Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by okie john
I wish I could shoot well enough to tell the difference.

Okie John

LMAO! Truth be known. I don’t even know you, but there is probably a good chance. That you probably shoot better than a high percentage of the liars that say they can.

Take care, Willie

Cry to the heavens and let slip the dogs of war. For they must feed on the bones of tyranny. In order for men to have freedom and liberty.
GB1

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Well First off, YOU don't know and have NO way of knowing who is lying and who is not.

My dealings with people -- professionally 53 yrs worth -- liars are more suspicious of people lying than those who are not liars.

Makes me suspicious of YOU.

jwall, and I said that.

Last edited by jwall; 07/28/21.

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Originally Posted by jwall
Well First off, YOU don't know and have NO way of knowing who is lying and who is not.

My dealings with people -- professionally 53 yrs worth -- liars are more suspicious of people lying than those who are not liars.

Makes me suspicious of YOU.

jwall, and I said that.

"not too grumpy"
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
A profound statement. I totally agree !!!

"not too grumpy"
W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
You have that right Jwall...

Molon Labe
IC B2

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
I had a Sako 270 that only shot flat base bullets accurately. It did not like boat tail bullets of any weight

Last edited by hanco; 07/28/21.
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Originally Posted by hanco
I had a Sako 270 that only shot flat base bullets accurately. It did not like boat tail bullets of any weight

In my experience that's far more common than the other way around--except of course at longer ranges than the typical 100-yard range where most handloaders do their testing.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S

The pressure envelope around the bullet takes a while to form, the same thing happens to golf balls…

when you shoot them the club (golf ball) follows the direction of the club swing, but after 30-40 yards the spin of the ball forms and you either get a hook, slice, or straight ball.

Bullets in the short ranges do better if they are flat base, and long ranges do better if they are boatails for the same reason.

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
If I have a choice, I'll try the flat base version of a bullet first as it will often show at least slightly greater accuracy during 100 yard group shooting when developing loads. Two examples I can think of are the Sierra .25 caliber 117 grain flat base ProHunter vs. the 117 grain boattail Game King and the Sierra .30 caliber 180 grain flatbase vs. the 180 grain boattail. I think the flatbase versions of these bullets have been discontinued.

Like fixed power scopes, the flat base bullets probably don't sell well among many of today's newschoolers and others who prefer boattail bullets.Many times, the difference between bullet base styles is not great and if you're shooting beyond 300 yards, boattails will often have an advantage.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
My rifles argue about this a lot. I don’t worry about it. Some go one way, some go the other, and a few go both ways.

I’ve heard many times that cast and/or BP loads will never better jacketed smokeless loads either. A few of my guns will argue that point also.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

IC B3

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Originally Posted by DigitalDan
I’ve heard many times that cast and/or BP loads will never better jacketed smokeless loads either. A few of my guns will argue that point also.

Mine too....

Though I have yet to shoot a .15", 5-shot group at 100 yards with cast bullets or a BP rifle--and have done it numerous times with jacketed bullets.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
My experience - flat base bullets are more accurate. But then I don’t shoot bullseye at 500 yards.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
B
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
B

I’ve always had good accuracy and killing power with Sierra Pro Hunter bullets.

Texas bred and born
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
My .250 Savage thinks FB are more better. Top target was 85 Ballistic Tips, which have a short boat tail. Bottom was 100 Partitions. Everybody knows that Ballistic Tips are more accurate than NPT. 100 yards, shot in sequence.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

FWIW, I have never shot a .15" group at 100 yards, or for that matter anything less than .2". OTOH, I have shot some fair groups with paper patch and cast bullets.

Wish my range had a 100 yard line. Dang it. .30 Sneezer...

For purposes of the conversation, is a cup base considered the same as a flat base?

Long time ago there were a bunch of wankers got together and constructed a thing called the National Rifle Club. During the heyday it was all BP and lead, most of the matches held at 200 to 1,000 yards. They used a thing called string measure, which unlike today's scoring measure spread and precision. They measured the distance from the center of the X (POA) to center of hole in the paper (POI), added up the numbers for a total of whatever it was. 10 and 20 shot matches were routine, and sometimes they did 30 shot strings. One of them shot a rather remarkable 10 shot string on the 200 yard butt (that's what they called it back then). I forget the fraction but it was just a little over 6". I have seen photos of targets shot at 600 and 800 yards, both 10 and 20 shot strings, some that measured less than 20". They used what was called slug guns. Muzzle loading with paper patch, false muzzles, all the tricks of the craft.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Fun discussion here.

I'm super lucky in that I belong to a club where we have GREAT conditions almost every evening, dead calm with no shadows.

I'll say that FBs shoot better inside 300 in my 22 CFs, I notice it in group shape and size, with the FB groups smallest and roundest on aggregate. But that reverses beyond 300, and gets obvious further out. So since much of my shooting is either close varmints or paper, I mostly use FB tips or HPs.

Up hills slow,
Down hills fast
Tonnage first and
Safety last.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
D D

You said, "My .250 Savage thinks FB are more better."

Don't you know you can't believe a Savage ? What's the matter with you? whistle confused
grin grin

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
I'm talking about at least three 5-shot groups AVERAGING .15 at 100 yards.

Am familiar with string measure--but also corresponded with a professional statistician a few years ago (he makes his money crunching money numbers, but is also a rifle loony) who said the statistically best measure of a group is probably the standard deviation of ALL the shots in a group from a central point. And string measure comes pretty damn close to doing that.....

John Steinbeck
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Some time back I was fiddling with a Mod 70 SG in .257 Roberts. Fired a group of 2 and another of 3 back to back using 117 Hornady boat tails. Never bothered to measure each group. Twist of the knobs put it on target and life is good.

Digital "Tongue in Cheek" Dan

I am..........disturbed.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Now you can BANK on the Roberts . LOL

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
1/4 bore whores are like that Jerry! I shot a two shot group once with my .25-20 levermatic at 100 that put both cast bullets thru the same hole. Dead center on the X. With a tang sight.

I’d rather be lucky than good,

DD

I am..........disturbed.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

560 members (12344mag, 10gaugemag, 160user, 1936M71, 1234, 007FJ, 53 invisible), 2,597 guests, and 1,374 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,696
Posts18,475,180
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.