUD until you know something.

GR

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Garandimal
I love glocks but i did have one kinda kaboom. Brand new g23 gen 4, shooting factory federal hydroshock ammo. Was on the 3rd magazine. My best guess is it somehow fired out of battery, the the casing looked
like a backwards 357 sig if you can imagine that, the case was bulged out at the base near the rim. When it happened it blew the extractor and spring into no mans land (never found em) I han a minor burn from escaping powder i guess and lots of recoil. I sent it into Glock and they fixed it, of course they blamed the ammo but when i got it back its ran perfectly

You are brave. If same happened to me I would replace that gun with something from different manufacturer.

GR

Perhaps it was the ammo, but we will never know for sure.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Garandimal

GR

Perhaps it was the ammo, but we will never know for sure.

Have had Compact G23 .40 Glocks since the early '90's.

From Gen2 to Gen4.

Currently, three Gen4's

Thousands upon thousands of rounds.

All factory.

Know of many w/ thousands upon thousands of rounds down their G23.4's as well.

0.0 issues/problems.

The .40, especially the 180 gr. load, can produce a high pressure condition due to bullet set-back.

A bad case/load, of any cartridge, can produce catastrophic problems.

Both thing to watch for and avoid, especially in a Tupperware pistol.

GR

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Redneck: I qualified 4 times a year for 9 years right next to 19 (20 position pistol range) other officers at a time firing factory ammunition out of their issued Glock Model 22's in 40 S&W and I NEVER saw a "kaboom"!
PERIOD!
Not only that in all of those thousands of rounds I was seeing shot and shot myself I saw only 1 (ONE!) F.T.F. and that occurred as a 95 pound "police woman" who "limp wristed" her Glock - and the range officer immediately ceased fire for all on the line and fired the Glock pistol immediately and repeatedly himself with NO problems. Instruction was given to the 95 pound "affirmitive action" officer (who by the way was required by the State of Washington to sit on a 4" thick pillow/pad when driving all vehicles!).
Anyway after instruction she had no more F.T.F.'s.
Over those 9 years I was using the Glocks and qualifying with them I am sure our department (1,100 officers at the times) fired several hundred thousand rounds (maybe a million?) of factory ammunition through those 1,100 Glock Model 22's and never a "kaboom" was reported!
I think your concerns are greatly over-rated and your contention regarding the Glock Model 22's is greatly undeserved.
In short "bad mouthing" Glock Model 22's in 40 S&W by you is falling on "deaf ears" of this VERY experienced Glock shooter/enthusiast as I have been using/shooting/buying them for 30 plus years now!
And some other models for going on 40 years now.
To each their own I guess?
Long live Glock.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If i were buying a new .40 cal handgun it would not be a Glock.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
IC B2

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
When Louisville Metro switched over to the Glock 22, they bought them from a local police supply place/Glock distributor, who also was a Fiocchi ammo distributor, and he sold a helluva lot of that ammo. I know several folks who bought the Glocks and a bunch of Fiocchi ammo to use "because that's what the cops used" and it was very remarkable that nearly to a man they had a lot of Kabooms. That was traced to the Fiocchi ammo which had thin case heads (Louisville Metro carried Federal ammo, so they didn't experience those Kabooms!) that the everyday shooter was having.
I have no idea if Fiocchi has fixed their ammo or not, I haven't ever bought any of their centerfire stuff (and most of the rimfire stuff sold here is contracted out to CCI, except their fancier match stuff).
But YES, Glock 22s have Kaboomed a LOT, at least here in the Kentucky/Indiana area, I've seen it happen with my own eyes.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Originally Posted by ready_on_the_right

Pretty sure the FBI quit using 147 gr Hydra's due to excessive pressure issues

Nope, the FBI quit using the 147 gr. Federal Hydra-Shok because the contract ran out and the new contract was won by a different load.

Actually, they didn't just "quit". The loading continued to be authorized until supplies were exhausted.

I am unaware of any pressure issues the FBI experienced with 147 gr. Federal Hydra-Shok.

I hope this prevents an Internet rumor.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by BufordBoone
Originally Posted by ready_on_the_right

Pretty sure the FBI quit using 147 gr Hydra's due to excessive pressure issues

Nope, the FBI quit using the 147 gr. Federal Hydra-Shok because the contract ran out and the new contract was won by a different load.

Actually, they didn't just "quit". The loading continued to be authorized until supplies were exhausted.

I am unaware of any pressure issues the FBI experienced with 147 gr. Federal Hydra-Shok.

I hope this prevents an Internet rumor.

147 what??

9mm or .40 caliber??

Most kabooms I have ever heard of occurred in a .40 caliber gun.

Please feel free to correct me if this is not the case.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Yesterday the Lone Wolf stainless steel guide rod and spring assembly came by mail. It snapped right into position. My son tried it out today, and everything is good.

Sam......

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Originally Posted by local_dirt

147 what??

9mm or .40 caliber??

Sorry, the original post was about a .40. The Federal 147 referred to is a 9mm round. I am not aware of any 147 gr. .40 loadings that have ever been used by the FBI. My mistake in not specifying.

I am aware of guns blowing up in both 9 and .40. I wouldn't feel comfortable saying "Most" for either caliber. This is simply an admission of "I don't know".

IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by BufordBoone
Originally Posted by local_dirt

147 what??

9mm or .40 caliber??

Sorry, the original post was about a .40. The Federal 147 referred to is a 9mm round. I am not aware of any 147 gr. .40 loadings that have ever been used by the FBI. My mistake in not specifying.

I am aware of guns blowing up in both 9 and .40. I wouldn't feel comfortable saying "Most" for either caliber. This is simply an admission of "I don't know".

No worries. Thank you. I thought you were referring to 9mm when you said 147. I wasn't aware of any factory load in .40 at 147.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

583 members (11point, 10gaugeman, 16penny, 160user, 1936M71, 10ring1, 71 invisible), 3,049 guests, and 1,307 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,382
Posts18,469,582
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.