-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Calhoun, I'm interested in 99s. I just may order a copy.

GB1

Calhoun Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by 300_savage

A paperback from the website is $21 plus shipping, that hopefully is low enough to not be a problem for anybody. Might want to take a look at the calendar while you're on the web site, it has some very cool pictures of special order engraving, checkering and carving for 1899's. The pocket sized book didn't allow very large pictures, so got permission to use those photos in a calendar for folks who wanted to see lots of detail.

David Royal will have a larger book on engraved and one of a kind 1895's/1899's/99's coming out probably next year. So keep an eye out for his as well.

The Savage 99 Pocket Reference”.
All models and variations of 1895’s, 1899’s and 99’s covered.
Also dates, checkering, engraving.. Find at www.savagelevers.com
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
[quote=Calhoun]
[Linked Image from ]

So, you are Rory Calhoun. aha. grin

I liked him too. wink

“River of No Return” and many other roles.

Calhoun Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Was told my mom thought he was a good looking guy, so I got the name. grin Been called Calhoun since I was a tyke.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Allllright. LIKE

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Calhoun
Originally Posted by 300_savage

A paperback from the website is $21 plus shipping, that hopefully is low enough to not be a problem for anybody. Might want to take a look at the calendar while you're on the web site, it has some very cool pictures of special order engraving, checkering and carving for 1899's. The pocket sized book didn't allow very large pictures, so got permission to use those photos in a calendar for folks who wanted to see lots of detail.

David Royal will have a larger book on engraved and one of a kind 1895's/1899's/99's coming out probably next year. So keep an eye out for his as well.

Will do. My Dad and Uncle Bill both had 99s....in .300, of course.

Calhoun Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
I'd have guessed that. I got started deer hunting with a loaned 99C in 284. Wish I had that rifle.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Yes R C was good looking

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

60 years ago. whistle
laugh

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Rocky,

Thanks for your nice words! Yeah, writing is work--but if you like to write it beats some other jobs.... :-)

You're absolutely right about freelancers having a better chance of selling articles if the subject is somewhat off-beat. Magazines have staff writers to review the latest guns, ammo, scopes, etc.

One of the changes that actually helped gun writers was the switch to digital photography, which happened about the same time pay rates from magazines started dropping. Digital made it far easier and cheaper to put together a photo "package," rather than take slides and get them developed. Taking slides, as you well know, required taking more than one of the same photo, in order to make sure at least one was useable.

Then you either had to mail off the film, or take it to a local shop, for developing. Eileen and I preferred to use a local (and very good) shop to mailing--but as is common in Montana that required a 140-mile round trip. Our switch to digital cameras was paid for the first year just in film development costs, and also saved a LOT of time, since we could immediately see the results. That definitely helped balance the drop in magazine pay rates.

John

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Originally Posted by Pugs

John (or others)

What do you see for the future of what I refer to as "coffee table magazines" like Grays Sporting Journal, Double Gun Journal and such? While one can read work like that on-line it seems to be a better format in print and They seem to have some room for freelance writers. It would be a shame to lose them.

One of my favorite magazines, Eastern Fly Fishing just became American Fly Fishing and while perhaps a little thicker, it's much diluted in subjects and places I'm interested in and as a result I'll likely drop my subscription.

Allen

Allen,

That's an interesting question--partly because a little over a year ago Gray's Sporting Journal asked me to write for them again, and offered enough money to make it possible. I sold my second article to them in 1976, the first full year they published, and did a lot more for them over the next 20+ years (also spending a couple years as their editor), then just got too busy with other markets.

So far have done four stories for them, but right now my "jury" is still out on Gray's future, for a couple of reasons. Will know more in the next few weeks.

John

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
IC B3

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Calhoun/Rory,

I just ordered a copy, since I'm something of a 99 nut. Used to be a lot nuttier, but the idea of having a quick, compact reference to take to gun shows is a great one!

Am also sending you a PM, with some ideas about the present status of self-publishing gun books, which may or may not help.

Good hunting,
John

John Steinbeck
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by Calhoun
Well, that's very kind of you, and thank you very much. I had fun doing it, hopefully folks will get some use out of it.

That's what most of us want from what we do, I think..

I have your link and book picture on my site. It is with the rest of my books. Just scroll down when you go to the page.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
Member - Professional Outdoor Media Association of Canada
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
So far have done four stories for them, but right now my "jury" is still out on Gray's future, for a couple of reasons. Will know more in the next few weeks.

John

Let us know before I get all my friends their Christmas gift subscriptions! grin

If something on the internet makes you angry the odds are you're being manipulated
Calhoun Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Calhoun/Rory,

I just ordered a copy, since I'm something of a 99 nut. Used to be a lot nuttier, but the idea of having a quick, compact reference to take to gun shows is a great one!

Am also sending you a PM, with some ideas about the present status of self-publishing gun books, which may or may not help.

Good hunting,
John

Thank you very much! It's in my mind that I bought a 99G from you a decade or so ago in the classifieds.. I also believe I bought one of your Murray's books.

Originally Posted by Steve Redgwell
I have your link and book picture on my site. It is with the rest of my books. Just scroll down when you go to the page.

Awesome! Appreciate it very much. I'm going to have to pick up that Campfryer book.. don't know how I've missed that.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Posting on the 24hourcampfire "Ask The Gunwriters" forum makes anyone a gunwriter.

Gun....there ya go. I now are one😁🙄

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
laugh laugh laugh

By your post count you have less experience than I. whistle
grin grin

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Okay....just ordered a copy of the book and the calendar. Now I'll be able to talk in a little more detail about my .303 and .22 HP.

Mathew 22: 37-39

Calhoun Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Thank you! I hope you enjoy it, as a 99 nut the calendar blows me away. Let me know what you think.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
MD:

I've completely enjoyed both GSJ and your contributions to it through the years, and I'm glad that you're back adding to the mix with thier particular brand of sporting literature.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by ldholton
Those that can do . Those that can't dont they write / talk about it ...

I would argue that most gunwriters write about what they DID. Ie., hunting, shooting a firearm for review etc etc.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

589 members (160user, 21, 007FJ, 2500HD, 1234, 1beaver_shooter, 69 invisible), 2,564 guests, and 1,324 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,090
Posts18,482,949
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.